2015 Jetta oil consumption? Noise from rear cold start

Jbrady13

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Hey all. Long time reader, infrequent poster.
2015 Jetta TDI. 88,000 miles. Oil light came on last week, checked the level and it seemed ok, but struggled with reading the dipstick. Was off again until yesterday, I pulled the stick and let it sit overnight. Checked and the level was below the rectangle with the hash marks. Added about a full quart, it is now about mid way between the hash marks. Last oil change was about 6000 miles. Is this something to be concerned about? No leaks on the garage floor at all.
One other thing to note, when I start the car cold, there is a whooshing sound that comes from the rear of the car (was thinking something to do with the AdBlue system?) that seems to go away after the car is warmed up/driven a bit. Sometimes it’s a sporadic sound, sometimes solid.

Jbrady13

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Sounds like the exhaust flap actuation, creates back pressure to help warm up emissions system along with EGR cycles. Whoosh you hear is it opening, they are common issue with them getting sticky, jamming and failing. If they get bad enough they will throw a code. It made my Jetta bog down sometimes at traffic lights randomly during warmup
Thanks for the info. Is the noise normal then? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard it for awhile. The car overall has gotten somewhat louder over time.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of CVCA and CRUA engines consume some oil. There are multiple threads here on that subject. Not quite Subaru levels of it, so I don't think it is a concern so long as you monitor it. VAG gassers consume more, too.

The DEF tank pump may be the noise you are hearing. It could be that something is starting to go wrong, has the DEF usage changed? Noticed any urea smells?

Jbrady13

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Thanks. Yeah I read a lot of threads but many seemed to say that at 88k, oil use should be minimal to none. The sound is more of an air sound. No change in usage of the DEF. The car is somewhat smelly but to me it it’s just an exhaust smell. I’ll warm it up in the garage with the door open and can smell when I come around behind it but again just like exhaust. I’m not sure that’s really something new with it though.