2014 RAM EcoDiesel, so far very impressed

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Just picked up my 2014 RAM EcoDiesel this week, give me a few days and I'll give my first impressions, so far very impressed

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
get some high audio quality videos up on youtube, you can make quite the cash on early adapter videos.
I am curious on how it sounds half throttle up some hills :D

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine sound: Outside noticeable but a welcome diesel sound (sounds like a 2014 Cummins from the inside). Inside very hard to tell it's a diesel.

Acceleration: Not bad for a full size truck, but you'll be disappointed if you just drove a 3.0 Touareg TDI. The truck weighs 6,000 pounds. Passing acceraton is fantastic 65 to 90 mph happens very fast.

Infotainment: U-Connect completely blows any VW infotainment system I've ever used out of the water. The huge 8.4" touchscreen, and 7” integrated gauge cluster are feature rich and actually work. It's also very fast.

Transmission: The eight speed Trans shifts seamlessly. "Manual" shift buttons are located on the steering wheel. With the 3.55 axle 2000 RPM at 75MPH

Economy: With 95% highway my average is 27.9 MPG (not bad) (4X4)

Ride: The truck rides like a large sedan. Just floats down the road.

Fit and finish: About the best you can get. Leather is top grade, soft touch plastics look premium, seats are well-crafted.

Pictures and YouTube videos

YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVtGTA1DQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEyxyJNp4I

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Very nice, Congrats, looking at something similar to replace the golf wagon

Economy sounds about right

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Really nice truck! I hope it does well for Ram too! The half ton Rams do not meet my needs, but they are really making a great truck! Lots of new Ram owners.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
When I saw this I was mad that Ford didn't do it first! Diesel magazine road tested it n got 28 mpg on the highway, 19 mpg with a 7k lbs trailer! Very impressive. Know what else is impressive? That "RAM 1500" ugly billboard sign on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
When I saw this I was mad that Ford didn't do it first! Diesel magazine road tested it n got 28 mpg on the highway, 19 mpg with a 7k lbs trailer! Very impressive. Know what else is impressive? That "RAM 1500" ugly billboard sign on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ram 1500 badge is easily removed if it's offensive to you.
Important badge is the one with "diesel".:)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Im surprised that Ford and Chevy still make their Diesel pieces of crap, the only Diesel truck to buy is the Cummins, nuff said...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This, however, is not a Cummins. It's a Fiat diesel.

Nice looking beast Jrock. I want the diesel on the smaller platform becuase I just can't justify a full sized truck anymore.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
What the percent gauge at the bottom left? Battery?

Awesome rig, would love to own one someday! Hook a load to it and see what it does.

27.9mpg AVG is Dallas is fantastic, what cruising speed are you doing?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Im surprised that Ford and Chevy still make their Diesel pieces of crap, the only Diesel truck to buy is the Cummins, nuff said...
Diesel pieces of crap? Duramax is a piece of crap? Your lack of knowledge about HD American trucks is kinda funny...these statements only reflect on the poster...not the products of which you speak. Do some research. See how many HD owners love their Duramaxes and their old 7.3 Fords...the 6.0litres have issues but the new Ford 6.7 is looking good and real quiet....Cummins is a great engine but its old, 6 cylinder and needs an update. Let's get real shall we?

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
I saw this truck at the NY auto show and was able to see the engine in a display stand. Let me say it looks amazingly uncomplicated. Injectors and glow plugs look super easy to removed. Hpfp also very easily removed. It's basically the easiest looking modern day diesel to work on. Can't wait!

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
I saw this truck at the NY auto show and was able to see the engine in a display stand. Let me say it looks amazingly uncomplicated. Injectors and glow plugs look super easy to removed. Hpfp also very easily removed. It's basically the easiest looking modern day diesel to work on. Can't wait!
I wonder why they didn't go with the grid heater like the Cummins do as opposed to glow plugs. One of the things most diesel Ram trucks guys are proud of is the ability to cold start. The grid heater uses more juice than glow plugs, but seems more effective at cold starts and maintaining temps in the engine after the cold start.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I wonder why they didn't go with the grid heater like the Cummins do as opposed to glow plugs. One of the things most diesel Ram trucks guys are proud of is the ability to cold start. The grid heater uses more juice than glow plugs, but seems more effective at cold starts and maintaining temps in the engine after the cold start.
I think it is because glow plugs can be much faster in getting a start. Grid heater is pretty big and slow to heat, and then the hot air has to be drawn through cold metal to get in the cylinders. GP is right in the cylinder and that little spec of heat is enough to light off the fuel. But the cylinder head must be designed from the start to have a GP port, not easy to add one later in a 4v head.

I'm ok with the GP's.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Yeah, I guess with an engine with half the displacement, glowplugs have less metal and air to warmup.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Glow plugs in general are more efficient at helping cold starts. But, they also have a higher failure rate.

Unless its good and cold, almost all common rail diesel's don't need any sort of aid starting, they only need it for emissions. That's where a grid heater is better, they can "glow" longer while the engine is running, without the risk of burning them up, helping cold emissions.

Now you get into the older mechanical and or IDI stuff, and thats where you need to have cold start aids to start. I wouldnt try to start my IDI at any temp less than 80 degrees without glow plugs. Anything higher than 80* and it will start within 1-2 seconds of cranking, less than 80* it increases obviously.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

That's right, Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I really like the idea of this.

I plan on getting a tonneau cover. My goal is 30 mpg. (crazy for a full size 4x4 pickup truck).

Just filled up yesterday, still getting use to the idea of the "Easy Fuel" Capless Fuel Filler.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
Hopefully if this catches on it will encourage Ford and GM to start moving in this direction. They both have diesel engines that could potentially be adapted to the half-ton segment. And with Nissan and Toyota working with Cummins, and just the increase in diesels in the US overall, it is probably a matter of when and not if.

I saw no reason to go down to a half-ton if a 3/4-1ton got better gas mileage. Its a shame this didn't start before all the emissions came out.

How many miles do you have on it and how does the DEF usage look?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The grid heater is a very inefficient (and slow) way of starting a diesel. High speed glow plugs can get you going in under three seconds even in the coldest weather.

The DEF gauge seems silly... I'd much rather have a boost gauge.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hopefully if this catches on it will encourage Ford and GM to start moving in this direction. They both have diesel engines that could potentially be adapted to the half-ton segment. And with Nissan and Toyota working with Cummins, and just the increase in diesels in the US overall, it is probably a matter of when and not if.

I saw no reason to go down to a half-ton if a 3/4-1ton got better gas mileage. Its a shame this didn't start before all the emissions came out.

How many miles do you have on it and how does the DEF usage look?
I think GM will offer the diesel in the Colorado/canyon platform before the 1500 platform. See if it catches on without hurting the cash cow sales.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Dunno about this engines usage but I'd love to have a def gauge in the truck. It uses def a lot faster than the Passat.
IF it ends up using fuel at twice the rate, I would expect it to use DEF also at twice the rate (of a Passat).

(making no claims for fuel usage of either vehicle, just stating the obvious)

I think I'd like one of them, I just don't need a pickup at this time.

Bill