-24.5C/-12.1F Startup

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
It was -24.5C/-12.1F this morning. I wasn't able to plug in the car. So it sat for 12hrs in the cold.

The airport was reporting the same temperature. It was -35 with the windchill(which doesn't mater for cars).

Some have asked for startup video in the cold.

Here you go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWm_BTSZHY

I think the vibration at 17 seconds mark is from the tablet resting on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Had many a morning of -30*F starts in Alaska not plugged in, and started up just like yours did. CR is awesome for cold starts!

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I started mine up in -14f overnight temps and it started up real good. Better than any other car I've owned.

No weird noises or groans/whines.

My seats were exceptionally hard though which I found a little odd. Haha

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm surprised by how quickly the glow plug light goes out.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
Nice thanks for the vid!!

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
Great video. I'm surprised at how well it handled a very cold start. Glow plugs barely stayed on.

markitzero

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux, 2012 Passat TDI SEL
Cool! Our Passat TDI starts very quickly compared to our Touareg TDI. I was just at the in-laws for Christmas and it had to sit outside at night in the 20's or so... the first morning it did the standard delay of 3 seconds or so while the glow plug heated and then it started slower than normal and rough idled for about 2 seconds with the glow plug light remaining on until it smoothed out. Next few days it was better so maybe it was just having an off day. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's interesting - would love to see some videos of the Touareg.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Fired right up on Thursday morning at the Sunday River resort in Newry, Maine. Overnight temp was -13F, outside temp at the time of start was 0F. Glow plug light came on for less than 3 seconds. Very impressive!

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
I would not have expected anything less from the TDI. These modern day diesels are pretty amazing as compared to the old days. I used to have a Caterpillar diesel in a class A motorhome. When it was well below 32F, that thing had a horrible time starting and had to run forever to get any heat in the engine.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Looks good… Mine has not seen those temps yet and frankly, I don't real care to see them in the future. But it is good to hear that the TDI will start without issue and without being plugged in. There is still the potential wear issue of getting the extremely cold oil circulating quickly. I wish ours came with a block heater but I don't have a place at the airport or work to plug in anyway so I don't see the sense in going aftermarket at this point.