200k 2004 Passat TDI Wagon with BSM replaced but bad tranny

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I bought a 2004 Passat wagon with 200k miles on it recently. It had been owned by one owner who traded it in, had a Carfax that showed all the maintenance done at the dealer by the book, and had a glow plug CEL. At the time, I did not know about the ceramic vs steel plugs, so I let them discount it by an additional $200 and bought it for $5500. I used the BSM issue to get them down from $6800 they were asking for it. Once I got it to Austin, I had Robby from Meyerhoff Autohaus (aka runonbeer) perform the BSM replacement, including timing belt. Cost me right at $2800, with parts from BoraParts. We were very happy for all of about one day, when the transmission clunked and it went into transmission limp mode. The CEL said "excessive slippage" and "mechanical failure". Robby took it back and checked with VagCom and got some more detail, but couldn't figure it out (he doesn't work on transmissions). He did replace the fluid, and there was a small piece of soft looking metal that may or may not have been in his drain pan before he drained the fluid. Next, we took it to Kenny Hill's Autowerks, who said that a chunk of metal came out when they drained the fluid, and that the trans needs to be rebuilt/replaced. The quote they gave me was $4300 - $3000 for the trans, $600 or so for labor, and $700 for two way freight to send it off for rebuilding. I did find a used transmission with 80k miles on it for $2000 in Florida, including shipping.

At this point, I have spent $5500 car + $500 shipping + $2800 BSM + $150 trans service + $200 diagnostic time = $9200. I just took a job in Seattle and we will be moving in the next few weeks. My wife has talked me into getting her an old Land Rover, and I have to drive our Dodge up there - so we'd have to fix the Passat before we go (unlikely) or deal with it remotely. I'm really leaning towards selling it now. But, I see that anyone who can deal with the bad trans cheaply may also not pay a premium for the BSM. So I'm torn.

The car is in EXCELLENT shape physically - no dings, clean interior, strikingly good for its mileage. With a BSM, timing belt, and now new trans, it should last a LONG time. I'm hoping that I can get $9000 or so, but the situation is unique enough to write this all out and ask for advice.

BTW - before we did the BSM, we drove it a few thousand miles and had no problems at all. The day we got it back from the BSM work, we parked it for a few days, and it "clunked" on the ride home from the airport. I have no reason to believe that the BSM work could cause or have any impact on that issue, but thought I'd mention it.

Any and all advice appreciated!