2006 tdi (opinions needed)

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG - Silver and 2012 Jetta 6mt Grey
I currently have a '00 jetta with almost 200K on the odo. At this point I will need to do the brakes, timing belt, and before next summer A/C as it didnt work this summer (at times did and at times did not) and no one knew what it was, glow plugs and a new battery. I am thinking all this will cost me aroun $1500 and it may or may not drive another two years or so.
I drive around 40000km/year and my jetta has been nothing but exceptional in reliability and other then the A/C there is nothing bad I can say about it.
I had a look at the '06 tdi and white with black leather pkg REALLY made me want to switch. And this is where you guys come in. Are the new engines (PD) as reliable as the older engines? Will I be just as happy with the new car as I was with my current car? Anyone recently maybe made a purchase and can chime in on this? To be honest I am affraid that switching from the reliable machine I have now to the "unknown" car wont be fun as all the stuff I read about things that go wrong really is scary.

Thank you for your opinions.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
The PD engine has been out in Europe for many years. All the things that may go wrong with a new Jetta, could go wrong with any other car. It wouldn't be any different than your current car when it was new. Most of the issues will be warrantee or re-call, so you only have down time to worry about, and in most cases that is a day or so.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Pros:
Bigger, more roomier.
Better handling, comfort due to 4 wheel independent suspension.
Electro Mechanical Steering, makes it much nicer taking tight turns at low speeds.
Better interior lighting.
3 blink signal like Audi's.
Better over all build quality.

Cons:
Feels more like a diesel Accord/Camry.
Not as sporty as MK4 Jetta.
Different gear ratio to accomodate bigger body on the same 1.9 PD engine.

I had one with premium leather lux pkg, drove it for 4 months last year and ended up trading it in with the Mk4 Golf that I have. You'll find slow accelerator response i.e you'll experience more turbo lag...to compensate for bigger/heavier body using the same 1.9 PD engine I guess VW has changed the gear ratio so consumers get similar fuel economy as they would in a 300lb lighter MK4 Jetta, unless you go with DSG in which case you'll have to have a heavy foot so you don't feel sluggish response but your fuel economy will suffer.

So basically if you like sporty response of your MK4 you may not like it but if you're about comfort you'll love it. Both are very well designed/built cars.

As for issues as Peter mentioned, it wouldn't be any different than other Jetta's/cars and new car warranty should cover that all.

Hope this information helps.

Atif

Choupette98

TDI
Beetle ,98 ,Silver
I think the engin will have higher output in 2008 ... fuel will get bether ... Thats what im waiting to get a new one ... There talking about 140 hp :D

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
if I were you, having a car with no REAL issues...adn debating buying a car with slightly more OEM power, marginal better factory ride... and NOt drive for another 2 yrs..your kidding right? ITS A DIESEL...u just broke it in man...sheesh..NOWS when u start to have fun with it.

i have nearly 280k HARD kms on mine...and plan to drive another 300k kms easy, yes u'll have to perform some work on it...thats what cars do, if u drive them.

ASSuming that u have your car nearly paid or paid off, there are LOTS of things u can do with 1 yrs worth of monthly payments that will make your car out perform the new MKV....

not sure what our level of tune is...but maybe WE should go for a ride ... i insist ;)

Last edited:

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
hehehe Vik... I saw your car once at your house at a GTG :) so no need for a ride as I know what it can do :)

I have bigger injectors in mine and thats enough for me. The car is paid off for a year now and since I have saved up some $$$ I have stupid thoughts go thru my head. But like I said.... the more I read the more I like my car and its reliability... I just worry that once I put all that money into it for maintanance thing with go south and I wont like it much.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
i hear ya, BUT nothing is stopping a NEW car off the lot from giving u all kinds of headaches eaither man..

i say keep it and replace whatever needs to to be, with BETTER than OEM parts...might be overkill yes..but the ride will be better...

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Vik F said:
i hear ya, BUT nothing is stopping a NEW car off the lot from giving u all kinds of headaches eaither man..

i say keep it and replace whatever needs to to be, with BETTER than OEM parts...might be overkill yes..but the ride will be better...
I agree with Vik, fix up the air conditioning, do the timing belt and you're good for at least another 160k....

Atif

WEBDZL

Veteran Member
Just off the N.W.Ramp of the allmost finished 101
TDI
Golf,2004,red
For less than tax and license fees you should have a car that will keep on going, yes the new car is a fun car but the fuel mileage and price of the 06 would make it hard to turn around in 08 and get the neVWer version, also if you do your own upkeep on your car the 00-03 is more user friendly but one thing I would do is keep the 00 if you have the room to keep it...

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Read up on here (or the Vortex maybe) about your A/C...i think some people found some wiring to be loose or something behind the controlls. There were a few easy fixes going around which you might want to try. For example, a clogged up evaporator is often the cause. If crap builds up, and the water can't drain, I think the system shuts off....just unclog the pipe (stick something up there a few times). If water suddenly comes gushing out, then you probably just fixed your A/C.

Brakes? Big deal! Happens on every car. If you have to do all 4, PrecisionTuning has a deal for all four discs (not pads) for less than $300. (Zimmerman) Pads? Depends on what you get. Might be able to work something out with him.

Timing belt? Well, yeah, that's a pain. If you upgrade to the newer components, you won't have to worry about it for much longer than the 00 change interval. I think for 5 speed, the old was 140000 km, and the new is 160000 km...something like that. No biggie!

Glowplugs you can do yourself, about $100 for the parts if you go aftermarket (Champion). Batt? Go for an Optima...I think they are $150 or so at Walmart (or Sam's Club) for the red-top, and you won't have to worry about your batt for a long long time.

If your A/C really needs repair, then yeah, I think your $1500 for all the items mentioned is probably low. Timing belt change I think is about $600-800 or so if you get it done at a proper shop. You may find cheaper places to do the job (or host a GTG, and have members help you out...just plan for a whole day).

Honestly, if you're pretty happy with the ride of your car, and you are out of debt on it, then why bother going back into debt? Like Vik said, take two or three months of 'car payments', put it into your ride, and then take the remaining 9-10 months worth of 'car payments' and enjoy life a little more! These engines should easily be able to hold off 400000 km..more if taken care of well. If you are all caught up about getting a newer car, then hold off, save up for 2-3 years, and get a new style TDI when they come out. Only down side, is that with all the environmental crap on it, it may be a lot harder to tune. I believe the newer diesels will be required to get their pipes sniffed for emissions...not just a visual inspection, so tuning might be toned down. I know of at least one member who jumped over to the MKV platform recently just because of this thought.

Personally, I have shy of 150000 km on my 01 Jetta. I plan on keeping her for a long time. I planned that with my MK3, but a van decided otherwise for me. Maintenance is maintenance. Once the cars are a few years old, $1500 a year is about average for maintenance. Resist the temptation to get another car.

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it me or do all these replies really make sense. I asked similiar Q on various msg boards and got garbage for responses.

I think I am keeping this car and wont think about switching untill things really start going south.

I will have to check what parts ppl at Couburg used last time they did the TB change... if I post them will you guys be able to tell me whether they used newer or the older parts?? Last TB change was done at 100K 2 years ago.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you decide to switch, don't worry about the Mk5, mine has 53,000 km on it now and has needed absolutely nothing other than the oil changes.

But, as others have said, if you have a car that is basically solid and requires a known amount of minor repairs to be 100%, usually that's a better plan.

My '96 had 462,000 km on it when I sold it.

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
My 2001 Golf has 345,000km on it right now. I have done three timing belts and will keep doing them until the thing blows up. I'm with TorontoVento in regards to you really don't have to spend that much if you do it yourself. And if its still running good, keep it, unless you have money to burn. In regards to the PD engine, I would probably wait until the newer version comes out. Even though the PD is proven over in Europe doesn't mean it will be easy to get repaired over here for cheap especially since the model was only around for 2 years.

My 2 Cents:rolleyes:

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
Here info from my last TB bill.... let me know whether this is good for 100 or 130km.

tooth belt - 038 109 119 M
roller - 038 109 243 N
water pump - 038 121 011 AX
screw - N 903 396 03
bolt - N 102 096 03
bolt - N 905 969 02
switch - 1J0 945 511 D
bolt - N 903 285 04
screw - N 905 750 01
cooler added

Thank you guys.

intern1961

TDI
2002 jetta & 2012 golf
tdi are great mine has 400000 on it but magic number for expensive mainteance on body and tranny is between 320 and 400 thousand kilometer great car and keeps on ticking :)

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
Fix A/C, and upgrade the bushings to higher durometer units, upgrade suspension and you'll have what feels like a sweet new ride. ;)

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
I am very disappointed in my 06 Jetta and will be selling it shortly. I regret selling my 2000 for this car. I would say the over all quality of the MK4 VW is way better than the MK5. The BRM is noisy compaired to the ALH I have. I own a MK6 also and find that they did improve the interior quality but still disappointed in the paint.

I would say that the MK5-6 do have smoother ride but will cost lots when all those bushings wear. They also do have a bigger truck and back seat.

I will be replacing the 06 with my 01 Golf.
I would say keep your 2000!
Hope this helps?

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
LMAO .. I read the OP and got to the bottom and read the signature and thought ***..

Then looked at the post date .. and thought wow .. Dinosaur thread ..

Someone needs an award for this one .. A special forum tag maybe .. Wingnut hook intern1961 with something .. lol