2011 TDI in short supply?

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
I'm trying to find one with nav, premium plus and sport (initially titanium). But my dealer says he can't find one. Anyone know if they're in short supply? Can anyone check for me?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Have you checked through Audi USA or Autotrader?

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Does Chris do A3s? Audi's site is pretty useless, as are dealers' - they don't list the packages and some don't even list prices. The Audi dealers around here are pretty pathetic when it comes to web stuff.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Local dealer reported today that if a shipment of ten TDIs come in, half are pre sold, the other half sell within 48 hours. I have no means to verify this claim, but this seems indicative of high demand.

The same dealer also claims a high number of misfuels. Generally happen in the first 3k by drivers who have just switched over from a gasser, or by secondary drivers (family/friends) topping off.

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
I'm trying to find one with nav, premium plus and sport (initially titanium). But my dealer says he can't find one. Anyone know if they're in short supply? Can anyone check for me?
The dealer should happily order you one with the exact specifications that you want. I think these cars are going pretty quickly now. I jumped on mine within a week of it being posted on Autotrader.

PSJoyce

TDI
A3
I’d say they’re pretty hard to find. I found a Premium Plus at a reasonably close by dealer on line Monday morning, called, drove up and traded my 2000 A4 2.8 q in for the A3 TDI. Dealer received two on Friday and had one more on the way. By Monday morning mine was the only one not sold, and by noon, it was, too. Another dealer had told me that no more will be available until the 2012 models arrive in September.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Go to this site..

www.cars.com

you can search the whole country..

I found 124 New and 21 Used Audi A3's for sale on that site. Do the advanced search so you can select diesel.

Last edited:

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Slightly different question: if you could get a 2010 335d with 19k miles CPO for $3k more than a fully equipped A3 2011 TDI with 5k miles, which would you choose? The 335d doesn't have nav but it's got everything else the A3 has.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
You know, I love the power but I got a diesel because of MPG and the A3 is better.

Don't get me wrong I love the look but I would go A3 before the 335d. Stupid? Probably, but that is just my opinion.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Well, that's what I did. I even got the 335d for slightly less than originally thought *and* it has the BMW maintenance plan for 100k miles. The original owner bought it and it follows the car. Not just the CPO warranty, but maintenance too. Through 11/2015, or a full year longer than the A3.

Slam dunk of a deal, IMHO. I struggled with this decision because I've always wanted an Audi and never, ever, thought of myself as a BMW driver (really. It never even crossed my mind). The extra maintenance plus the fact that the 335 had already depreciated over 10k from MSRP when the A3 was nearly at new MSRP and faced much more depreciation, I felt like the 335 was the wiser financial move. Ah, well. Maybe my next car will be an Audi. Hopefully the A4 makes it over as a TDI.

It's been fun, guys. As of mid-week, I'll no longer have a TDI. I will always think fondly of my first diesel experience. :)

blueprintbill

TDI
A3 TDI 2011
Order Delivery Time

I took delivery of my new, Ibis White A3, sans sunroof, with xenon headlights, walnut trim and heated seats, ( a special ordered car ), April 26, 2011. The car was ordered Feb. 23, which amounted to a 9 week wait. My last car was driven for 22 years, so in the grand scheme of things, if I can keep this one going, the wait time will be long forgotten.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, that's what I did. I even got the 335d for slightly less than originally thought *and* it has the BMW maintenance plan for 100k miles. The original owner bought it and it follows the car. Not just the CPO warranty, but maintenance too. Through 11/2015, or a full year longer than the A3.

Slam dunk of a deal, IMHO. I struggled with this decision because I've always wanted an Audi and never, ever, thought of myself as a BMW driver (really. It never even crossed my mind). The extra maintenance plus the fact that the 335 had already depreciated over 10k from MSRP when the A3 was nearly at new MSRP and faced much more depreciation, I felt like the 335 was the wiser financial move. Ah, well. Maybe my next car will be an Audi. Hopefully the A4 makes it over as a TDI.

It's been fun, guys. As of mid-week, I'll no longer have a TDI. I will always think fondly of my first diesel experience. :)
Can I ask what you had to spend?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
also isn't the 335d turbo direct inject? slap a TDI badge on it

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Can I ask what you had to spend?
Well, when I started looking, it was low $30s. After really looking at my options and wanting to get a newish car, it went up to the upper $30s. The only A3 TDI in the area with the things I wanted was a 2011 with 5k miles on it and they were pretty stuck on their price. They ended up with an offer of $38.5k OTD (including Audi care). The BMW offered a 2010 with all the niceties except nav, CPO warranty AND the no cost maintenance until 11/2015 (a full year longer than the A3) for $41k OTD.

I thought long and hard about it and decided that if I was going to get a new (to me) car, the BMW was surely the better deal. It had depreciated about $10k off MSRP while the Audi was just $1k or so off MSRP. I couldn't get a used car at new prices.

I might just slap a TDI badge on it in solidarity. After all, it was the TDI that got me started on diesel. If VAG would just get their head out of their butts and bring over more TDIs things would have been much different.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If i had the cash, I'd probably be sitting right there with you.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, when I started looking, it was low $30s. After really looking at my options and wanting to get a newish car, it went up to the upper $30s. The only A3 TDI in the area with the things I wanted was a 2011 with 5k miles on it and they were pretty stuck on their price. They ended up with an offer of $38.5k OTD (including Audi care). The BMW offered a 2010 with all the niceties except nav, CPO warranty AND the no cost maintenance until 11/2015 (a full year longer than the A3) for $41k OTD.

I thought long and hard about it and decided that if I was going to get a new (to me) car, the BMW was surely the better deal. It had depreciated about $10k off MSRP while the Audi was just $1k or so off MSRP. I couldn't get a used car at new prices.

I might just slap a TDI badge on it in solidarity. After all, it was the TDI that got me started on diesel. If VAG would just get their head out of their butts and bring over more TDIs things would have been much different.
That maintenance warranty is huge!

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
great purchase on the 335d torifile. I just finished my search (also starting in the low 30s), and ended up in the mid 30s. There were a couple 335d's that I was tempted for, but they were all just a little out of the budget still. I did test drive a 335xi, and that was a lot of fun to drive. Good luck w/the bimmer!

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
great purchase on the 335d torifile. I just finished my search (also starting in the low 30s), and ended up in the mid 30s. There were a couple 335d's that I was tempted for, but they were all just a little out of the budget still. I did test drive a 335xi, and that was a lot of fun to drive. Good luck w/the bimmer!
Wife and I have been tdiless for about 20 mos now. Darn pd engines are just too much trouble with cam wear.Her B5 passat engine was replaced under warranty at about 49000 miles. Yes, I always used 505.01. I was concerned with my jetta pd engine at 68000 miles so said so long to vw.

Anyway, last week, I drove a2009 335d with 18500 miles on it at my Lexus dealer. Car was pretty much a stripped down model and they had price of 39900 on it but immediately came down to about 35700plus my trade which I think they were several thousand low on.

Car is an amazing animal but I was worried about the cost of future maintenance. I mean a twin turbo diesel, not much history with them(BMW) in the states. So, I decided against doing the deal. Really wanted to get back into diesel. Even though VW dropped the PD engine, I want something reliable and that doesn't need constant expensive maintenance so
.......not sure about today's diesel offerings.

Last edited:

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
Wife and I have been tdiless for about 20 mos now. Darn pd engines are just too much trouble with cam wear.Her B5 passat engine was replaced under warranty at about 49000 miles. Yes, I always used 505.01. I was concerned with my jetta pd engine at 68000 miles so said so long to vw.

Anyway, last week, I drove a2009 335d with 18500 miles on it at my Lexus dealer. Car was pretty much a stripped down model and they had price of 39900 on it but immediately came down to about 35700plus my trade which I think they were several thousand low on.

Car is an amazing animal but I was worried about the cost of future maintenance. I mean a twin turbo diesel, not much history with them(BMW) in the states. So, I decided against doing the deal. Really wanted to get back into diesel. Even though VW dropped the PD engine, I want something reliable and that doesn't need constant expensive maintenance so
.......not sure about today's diesel offerings.
Yeah, I was happy to see audi put some new technology in their TDIs with the common rail design. I don't know if it's any more efficient than the PD, (some report better low end response & slightly quieter engine) but since i bought new I'll at least have an audi warranty for several years if something gets jacked up with it :)