2013 VW JSW TDI -- Code P00D5

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
So I got this code a month or so ago (P00D5) in my 2013 JSW TDI around 43000 miles. I Googled it and the only threads were related to older flashes around 2011 or 2012 or so. After a few weeks I took it in and they said the rear O2 sensor needed to be replaced. With the "buyback" happening later this year I did not want to put out much money but I have to reregister the vehicle before then and did not want an issue. I have (thanks to the wife) the Platinum Plus extended service contract that VW sponsors and so I only had to pay the $100 deductible.

However, 2 days later, and maybe 100 miles, the CEL is on again and the code is coming through as the same P00D5 again. I don't have the VCDS, just a cheap OBD-II WiFi reader and a smartphone app, so I just have the code.

Before I call the dealer back up and tell them the code they supposedly fixed just came back on about 100 miles after charging me (mostly charging the extended contract provider) to replace the rear O2 sensor, I wanted to research this and find out what I should be doing. It seems this is happening to others and dollar to donuts is related to "diesel gate" -- maybe the extra emissions polluting the O2 sensor?

Before I call, what should I do and what information would potentially be helpful when I call the dealer?