2015 Sportwagen Starting question

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Got my 2015 brand new back in August 15 before the whole TDI thing. Got really low miles 8,915 currently. This morning starting was longer than normal. It was kind of cold but not really. It was around 42 degrees this morning so not even freezing. I pressed the starter and it took around 4 seconds where it normally starts up immediately.
On a side note, Friday at a traffic light, I felt like the engine bogged for a second, very lightly, hardly noticeable but it still happened.
I had my yearly service back in July and have never had any problems with the car.
Is this starting thing just kind of normal and I should keep an eye on it or something else?

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Are you sure you waited for the glow plug light in the tach to go out before you tried to start the car? When it's warm, it's easy to get in the habit of starting it up without waiting for the glow plug light to go out. When it's cold, the car starts much more easily when the glow plug runs its full cycle first.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Are you sure you waited for the glow plug light in the tach to go out before you tried to start the car? When it's warm, it's easy to get in the habit of starting it up without waiting for the glow plug light to go out. When it's cold, the car starts much more easily when the glow plug runs its full cycle first.
On the 2015, you don't really have control of the starter, the computer does.

Pushing the butting (if equipped) or turning the key just tells the computer you want to start the engine. Then the computer does whatever it needs to, including waiting for the glowplugs.

In other words, you turn the key, let go of it, and then wait. If it's really cold there may be a delay while the glowplugs warm up before the starter motor is engaged to start the engine.

I've seen the 2015 crank for a few seconds before starting, after it was not used for a week. (It does this by itself, you don't need to hold the key).

Anyway, if it happens once, no big deal. If it happens all the time, something might be wrong. You could try adding some Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (in the white bottle) which would help prevent the fuel from gelling due to cold. Or "Diesel 911" additive if the white bottle doesn't help. If the only thing that changed is the weather got cold, that would be the first thing I'd try.

If you have VCDS, you could try scanning for codes, just to see if anything comes up. Sometimes there can be something stored even if the check engine light isn't on.

Last edited:

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't think it was a glow plug as a friend mentioned that also but I didn't even know I had glow plugs as I have no control over that. I literally just push in the clutch and press the button.
No place to put the key anywhere but keep it in my pocket as the only key hole in this car is the glove box, lol.
I will have my torque app scan for any codes but I haven't seen anything on the dash.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Intercooler icing? It was a common issue on the cjaa engine. Don't know if the newer ones had/have this issue as well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The Mk7 cars have an intercooler that is integrated into the intake manifold, and is cooled by engine coolant. I don't think they have problems with icing.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Mike,

Thanks for the information. I'm not familiar with the '15 models.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
As S2000 says.
At 42 degrees the car may have just been cycling the glow plugs regardless of driver input?? The OP is not aware of the glow plugs so may not know this