2015 TDI Oil Leak Help

robahr24

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
I've been trying to research this oil leak of mine, narrowed it down to a few things.

I have a 2015 Passat tdi with 76k miles. Over the last 15k miles, I noticed I've been losing some oil. Began with about a quart the first 10k, then got worse lately with a quart during the last 5k. Originally I thought that I was having a oil pan leak because the foam under the pan was soaked and I really don't make that much of a mess when I do my oil changes. Anyways took the foam off awhile back, and what do you know, no oil from the pan. Yesterday, I got back under there and noticed two areas. Oil/dirt residue around the serpentine belt (hmmm crankshaft/camshaft seals?) and the back side of the transmission.

Pulley Residue:

Transmission Residue:

Could the oil be running down from the front seals, all the way to the back?

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
Hard to tell from your pix, and there are folks FAR more qualified than I am to diagnose what you've posted.

The obvious "other" issue for the transmission-side leak would be the rear main seal.

But, based on year and mileage, wouldn't the engine be covered under the diesel-gate warranty?

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Probabaly camshaft seal. It’s covered under the dieselgate warranty.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Probabaly camshaft seal. It’s covered under the dieselgate warranty.
Good luck of them fixing it unless a CEL is on, which won't happen from a little weeping.

Its right up there with weeping water pumps, VWoA won't touch them unless a CEL is on.

TDI
2015 jetta
I've been trying to research this oil leak of mine, narrowed it down to a few things.

I have a 2015 Passat tdi with 76k miles. Over the last 15k miles, I noticed I've been losing some oil. Began with about a quart the first 10k, then got worse lately with a quart during the last 5k. Originally I thought that I was having a oil pan leak because the foam under the pan was soaked and I really don't make that much of a mess when I do my oil changes. Anyways took the foam off awhile back, and what do you know, no oil from the pan. Yesterday, I got back under there and noticed two areas. Oil/dirt residue around the serpentine belt (hmmm crankshaft/camshaft seals?) and the back side of the transmission.

Pulley Residue:

Transmission Residue:

Could the oil be running down from the front seals, all the way to the back?
Did you get anywhere? Looks similar to my engine.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
VW just covered both front seals for me, no CEL involved. I did need to push the dealer to submit under warranty, though.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Good luck of them fixing it unless a CEL is on, which won't happen from a little weeping.

Its right up there with weeping water pumps, VWoA won't touch them unless a CEL is on.
Actually, VW covered both a weeping water pump and oil pan seal on my 2015 Sportwagon without issues. Both were noted during routine service; that particular dealer seems to be aggressive at finding small issues and getting VW to pay.