2013 Jetta TDI Battery light lingering at startup

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I have a 2013 Jetta TDI engine attached to a DSG trans and the (red) battery shaped light is starting to stay illuminated after start up.
Battery is a 3.3 yrd old World SourceOne 48MF 70/680 Group 48/H6

The issue was first noticed earlier this week when the battery icon stayed illuminated for 1 or 2 Mississippi's after startup. Two to three days later (on a 20 degree morning) it stayed on for noticeably longer (maybe up to 10-15 seconds).
I checked the voltage at the battery
12.2 with engine off
10.5 engine running, battery light illuminated
14.4 engine running, battery light not illuminated

So these seems to me to be an alternator/charging issue.
I checked the pulley by confirming the fins inside the alternator will spin in 1 direction, but this was after the light had gone out (& car turned off).
Tomorrow, I will check pulley function before starting and see if I observe good pulley function and experience an illuminated battery icon.
Of course this troubleshooting may be somewhat meaningless, as I do not have the tool to remove the pulley from the alternator.

If this requires an alternator R/R, is there any compatible alternators found on other VW/Audi's? I'd rather try to find a good used 1 at the local salvage yard, they get 1 from a FLAPS. Even if that means I have to repeat this process in a few weeks/months as my experience shows using a FLAPS "reman" product an almost guaranteed repeat of the process.

I've read a few different DIY's and would like some "been there done that" on it topside or bottom (swinging AC compressor out of way, but lines stay connected) is better? Does it require Service Position? Or what may have worked for you?

Thanks!

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Update: Checked the pulley as described above before starting today. Function seemed fine.

Observed the battery icon staying illuminated after start up for ~20 seconds.
Replaced battery with an AGM unit and repeated the voltage checks above
12.4 with engine off
12.0 engine running, battery light illuminated
14.2 engine running, battery light not illuminated

In short, the new battery did not make any meaningful difference.

The FLAPS was not able to test the charging system today, will try another FLAPS to see if they can confirm for me the alternator is good or bad (I'm believing bad).

Grabbed an alternator at the local salvage yard today, there were 4-5 to choose from, went with the newest OE, unit I could find. Will try to do some "bench testing" on this before attempting to install. It is an OEM VW AG Bosch unit (p/n 06F 903 023F, prod date 31/13 (31st week of 2013?).

Unfortunately, I was not able to attempt to remove any of the above alternators from the car with the engine in the normal position. Each car either had the core support missing, or the engine had been dropped to the ground. As a result, I was not able to see if it is possible to R/R the alternator w/out putting the car into service position.

Thanks

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It sounds like the alternator on your car is failing, often when I see those signs its because the slip rings are wearing out. Right after startup is the time when they have the most load on them because its catching up from starting.
Right now I got a shipment of new OEM alternators for those for a deal and am selling them for $285 plus shipping.
You can pull them without putting in service position, but service position is a lot easier than dropping the ac compressor or pulling the radiator fans which are what is needed to do it without service position.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
It sounds like the alternator on your car is failing, often when I see those signs its because the slip rings are wearing out. Right after startup is the time when they have the most load on them because its catching up from starting.
Right now I got a shipment of new OEM alternators for those for a deal and am selling them for $285 plus shipping.
You can pull them without putting in service position, but service position is a lot easier than dropping the ac compressor or pulling the radiator fans which are what is needed to do it without service position.
Thanks for the feedback.

“ new OEM alternators … for $285 plus shipping”
New? Or remanufactured?

I’ll look at the rad fan method, as I HATE removing the bumper.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thanks for the feedback.

“ new OEM alternators … for $285 plus shipping”
New? Or remanufactured?

I’ll look at the rad fan method, as I HATE removing the bumper.
Those are new oem ones, not remanufactured.