2010 Golf TDI Timing Belt

Mezmar

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
TDI Club: I have two questions, actually--the first is how do I search or canvas the forum for information on changing the timing belt? I mean, I would imagine that my question has been asked many many times by others and I'd rather be able to check the database than re-ask.

Not knowing the answer to my first question leads me to my second question: a google search on recommended timing belt replacement comes up with 80,000 miles. The manual that came with the vehicle says 120,000. Yeah, changing it now (its got 91K on it) won't hurt---but its 30K miles short of the manual. Has VW changed the recommended interval? Is it a matter of wear and age?

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
the actual oem timing belt VW says will last up to 120,000km's Canadian K's.
i got a shop that worked on German vehicles to change mine at just under 148,000km's along with the water pump,tensioner,thermostat,coolant etc. basically it was a "Continental timing belt Kit" costed me $1.340 bucks money well worth spending when You consider if the belt breaks your out of an engine.? & stranded on the side of the road, & missing a days wages & paying a tow truck to tow etc...im glad its done and out of the way. im good for 300,000k's.!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's 120k miles with no specified age limit. In 2011 it was changed to 130k miles/no age limit . Some folks get nervous once the belt gets to be around 10 years old. I'd probably just run it out to 120k miles.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
If you're planning to do yourself, I have the lockdown tools necessary. Realize I'm 3 hours from you, but I drive to the mountains occasionally. It's an easy job if you're comfortable with a wrench and have the right tools!

Mezmar

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Breathing Room

Thanks for the info on how to search threads as well as the info on replacement intervals. With 91K miles, it looks like I have some wiggle room and can wait a bit before putting on a new belt. I've done the belt on our '05 Jetta TDI twice (getting that motor mount out/in was a bear both times!), and have replaced one on a 2006 and 2008 Honda Pilot. With each of these jobs, the belts I replaced had no wear and tear that I could discern.... I realize that other components--water pumps, rollers, tensioners, etc., are a consideration as well.

Adjat84th--thank you for your very generous offer to bring your lockdown tools to mountain country. I actually purchased some through Amazon for the Jetta and if I'm not mistaken, they will work on the Golf as well?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Your tools will probably work but realize that you’ll need a second pin for the pump and also that there were two styles of crank lock used for the two different PD motors. I am just not sure which of the two types is used by the CR motors since I always used my Metalnerd universal crank lock (which is a cool thing).

Also, you don’t have to pull the mount on the 2010! How cool is that!
Check out the info/video on the “pro method” here:
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-timing-belt-kit-for-vw-golf-jetta-beetle-tdi

Thanks for the info on how to search threads as well as the info on replacement intervals. With 91K miles, it looks like I have some wiggle room and can wait a bit before putting on a new belt. I've done the belt on our '05 Jetta TDI twice (getting that motor mount out/in was a bear both times!), and have replaced one on a 2006 and 2008 Honda Pilot. With each of these jobs, the belts I replaced had no wear and tear that I could discern.... I realize that other components--water pumps, rollers, tensioners, etc., are a consideration as well.
Adjat84th--thank you for your very generous offer to bring your lockdown tools to mountain country. I actually purchased some through Amazon for the Jetta and if I'm not mistaken, they will work on the Golf as well?

Last edited: