2011 Fuel Pump Issues?

Bloom8600

TDI
2002 jetta, 2011 jetta
Hello all, I am a long time viewer of this forum, but a first time poster. This may sound like a dumb question but I am no mechanic so please forgive me.

My 2011 Jetta is bone stock. It recently began what I would call cutting out at various RPMs, but I could generally give it more throttle and drive right through it. After days, the cutting out got worse, (I mean it like shakes the car), and eventually it shut itself off. I changed the fuel filter, and eventually drove it to a garage. With the problem being intermittent, I was skeptical that he would be able to replicate the issue, which he could not. He said the only logged code was glow plug related. (The car has never thrown a check engine light, or any dummy light for that matter, during this event happening). He found my ERG to be very plugged up and had a theory that the ERG valve may have been sticking, causing the issue. He cleaned it out and within a week, the car is doing it again.

I believe it seems a fuel issue to me. I have read of the fuel pumps going bad for these cars, and basically trashing the whole fuel system. It seems like what I have read, when that happens, the car shuts off relatively fast and will not run after that happens. So I didn't know if there was any chance of this being the same fuel pump related issue, since there is times the car runs totally fine.

I am kind of in a bad area in terms of mechanics that even care to work on TDIs, so my options are limited. I do have a dealer that is over an hour from me, but am trying to stay away from going that route if possible. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hello all, I am a long time viewer of this forum, but a first time poster. This may sound like a dumb question but I am no mechanic so please forgive me.

My 2011 Jetta is bone stock. It recently began what I would call cutting out at various RPMs, but I could generally give it more throttle and drive right through it. After days, the cutting out got worse, (I mean it like shakes the car), and eventually it shut itself off. I changed the fuel filter, and eventually drove it to a garage. With the problem being intermittent, I was skeptical that he would be able to replicate the issue, which he could not. He said the only logged code was glow plug related. (The car has never thrown a check engine light, or any dummy light for that matter, during this event happening). He found my ERG to be very plugged up and had a theory that the ERG valve may have been sticking, causing the issue. He cleaned it out and within a week, the car is doing it again.

I believe it seems a fuel issue to me. I have read of the fuel pumps going bad for these cars, and basically trashing the whole fuel system. It seems like what I have read, when that happens, the car shuts off relatively fast and will not run after that happens. So I didn't know if there was any chance of this being the same fuel pump related issue, since there is times the car runs totally fine.

I am kind of in a bad area in terms of mechanics that even care to work on TDIs, so my options are limited. I do have a dealer that is over an hour from me, but am trying to stay away from going that route if possible. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

[/QUOTE
If you have a VCDS or OBD eleven they do a better job of checking codes on these cars
Usually when those HPFP start to let go, you’ll find shavings in the bottom of the fuel filter caster. Did you see any?

I would change your crank sensor as those are known to create a lit of problems and don’t set a check engine light

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none

If you have a VCDS or OBD eleven they do a better job of checking codes on these cars
Usually when those HPFP start to let go, you’ll find shavings in the bottom of the fuel filter caster. Did you see any?

I would change your crank sensor as those are known to create a lot of problems and don’t set a check engine light

Last edited:

Bloom8600

TDI
2002 jetta, 2011 jetta
I am going to see about getting VCDS. I did look and did not see any kind of debris when I changed with filter. I will definatley look into purchasing a crank sensor to rule that out, thank you for your reply.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am going to see about getting VCDS. I did look and did not see any kind of debris when I changed with filter. I will definatley look into purchasing a crank sensor to rule that out, thank you for your reply.
Yes, let us know how it goes
Actually, sometimes the crank sensor set a code but mostly not so
What was the code for the glow plug?