(2014 Passat TDI SEL) Strange, repetitive noise getting louder...

KCl94

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here and I would appreciate it a lot if you guys could help me out to find out what's wrong with my car.

I got this car about a month ago. Yesterday, when driving from A to B I started noticing this weird sound which I don't even know how to describe. I am attaching two YouTube links so you guys can listen to it and hopefully guide me through the process of getting this fixed (or at the very least, tell me what could the reason be for this weird noise).

I have to say that I bought this car with a MIL code (p023A: Coolant pump) and due to current circumstances I have not had the opportunity to have this issue fixed. Is it possible that there is a connection between that noise and the MIL code? Thank you all!

First video. The sound is noticeable but "disappears" when music is playing.

The noise is getting louder and it can be heard "behind" the music.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
I'm assuming your 2014 has been modified? If so, it's possible this is an issue covered under the emissions warranty. Assuming you're not past the mileage, it would be worth having it looked at. The coverage states that anything detected by the OBD system should be covered, so long as it's not the transmission.

But that sound to me like something mechanically failing. I'm not as knowledgeable on these as others, though.

KCl94

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
I'm assuming your 2014 has been modified? If so, it's possible this is an issue covered under the emissions warranty. Assuming you're not past the mileage, it would be worth having it looked at. The coverage states that anything detected by the OBD system should be covered, so long as it's not the transmission.

But that sound to me like something mechanically failing. I'm not as knowledgeable on these as others, though.
Hi Senez!
Well... is at 105k miles now so I don't think that will be covered by the warranty. Definitely it's some sort of a mechanical failure but no idea of what it could be. The car drives and stops fine so...

KCl94

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
How did you buy this car and not be aware of this warranty?
Well, I bought it because I liked it? This is my first diesel car, so I am still learning lots of things about it... like the emissions problem(s).

Thanks for the help, anyway. Let me get in touch with VW then!

KCl94

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
I gave you the link to the warranty. It is covered as it set a check engine light and it isn't for the trans.
1000% right about that! Brought it to VW and it will be fixed for free as soon as the parts arrive!

Sounds like your a/c.
Try shutting it off and let me know if it goes away
For some reason, this noise can only be heard INSIDE the car, so I am a bit suspicious of the AC as well, I have tried turning it on/off, or driving with it on/off but that doesn't make a difference. The noise never got any louder than in the video (luckily), and it only pops up every once in a while, it doesn't bother me 24/7. The guys at VW told me they couldn't hear anything, sneaky thing...

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I have a sound something like that, it seemed to be from the fuel pump and initially only happened when fuel was very low, when fuel low light was on. Now makes the noise at random times regardless of fuel level.
I had it in to the dealer and they couldn’t find anything, no code set and when I had it in, they couldn’t hear it. Then COVID came and since I have lots of warranty, I haven’t chased it.
Be curious to know what made your noise after it is fixed.

KCl94

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
So what ended up being the issue?
Well, I still don't know what the noise-related issue is, but the p023A MIL code will be fixed this Thursday and, hopefully, that will solve the issue?

Be curious to know what made your noise after it is fixed.
Definitely! Hoping that the upcoming fix will solve this at the same time! And just like it happened to you, at the dealer they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with my car besides the engine light 🤷‍♂️

sounds like your in tank fuel lift pump.
I have 0 idea of what that is, any advice you can give in order to identify this guy as the cause of the problem? Someone else in a different blog mentioned the Dual Mass Flywheel...

Last edited:

bimmerjoe

TDI
2009 jetta highline
My car literally makes the identical sound. And as soon as I shut a/c off if stops.
Sounds like the car is breathing lol

KCl94

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
My car literally makes the identical sound. And as soon as I shut a/c off if stops.
Sounds like the car is breathing lol
THANK YOU! I knew I was not the only one who thought of that!

That same thing happens with my car SOMETIMES, and vice-versa. SOMETIMES it just doesn't care and continues to "breath" until I turn the car off.