2012 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5 liter Rear Springs Broke....Bolt Question

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Both rear springs broke, I bought springs from the dealer and put it together. I removed the outer lower control arm bolt to swap the springs. I put it back together with the original bolts and torqued to 55 lb/ft based on the bolt size. I don't have a Bentley for this car, so I thought I'd ask you guys what the bolt torque is and whether I should replace these bolts? Are they single use stretch bolts? More generally, how the hell do you recognize if a bolt is single use? Sometimes the Bentley is wrong, I often find different answers doing internet searches and the dealers says either "I dunno" or "we always replace those" or "we always reuse those". Thanks.

Update. Called the dealer to see if bolt is single use. They said no, only the nut is single use because it is a locking nut.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The big bottom shock mount bolt? I don't think that's tty. I've always reused it. The small upper shock mount bolts may be tty. I never went too crazy tightening those due to the small size and I think they thread into aluminum.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks all, dealer will give me two nuts for free :). Think I will go with a hybrid solution, use the old bolt and torque the new nut to 55 lb/ft.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i'm coming up with 180nm for that bolt which equals 134ft/lb. i've done it several times and have reused the bolt and nut without worry or issues.