2009 Jetta MK5 Headlight Replacement Help

Babe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
hi

I am getting some projectors for my jetta. I have looked and looked for a picture DIY for this, but cannot find anything.

Do I have to remove the bumper to install new headlights

ANYONE

Thanks

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
jettamkV

Hi Babe,

Yep, you'll have to remove the front bumper in order to access the bottom bolt on the headlight assembly, and there are a surprisingly large number of screws (torx head) you need to locate, including a few inside the wheel well.

There is a good DIY guide with pictures here:
http://forums.jettamkv.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2109

Babe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
MBoni said:
Hi Babe,

Yep, you'll have to remove the front bumper in order to access the bottom bolt on the headlight assembly, and there are a surprisingly large number of screws (torx head) you need to locate, including a few inside the wheel well.

There is a good DIY guide with pictures here:
http://forums.jettamkv.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2109
Thanks, a big hug...great pictures to help me

do you think a girl can do it. Is the bumper heavy.

Babe

Last edited:

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Babe said:
do you think a girl can do it. Is the bumper heavy.
Technically, you are removing just a plastic bumper cover, the steel(?) bumper remains firmly attached to the car. I'd think that even the skinniest waif should be able to handle it, as long as she was old enough to drive.

That said, you might want a 2nd set of hands to help you. I did the job solo, but had to jump back and forth between the left and right in order to re-install the bumper cover. Pushing one side into place would end up getting the other side off, so it took a few extra attempts. And it's always good to have another set of eyes looking at the instructions, making sure you don't miss a step. No need for a mechanic or a lumberjack, but someone else who can read and follow instructions might be handy. But if you can't find someone, don't sweat it, just take your time and have fun.

Babe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
MBoni said:
Technically, you are removing just a plastic bumper cover, the steel(?) bumper remains firmly attached to the car. I'd think that even the skinniest waif should be able to handle it, as long as she was old enough to drive.

That said, you might want a 2ND set of hands to help you. I did the job solo, but had to jump back and forth between the left and right in order to re-install the bumper cover. Pushing one side into place would end up getting the other side off, so it took a few extra attempts. And it's always good to have another set of eyes looking at the instructions, making sure you don't miss a step. No need for a mechanic or a lumberjack, but someone else who can read and follow instructions might be handy. But if you can't find someone, don't sweat it, just take your time and have fun.
Thanks

I can get help. after all the bolt and screws and clips are off. does it snap on with tabs or just an easy pull and its off? saw a Honda being done and it had snap tabs and it was a bear to remove. tons of prying and possible paint chips too.

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Babe said:
after all the bolt and screws and clips are off. does it snap on with tabs or just an easy pull and its off?
I don't recall any locking tabs, just lots of torx screws. Getting the headlights in and out required a bit of a twisting movement to clear some of the supports, but once you find the right angle it's not bad.

Babe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
MBoni said:
I don't recall any locking tabs, just lots of torx screws. Getting the headlights in and out required a bit of a twisting movement to clear some of the supports, but once you find the right angle it's not bad.
Thank you can't wait