2009 Tdi

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Just joking about the glasses.
I just thought you would want to know that there were TDIs available close to your house. It is nice to have some choices. I am not as lucky in my neck of the woods.

Shooter007

TDI
2009 Jetta
donfromnaples said:
Just joking about the glasses.
I just thought you would want to know that there were TDIs available close to your house. It is nice to have some choices. I am not as lucky in my neck of the woods.
I am glad to know all of those TDI's are out there. It only makes it easier for me to eventually get the car I would like to have faster! Thanks again for the help!

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
I ordered a loyalty edition from my dealer months ago. After checking the 25 dealers close to me for the last month, looking for the car I want, it is clear that it doesn't exist. I did pass on the 'opportunity' to pay several thousand dollars over msrp to get the car I want. I have a perfectly fine 2006 tdi, and now plan to keep it. I will wait a year and get the new body style.

VW has hugely botched the release of the 09, for sure they have permanently lost customers. 'love the cars,hate the company' sums it up.I actually feel bad for the honest dealers who have been jerked around like us. But, I also think the 09's are a bad combination of brand new technology, and last year of a bodystyle.

If VW doesnt contribute $ to this website,they should- this is the only source of reliable information about their products. VWOA must have a non-existant dealer communications group. 10 minutes on this website and you will know more than 99% of the salespeople.

Fokker out...

jdbfreeheel

TDI
2009 JSW (very soon)
scknight said:
I ordered a loyalty edition from my dealer months ago. After checking the 25 dealers close to me for the last month, looking for the car I want, it is clear that it doesn't exist. I did pass on the 'opportunity' to pay several thousand dollars over msrp to get the car I want. I have a perfectly fine 2006 tdi, and now plan to keep it. I will wait a year and get the new body style.

VW has hugely botched the release of the 09, for sure they have permanently lost customers. 'love the cars,hate the company' sums it up.I actually feel bad for the honest dealers who have been jerked around like us. But, I also think the 09's are a bad combination of brand new technology, and last year of a bodystyle.
Yes, I too would like to know how you know about the new body style. True, it's been rumored that the Rabbit/GTI have a mk6 body style coming, but there has been no confirmed timeline for the time for this to filter to the Jetta sedan and/or Jetta Sportwagen (especially since the JSW has just been released this year).

And certainly I understand the desire to hold onto your '06 for a while, they're great cars, but I question your sudden opinion that the 09's "are a bad combination." Didn't you have one on order? Why all of a sudden is it a "bad combination?"

Shooter007

TDI
2009 Jetta
scknight said:

If VW doesnt contribute $ to this website,they should- this is the only source of reliable information about their products. VWOA must have a non-existant dealer communications group. 10 minutes on this website and you will know more than 99% of the salespeople.

Fokker out...
I am oh so close to just keeping my '04 Cooper S and just abandoning my dream of a new TDI. If I had an '06 TDI, I would not even consider buying the '09. Mileage seems close to the same. IMHO you are smart to wait for a new body style but only if you want something new. If I could get a 2006 relatively cheap I would be all over that one!

Fokker out ROFL!

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
scknight said:
I will wait a year and get the new body style....

But, I also think the 09's are a bad combination of brand new technology, and last year of a bodystyle.
There's usually a two year lag between introducing the new body style and it going on sale in the US. I don't think we'll see an A6 Jetta until the 2011 model year.

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
jvance said:
There's usually a two year lag between introducing the new body style and it going on sale in the US. I don't think we'll see an A6 Jetta until the 2011 model year.
Also, the last years of a body style are usually the best years, quality-wise. I am sure the A6 will be attractive and have lots of good features, but I am reluctant to buy a first-year body style. While the 2009 TDI engine is new in the US/Canada, it has been sold (with different exhaust system) in Europe for a year or two.

Trbogolf

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Sportwagen
From what I've heard the current body (MKV) jetta/JSW will remain the same for now. Only the Rabbit/GTI will be changing. It should be arriving here next fall, which is much quicker than previous years.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Next Generation Jetta

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2011-volkswagen-jetta.htm

Some of the more relevant excerpts:
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta will be an early test of this drive toward improved cost-effectiveness. The redesign involves a new modular architecture called “MQB” that’s destined for a host of future VWs, including the 2010 Volkswagen Rabbit and 2010 Volkswagen GTI hatchbacks.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Reports suggest that every 2011 Volkswagen Jetta will be trimmed and equipped more for American tastes than has been the case. They will also be retailored to align with U.S. expectations of what a compact sedan should cost, which implies a certain amount of economizing on materials and features. However, VW realizes that any de-contenting must be invisible, lest buyers defect to rival brands.... Because VW sees itself as more of a premium brand than Asian and U.S. rivals, it’s willing to price its next-generation compact cars 5-10 percent above the class norm, figuring higher unit margins will offset relatively lower sales volume.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]-suggest the next Jetta will retain current-model dimensions and general appearance, but with new outer body panels imparting a crisper, lower look. Many underskin components will be replaced or modified, again to reduce manufacturing costs[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2011 Volkswagen Jetta Release Date: Most sources agree that the next-generation Jetta will bow for model-year 2011, but on-sale timing is unclear. In any case, the new models would likely be in dealerships no later than fall of 2010.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta First Test Drive: Because the U.S. is the largest market for the “Rabbit sedan,” the press would likely be invited to a separate new-Jetta preview some 8-12 months after the redesigned 2010 hatchbacks meet the media. Call it spring or summer of 2010.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Prices: We know VW wants to hold the line as much as possible, so we’d look for fairly modest hikes on the order of $800-$1200 above 2008-model figures. That suggests a best-case base-price range of $18,200 to just over $27,500.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I declare the '09 TDI a winner, if you don't have one you want one.

Everyone wants one, and those that can't afford it nit pick or have a bad case of sour grapes. I declare the '09 TDI a winner. MPG is right close to the old TDI's except for those getting 98 mpg (its a joke please relax).

For the '09, there are already fairly reliable reports w/ seemingly good unbiased procedures that report the MPG is mid/high 40's, with a few dancing right at the magic 50 mpg. Yes these are new cars that need some break-in.

There really is nothing complicated about the exhaust. The cats (4 of them) are all passive. The big moving part is an exhaust valve way down stream. There are 6 sensors (including two Lambda's). Yes more cats/sensors to fail, but what car, especially diesel does not have a bunch of stuff already. Yes there is some magic going on in the ECU with the piezoelectric injectors. Yes there is chemical reactions going on in the cat but this is not high risk stuff. No doubt some where in the first 200,000 miles some or most of the active exhaust system will need replacing?
What will the cost of the exhaust system work out per mile?
How much cleaner, less NOx and CO2 will you have released?
How much fuel will you save?
TANSTAAFL

There is nothing really in the '09 that should negatively affect the MPG more than a few percent, and there are a few things that should be more efficient (like higher injector presser with more precise piezoelectric injectors).

Go buy one. You know you want to. I took a long test drive and I was impressed. I thought it has quality feel at least better than a Deluxe Honda Civic by a good margin, $26k out the door with lots of options.....high 50's MPG, fun to drive, clean, quiet, smooth, torque-ee........YEA.

PS the faux leather is nice. I have two leather interior cars now that are older and leather does give up the ghost. I suspect the synthetic leather will last as long or longer will looking nice. Marble counter tops are nice but expensive and may be radioactive. The synthetic solid countertops are better.

I laugh at all negative comments because I know you are drooling and just jealous of those who snagged one early. They soound like sour grapes.

Last edited:

obie84

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagen
Granted, it was no F150

peterdaniel said:
uh... how old are you anyways? Sheesh, rabbit pickups were not trucks.. And they will never come out with that.. It has been proven time and again, the combo pickup/car is not popular.. witness the demise of the el Camino, the ranchero, and the Subaru BAJA...

Want a truck? get a real one!
The VW p/u wasn't such a bad idea for the time. It was contemporary with the other new 'light' p/u trucks, like the Chevy LUV, the early Ford Ranger, and the small Japanese pick-ups that were selling so briskly in mid-70s onward. It was mostly a move to increase mpg in response to the anxiety caused by the Arab oil embargo. A lot of city folks bought the light pick-ups not because they had a bed of anysize, but because they were often the least expensive high mpg vehicle you could buy new.

Now if Detroit had just remembered that lesson for a couple of decades...:rolleyes:

obie84

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagen
Plus, the new style just might be ugly...

dr61 said:
Also, the last years of a body style are usually the best years, quality-wise. I am sure the A6 will be attractive and have lots of good features, but I am reluctant to buy a first-year body style. While the 2009 TDI engine is new in the US/Canada, it has been sold (with different exhaust system) in Europe for a year or two.
Some new body/interior styles are hits (latest version Civic) that you wish you had waited for; others are duds, like the current Passat, that killed sales of Volkswagen's hottest seller in years. I fear the more VW 'Americanizes' their styling--especially whatever comes out of Chatanooga in a couple years--the more I'll wish I'd gotten a Mark V before they quit making them.

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
I drove the 09 TDI off the lot Friday night. Put over 600 miles on it this weekend. Equipped with the DSG I averaged just less than 44 mpg. Driving through the Central Texas Hill Country I was getting a little over 46 mpg; not using the cruise control. On the flat West Texas hwys using the cruise control I log under 43 mpg. By the way the computer was correct I checked the 44 mpg against fuel pumped into the tank; the other mpg were from the TDI computer. I can’t wait until the power plant achieves break in. I suppose this will be a while the salesperson told me VW uses synthetic oil. But then at 600 miles per weekend…

firewired

TDI
Jetta
dwf said:
I drove the 09 TDI off the lot Friday night. Put over 600 miles on it this weekend. Equipped with the DSG I averaged just less than 44 mpg. Driving through the Central Texas Hill Country I was getting a little over 46 mpg; not using the cruise control. On the flat West Texas hwys using the cruise control I log under 43 mpg. By the way the computer was correct I checked the 44 mpg against fuel pumped into the tank; the other mpg were from the TDI computer. I can’t wait until the power plant achieves break in. I suppose this will be a while the salesperson told me VW uses synthetic oil. But then at 600 miles per weekend…

Finally at the top of the list. Looking forward to picking one with the options I was looking for, are you around San Antonio?

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
firewired said:
Finally at the top of the list. Looking forward to picking one with the options I was looking for, are you around San Antonio?
NW of Georgetown near a little town called Andice. Paid msrp at Automax in Killeen.

mjsmonk

TDI
New 09 Jetta

I am new here and frankly I am terrified. I am a Honda owner and have decided to go with the Jetta for the MPG boost. I have an 03 Odyssey with over 200K miles and still going but I drive 40 miles each way to work and back and am getting nervous driving with that many miles so my hubby is driving it now as he is close to home. And other running so we really push the mileage on cars and feel like we have to get new to break even somewhat even. So far so good with the car, we got it yesterday and paid too much but I think I'll like it. New to diesel and VW so that in itself will be an adventure. thanks here for all the info. We are in the DFW area of Texas FYI.:confused: Is anyone getting 600 miles per tank?

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
09 black jetta sedan manual available at Langhorne PA VW

09 black jetta sedan manual available at Langhorne PA VW. I know nothing else. I will be picking up a blue graphite soon from them. GReat place to deal with so far. I think the salesperson to speak with is Chris F.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Has anyone heard of any occurence of the Turbo blowing up on the 2009?

I was talking to another Jetta owner, and he stated that he knows 2 friends that purchased 2009 model year and 1 blew the turbo within 500 miles and the other within the first few thousand?

Is this a potential sign of things to come?

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Show me the proof.

ATLSilverTDI said:
Has anyone heard of any occurence of the Turbo blowing up on the 2009?

I was talking to another Jetta owner, and he stated that he knows 2 friends that purchased 2009 model year and 1 blew the turbo within 500 miles and the other within the first few thousand?

Is this a potential sign of things to come?
Until someone has documented proof of this it never happened.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
TDIMANtobe said:
there are 3 Jetta TDI sedans (White) at Lindsey VW in VA for $24190 ea.
What is the mileage on these 3 cars??? We had 3 white TDI's from VW Headquarters at the TDI Fest in Mason Ohio last weekend and the had Lindsay VW Plate trim on them!!
These were driven hard by many people last weekend!!:eek:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
blazerico said:
I can't say that I agree with the assessment of Langhorne VW being a great dealership. They wouldn't take my deposit early this spring, (told me they weren't starting a waiting list) then I found out they have a thirty person waiting list when I went back in july. Currently #4 at another dealership nearby.
Did you talk to Chris Farnham at VW of Langhorne?? If you didn't you were wasting your time.......However even he is limited by demand and is having a hard time obtaining cars to sell........
My suggestion to anyone buying an 09 Jetta, WAIT!!! unless you stumble on one for a great deal!! This is not a good time to buy and it is also not a great idea to buy in the 1st production year!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
tomo366 said:
My suggestion to anyone buying an 09 Jetta, WAIT!!! unless you stumble on one for a great deal!! This is not a good time to buy and it is also not a great idea to buy in the 1st production year!
Wise counsel.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
redtdi966 said:
09 black jetta sedan manual available at Langhorne PA VW. I know nothing else. I will be picking up a blue graphite soon from them. GReat place to deal with so far. I think the salesperson to speak with is Chris F.
Redtdi966, how soon are you going to pick yours up... I was told that "I'm first one to get a tdi from them"... and gusss what? Now, the anticipated delivery date of OCTOBER 20th... I was also told that I have to wait so long because I'm getting exactly what I specified: silver/black 6 speed w/ rear bags. Are you getting what you specified, or something that is close to it? I'm slowly getting pissed off how my car gets pushed back all the time...

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
From what I understand from speaking with the dealerships is that the dealers are getting a big runaround from VW. Allegedly, the number of cars & deliveries have not materialized as expected, orders are not getting picked up by VW, etc. It is probably best to put the pressure on VW. But then again, that is probably like pissing uphill into a hurricane. Bob

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Bob S. said:
Wise counsel.
Is'nt the only thing new the US build. Body ,chasis, 2.0L Engine, and DSG has been around the block a few times just not in the US.

Shooter007

TDI
2009 Jetta
At least your dealer talks to you!

pawel said:
Redtdi966, how soon are you going to pick yours up... I was told that "I'm first one to get a tdi from them"... and gusss what? Now, the anticipated delivery date of OCTOBER 20th... I was also told that I have to wait so long because I'm getting exactly what I specified: silver/black 6 speed w/ rear bags. Are you getting what you specified, or something that is close to it? I'm slowly getting pissed off how my car gets pushed back all the time...
At least you were told you could get what you want. I was told I better take what I can because they may not get a blue graphite TDI for a long time.

Since I am supposedly #1 on the list for manuals, I try to check in with my dealer every couple of weeks. Most of the time I get no response as witness my email to him this am with no reply. So, taking advice from someone else on this forum, I started contacting dealers who have cars I might be interested in buying.

First call, out of state dealer, very nice guy calls back within 30 min, says sorry does not have the manual I was interested in but get this, OFFERS to go out and find a car for me and dealer trade for it. OMG its customer service even if its only lip service at this point in time. Maybe he is thinking he can mark it up over MSRP, if so, that dog won't hunt. BUT its the thought that counts and I found a guy who might actually work to help me find a car. WOW!:rolleyes: He finds one at MSRP and I will drive 1000 miles to get it!