2015 Passat: Torque Pro vs VAG DPF

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Have you used both Torque Pro and VAG DPF apps?

I have used Torque Pro for many years in my PD Passat but it seems that VAG DPF is more tailored to monitor the emissions systems of my, new to me, 2015 Passat TDI.

Any thoughts on this please?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I use VAGDPF with my car. I keep it on an old dedicated phone just for this purpose. If it fits your engine/car it is nice to have all the numbers right there and the visual graphic showing what is going on. Pretty nice in my opinion.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
App was written by someone in England (the country) IIRC. Some cars/engines aren't supported here and he isn't updating for those. So try the freeware version first and see if your car/engine is supported and it works, before getting the paid app.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
At times it is easier to see the graphic for what is going on (while driving) than to try and read the numbers to tell what is happening. It gradually changes colors while warming up and then in regeneration and then when cooling back down.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
^^^ Good inputs, thanks.

Anyone has used the VAG DPF app in their 2015 Passat?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I use the same BAFX OBD2 scanner. It works for both Torque Pro and the VAG DPF tool. And I have both apps, which I view as complementary as opposed to either/or.

Torque Pro is a more robust app overall, and useful for many other purposes, but for reasons Lightflyer1 mentions above the VAG DPF tool is easier to use for purposes of monitoring regens. You can set the refresh rates in settings to auto-update constantly or every few seconds, and it can give you audio cues when regens start and end. Worth the $5 or whatever for the pro version, even though I view it as long-term/temporary until i can get the alphabet soup delete project done.

I don't believe the CKRA (2012-14) is technically supported by VAG DPF, but the app recognizes the engine code and everything seems to work fine. I assume same for CVCA (2015). But yeah, try the free version first and just make sure it works connecting with your car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I tried the VAG DPF app, but with custom PDIs on Torque pro I care more about other measuring blocks that torque can provide (i never got custom PDI's for soot volume) fuel rail pressure, boost, CAIT, coolant, 2 or 3 EGT sensors, DPF pressure delta.

The same PIDs worked on our old 2010 CJAA, our 12 Passat and our 15 Passat, it's loaded on an old old amazon fire tablet from 2013/4 that it still chugging along although the battery life is minimal. Seeing its the wife's car, i only bother hooking it up when i take it for road trips, so it gets used onece or twice a year.