2013 JSW Handbrake adjust

gmcinnes

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
Hi:

I have a 2013 JSW with the automatically adjusting handbrake. It seems I may have over tightened it. Is there any way to loosen it without taking out the whole center console?

Also, I've started taking out the back of the console. My model has a 110v outlet there. I"ve got the outlet portion out, but the rear fascia component with the air vents wont budge. I'm reluctant to start pulling any harder on it. I have the VW service manual, which seems to show it should just swing out, but it really doesn't feel like it wants to go anywhere. Has anyone removed it on a 110v outlet model?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
How did you overtighten the handbrake cables without getting access to the ends under the console?

If you mean the handbrake keeps adjusting itself on and not releasing, I had that problem once. The adjustment is all in the caliper and if the auto adjusting mechanism is not working properly the only solution I know of is a new caliper. $$$ Winding the brake adjustment off, manually setting it and not touching the handbrake again gets old very fast.

The adjustment under the console just controls how far up the handbrake lever moves before the brake is fully on. As long as the cables are not too tight it doesn’t affect the brake adjustment. The only way the cables can get too tight is if someone over tightened them or the sheathes have rusted and you need new cables.

I recently installed new cables and had to remove the console. I think I found more screws holding it down than expected. I think one each side at the back, one under the rubber mat in the bottom of the storage compartment, possibly one in the front of the storage compartment hidden behind a cover and there was something else perhaps to do with the sides of the storage compartment. Once I found all the screws it came up easily, only needed just enough space to wiggle a ratchet under and undo the nuts.
I found some sort of guide on line but perhaps it was from myturbodiesel. Might have been for a mk5 too.

gmcinnes

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
As I understand it, the mkVI has an automatic cable adjustment system that doesn't rely on you accessing the cable ends. Keeping the handbrake button depressed, you raise the brake to its maximum extent a few times. And repeat until it's in spec.

I've done this twice. The throw on the handbrake is now too short, and the cables are so short that they don't allow the caliper to fully release, and the brakes drag. (I suspect I also need new cables and possibly calipers though).

I think I *should* be able to access the cable ends just taking the back of the center console (where the vents are) out. At least, as far as I can tell, I should be able to poke the automatic adjuster ratchet mechanism with a screwdriver and get it to release.

How did you overtighten the handbrake cables without getting access to the ends under the console?

If you mean the handbrake keeps adjusting itself on and not releasing, I had that problem once. The adjustment is all in the caliper and if the auto adjusting mechanism is not working properly the only solution I know of is a new caliper. $$$ Winding the brake adjustment off, manually setting it and not touching the handbrake again gets old very fast.

The adjustment under the console just controls how far up the handbrake lever moves before the brake is fully on. As long as the cables are not too tight it doesn’t affect the brake adjustment. The only way the cables can get too tight is if someone over tightened them or the sheathes have rusted and you need new cables.

I recently installed new cables and had to remove the console. I think I found more screws holding it down than expected. I think one each side at the back, one under the rubber mat in the bottom of the storage compartment, possibly one in the front of the storage compartment hidden behind a cover and there was something else perhaps to do with the sides of the storage compartment. Once I found all the screws it came up easily, only needed just enough space to wiggle a ratchet under and undo the nuts.
I found some sort of guide on line but perhaps it was from myturbodiesel. Might have been for a mk5 too.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
To me, it sounds like the emergency brake auto-adjust calipers might be suspect. With the rear end up on jack stands, try disconnecting the e-brake cables from both calipers and see if the levers fully retract. The rear wheels should spin freely (or have minimal drag) w/o the cables connected. Then by hand, engage the caliper levers to test each caliper for smooth e-brake engagement.

These multi-function rear calipers on the VWs are great when they work, but if the disk is not retracted properly when replacing the brake pads, the calipers will never work properly again. I do prefer the BMW design with the e-brake shoes inside the rotor, and the caliper is just a brake caliper w/o the added complexity of an e-brake function.

Let us know the results and then we can offer additional guidance.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi:

I have a 2013 JSW with the automatically adjusting handbrake. It seems I may have over tightened it. Is there any way to loosen it without taking out the whole center console?

Also, I've started taking out the back of the console. My model has a 110v outlet there. I"ve got the outlet portion out, but the rear fascia component with the air vents wont budge. I'm reluctant to start pulling any harder on it. I have the VW service manual, which seems to show it should just swing out, but it really doesn't feel like it wants to go anywhere. Has anyone removed it on a 110v outlet model?
Goodmorning,

Did you ever figure out your emergency handbrake issue?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If the caliper levers return to the stop or enough to permit the wheel to turn freely then it sounds like the cables are binding internally.