2015 Golf TDI SportWagen Manual Frequent Problems?

JEMO

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've been looking into buying a new car. I think I have finally settled on the 2015 VW Golf TDI SportWagen manual transmission, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot on frequent problems these cars have. Every time I search all I see is Diesel gate headlines :rolleyes:

What kind of mechanical problems can I expect from these cars?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
just read up around here. don't talk yourself out of it, but these cars are involved and not for everyone. you'll need to get educated on the car's systems and especially the extended warranty. in a nutshell: 10y/60k from original in-service date AND 3y/40k from date of fix which ever is LONGER. covers anything that causes the CEL and the complete longblock. some dealer service centers are better than others.

broken front springs
HPFP failures
DPF/EGR issues
sunroof leaks

these cars require regular maintenance using approved fluids. if you are looking at one, get the VIN and call a dealer to see if there is a history on the car. you can also take the vin to the VW diesel site to see what the fix/warranty status is.

good luck!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Mostly emissions systems problems. And there will be emissions system problems. Your best bet is to find one with lots of warranty left.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Just to clarify the above, the Gen3 emissions warranty (for the 2015) is:

The greater of:
  • 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from
    the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
  • 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
    date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.
    At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
    extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000
    miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
    the completion of Phase 2.
Gen 3 (2015) Fix Disclosure
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...ssions_Modification_Disclosure_Volkswagen.pdf

One reason there hasn't been as many posts on problems is that, for the US and Canada, the Mk7 TDI is only one year, and many have lower miles than previous cars (and there are fewer owners). The cars are notably different than the Mk6, and it would be best to spend some time reading in the Mk7 forum. On the very first page, within the first ten threads, you will usually find:

The 2015 has not seen the HPFP failures that were more common in the Mk6, and fewer DPF issues. Sunroof leaks accompany sunroofs.

HTH.