2009 CR Repair Thread

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
For what it's worth....I stopped by the place I bought by 09 on Friday to schedule an alignment check. I asked the service manager about an oil change before the 10K service interval. He said that they recommend that their customers change their oil at 5K intervals based on the fact that driving in Houston tends fall in the category of being a severe environment.

That frustrated me....

So I won't be back until the 10K carefree maintenance interval....and even then I plan on watching closely and catching a sample of the oil for analysis.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
jaydogg007 said:
So I won't be back until the 10K carefree maintenance interval....and even then I plan on watching closely and catching a sample of the oil for analysis.
You should get the sample before you take the car in for an oil change.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
jaydogg007 said:
For what it's worth....I stopped by the place I bought by 09 on Friday to schedule an alignment check. I asked the service manager about an oil change before the 10K service interval. He said that they recommend that their customers change their oil at 5K intervals based on the fact that driving in Houston tends fall in the category of being a severe environment.

That frustrated me....

It's pretty common in texas for dealers to recommend 5k intervals.

I've done 5k intervals on mine, and now with all the evidence of cam wear in BRM's... I'm sticking to 5k intervals.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
velociT said:
It's pretty common in texas for dealers to recommend 5k intervals.

I've done 5k intervals on mine, and now with all the evidence of cam wear in BRM's... I'm sticking to 5k intervals.
I don't think dealers suggest 5k for the car or your benefit, I just think they want to poke you more often.... JMHO...

Just make sure you us the right oil or better (PDs 505.01+ & CRs 507), I have not seen many cam wear issues on properly maintained cars; so far the statistics are not concearning... FYI I added a bypass filter for extra protection and will be going to 507 for my next OCI.

eft

TDI
2009 TDI
Vehicle: 2009 Sedan
Delivery Date: October 17th
Transmission: Manual
Options: Sunroof
Mileage: 500

Approximate Average MPG: 36 – mixed driving

**Problems to Date: Three times while driving around town the car has “bumped”. No warning, no after effects. Could not tell what it was but as I noted above it is a manual transmission. I'm nervously awaiting for a re-occurance before calling the dealer:(

I'm WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Don't know if this is the same issue but I've noticed when the tank is nearly full - maybe 100 miles since topping it off - the fuel sloshing around can be heard and also felt. It feels like a small bump over and over. Once it gets another 50 miles or so I don't notice it anymore.

eft said:
Vehicle: 2009 Sedan
Delivery Date: October 17th
Transmission: Manual
Options: Sunroof
Mileage: 500

Approximate Average MPG: 36 – mixed driving

**Problems to Date: Three times while driving around town the car has “bumped”. No warning, no after effects. Could not tell what it was but as I noted above it is a manual transmission. I'm nervously awaiting for a re-occurance before calling the dealer:(

eft

TDI
2009 TDI
Sloshing fuel-I wouldn't have thought of that. I just filled up and will keep that in mind.

schmugo

TDI
09' JSW
"The Carefree Maintenance Program also includes a courtesy vehicle check. This allows owners to return to the dealership from which they purchased their '09 VW within 90 days or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first, for a full review of the vehicles benefits and features - and to have their vehicle checked at no charge.
Well, I won't be using this, as I don't want to drive back to Philly to have them check it out, maybe I can convince my local dealer to do this.
I may just do the 5K on my dime then do the rest at the 10K intervals, we do mostly city (stop/go) driving. And my dad was old school about oil changes 3K or 6months no matter what. Sometimes teachings like that are hard to unlearn, kind of like genetics. So waiting 10K will kill me, my wife could care less.

DD

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Recent experience @ my local dealership says that you're spot on Schmugo. Don't waste your time. The dealership service mananger told me that the 6K courtesy maintenance check only covered checking fluid levels. He said nothing about a full review of vehicle benefits and features blah blah blah.

This was not my understanding per the VW website.

Perhaps my expectations were too high for something called carefree maintenance advertised on the link above. Again, I'll get my three free oil changes and do other PM myself or take my business elsewhere.

schmugo

TDI
09' JSW
Another point, I have a friend who bought a mini cooper over a year ago, and I think they get free service, too. However, he was told by the dealership not to bring back his car for an oil change until the oil change light came on. He is now working on over ~12,000 miles.
Man if that were me, my butt would be so puckered, I wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom for a month.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
schmugo said:
Another point, I have a friend who bought a mini cooper over a year ago, and I think they get free service, too. However, he was told by the dealership not to bring back his car for an oil change until the oil change light came on. He is now working on over ~12,000 miles.
Man if that were me, my butt would be so puckered, I wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom for a month.
YOu made me laugh... puckered indeed. All of us have been trained from childhood by our fathers or grandfathers or the marketing industry to CHANGE OUR OIL... and originally we were told at 3,000 miles, in fact some of the oil change quickie joints STILL put a 3,000 mile sticker on the windsheild every time.

However... unless you do ALL low speed driving (like my wife's Chevy Equinox) which alerts us at about 3,000 mile intervals, you can drive WAY WAY WAY more than that without a worry. In fact, my Chevy Impala, logging over 100,000 miles, and changing the oil between 7500 and 10,000 and I never ONCE saw the "change oil soon" light... I'm confident that I could have exceeded 10K without neededing to change the oil as it was almost 100% highway driving, and most trips 100 miles or more.

So your friends 12,000 is truly not so much to worry about. I'd be willing to bet he runs the highways and has longer trips. It's the slow driving, congestion and frequent starts and stops that seems to result in the need to change oil more often.

Yes, I too often think... 10K on my Jetta without changing... okay, I admit, I did change it at 9500, a little early... but I'm also confident VW wouldn't tell us to change our oil less often than necessary. Why would they? To shorten the life of their own products? I seriously don't think so. I believe 10K is not only safe, truth be known, for a person driving mostly highway miles, it's much SOONER than really necessary.

Wes

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
schmugo said:
The Mini and other BMW's have computer code that adjusts miles between oil changes depending on many factors, including number of cold starts, time spend at low speed and very high RPM, time spent outside optimum temperature range, etc. They also all have required synthetic oils.

I have no problem with VW's 10K change interval considering the quality of oil used.