40K service

Denny

TDI
2001 golf (blue)
Had the 40K service performed on my 2000 golf TDI gls by the dealer along with TB change and rear breaks. The car now has a strong oil smell both inside and out... my inital thoughts were that there is some residual fuel on various engine compartment nooks and crannies but after runing 200 miles over the weekend the car still has the strong smell! I see no indications of a fuel leak after car has been setting still. odor increases in engine compartment during still idleing. Any pointers before it goes back to HA BOYDS in Lebannon, PA tommorrow? Thanks in advance!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
why did you have the timing belt done? is it an automatic?

Check the lines to the fuel filter, they might not have been put back on correctly, that or they didn't tighten the drain nut on the bottom of the filter.

hope the injector pump is okay.

How's the mileage? Same as before? is the power the same? Here's to hopin the dealer did the timing bet correctly!

Denny

TDI
2001 golf (blue)
Yes it is an automatic and as you know requires TB at 40K. Power is the same...all feels well. Mileage appears about the same although an accurate measure is not posssible till this tank is near empty. I was nervous about the TB change also but it seems to have been done right. The fuel filter install could be the culprit but again no sign of fluids exist on the garage floor!

jhtanstaaf

Veteran Member
I'm going through my 40K right now. Interesting note, one dealer (Danbury VW/Audi) said that 40K TB replacement was no longer required. Said they just needed to "check" it. I said "Wow, I thought it was 40K replacement." He says "used to be & not too many people but us know it's not."

Not liking their service (long story, some other time) I schedule it at another dealer. We're talking about what else is going on with my car & I ask about the TB replacement. Point out that I thought there was a tech bulletin changing the replacement interval. Guy says "yep we got that one" & it says to check at 40, replace at 60 and check again at 80. "But," he says, "we just got another one that says replace at 40". Want to see them?

VWoA has covered this subject completely. So, the conservative guy I am, I'm replacing it at 40. I hope that they've gotten it straightened out by this time next year when the next one gets done (I'm doing a touch over 40K/year).

It'd be interesting to see what they'd say if your dealer got the first announcement changing to 60K and they skipped the replacement. Then it breaks at 55K and you go to get it fixed under warranty (the 100K one) and they tell you it should have been replaced 'cause of the 2nd bulletin that rescinded the first bulletin and your manual says 40 & the sticker on the car says 40 so you're tough out of luck.

JeffT

Veteran Member
VW would be hard pressed to deny any failed TB during the 100K milage warranty, if the car is otherwise stock. There is so much innunendo, confusion, and vageries surrounding when the TB should be changed.

100,001 miles and you'd be out of luck.

I'm not saying don't change it, I am saying that they would have a hard time trying to deny the work as being covered.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Another forum veering off topic to timing belts but while we are at it: my dealer checked the belt in my auto. TDI at the 40,000 mi. service and noted on the statement that it was OK and to be checked at 50,000 (now have nearly 53,000). When I aske he said that the warrenty was still in force with this procedure.

jhtanstaaf

Veteran Member
Talking about timing belts isn't exactly off-topic for one on the 40K service, but I got the "official" VWoA word on TB replacements on the A4 Jetta TDI ---- replace at 40,000 miles if it's an automatic, inspect at 40,000 & replace at 60,000 if it's a standard. There are two tech docs specifying this.

VW is generally not hard-pressed to deny anything under warranty. They put the burden on the buyer to prove compliance with maintenance, etc. I just talked to a guy who bought himself a new turbo (at 50,000 miles) because he couldn't prove he had the 10,000 mile service done (owner accomplished oil changes don't count per VW). He can fight them & their lawyers or he can grunt in disgust. Guess what he's doing?

vegasdzl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 NB DSG
Do as much as you can yourself and sleep at night. I dread all trips to VW service. Every visit has left me damaged in one way or another. My wife is sick of hearing about RB this and TB that so now I just tell it to my son's Pooh doll. Maybe I can use him for some TB muscle when the time comes.

vegasdzl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 NB DSG
Do as much as you can yourself and sleep at night. I dread all trips to VW service. Every visit has left me damaged in one way or another. My wife is sick of hearing about RB this and TB that so now I just tell it to my son's Pooh doll. Maybe I can use him for some TB muscle when the time comes.