2014 Passat TDI SEL Poor Mileage

joshferrer

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL (CKRA)
Posted this first on VW Vortex (before my account was just approved for here) so sorry to those of you seeing this twice.

Just picked up a certified pre-owned 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 58k miles last Tuesday.

After putting on about 1,000 miles on the car in the last week and tracking the mileage (I've been filling up every 1/2 tank to keep track), I'm finding that I'm not happy with the MPGs this car is getting, at least compared to my previous 2014 Passat TDI SE.

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction to figure this out. I'm comparing this car to my previous car, which other than it being an SE, is the exact same car with the exact same engine.

After 4 fill ups of ULSD here in Southern California, I'm averaging 32.54 MPG. On my previous Passat, I was averaging 41.20 MPG.

Things to note:

-I bought this SEL a week ago. According to the Carfax report, and the VW dealer I bought it from, it was properly maintained at the 10,000 intervals. I also made sure the DSG fluid was flushed when I bought it. It is also up to date with the emissions fix.

-The car came with brand new Evergreen EU76 tires. I don't know much about this tire and there isn't much information on the internet. It seems to be a softer compound than the Next N-5000's I had on my other car.

-I do a lot of highway driving and I use cruise control ALL the time. I have a light foot and am always trying to get the best MPG possible. Driving style, load, weather and traffic haven't changed from the other car.

-This SEL does seem to be a little more sluggish than my SE when I floor the pedal.

-Both Passats had the emissions fix done to them.

-I'll drive 250 miles and it's already at half a tank. I could, on average, drive 350 miles on my other one before getting to half a tank. I could get from Los Angeles to San Francisco on half a tank. I don't think I'd come close to that on this car.

-No mods done to either car.

-The car was recently serviced at the dealer before I bought it but not sure what kind of oil they put in it. I'm sure something recommended by the VW dealer. I had been using Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic at 5k-6k mile intervals for about 125k miles.

I did notice that within the last 3 days the coolant temperature needle has been riding just a little hotter under a bit more of a load. Taking it in tomorrow for the dealer to check it out. Maybe they can replace the thermostat and water pump under the certified warranty. When I ran across thermostat and water pump issues on my SE, it was at 140k and never suffered more than a couple MPGs.

Anyways, anybody have any ideas on what could be the reason why it's 9 MPG less than what I was getting on my other Passat?

madmax951

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
The emissions fix killed your fuel economy, my 2014 Passat SEL was getting 35 in town now after the "fix" it gets 25. Out on the open road I probably average 35mpg, when I was getting 45+.

Matt M