2006 tdi jetta NO POWER cam replaced

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 tdi jetta NO POWER cam replaced "TDI IS NOW FIXED"

I just bought this Jetta with NO POWER. I just replaced the camshaft, lifters, cam bearings, timing belt, water pump because they were bad. Before and After cam replacement the car idles perfect but when trying to accelerate i have to feather the clutch and hold rpm's around 2500 just to get rolling. RPM's any lower and the jetta will conk out. I have made lots of graphs but i'm not sure really how to read them. It almost acts like it is not getting enough fuel.
I have done fuel test:
(previous owner said he just replaced fuel filter trying to solve problem less then 100 miles ago)
(1) lift pump flow out of filter is about 2L per minute where i believe it should be closer to 3-3.5L.
(2) At idle, the return line out of tandem pump returned a little less then 1L where i believe it should have been between 1.1-1.5L.
(3) With engine off test return line out of tandem pump with 12v on lift pump and measured 42 ml per minute, I thought i read it shouldn't be over 25 ml at the most.
MAF
(1) I have unplugged MAF sensor and it didn't run any different.
(2) I have swapped MAF sensor with a working MAF and no difference.
EGR
(1) I have unplugged EGR and no difference.
Anti shutter valve
(1) Unplugged ASV and no difference.
Also all combinations of ASV, EGR, and MAF being unplugged at same time no difference.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Post the Torsion value but remember that if your crank to cam timing is way out, Torsion will default to Zero.

Did you use the crank lock and cam lock tools when you replaced the timing belt? With the lock tools, you can get the Torsion value very close to spot on. If you used the "Mark and Pray" method, your crank to cam timing could be way out.

A very common reason for low power could be that you didn't get the charge air pipes back on correctly and have a boost leak. Do you have a hissing sound when you try to accelerate?

Last edited:

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I set the torsion at 1.5. Where can i find the IQ value? And yes i ordered the complete timing belt tool kit from IDparts very easy with the right tools. But the Jetta ran the exact same (NO POWER) as it does now before I replaced camshaft and timing belt. No hissing sound that i can tell that obvious.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Any service codes? What is cylinder balance? Any smoke on hard acceleration? Does the boost control work? Any exhaust restriction?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
One more thing...block the egr in the easiest ace with a liece of sheel metal. See if its better....

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
There have been no codes since the problem has started. No smoke on crank up or hard acceleration. I believe its the fastest cranking diesel i have ever owned. Only one revolution of the engine or less and its cranked. I just got done unbolting exhaust from turbo and the jetta didn't run any different. So i would assume there is no restriction. The boost seems to be operating correctly looking on measuring blocks and graphs. Not sure about cylinder balance.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have also done the basic settings test 003 and 011. For 003 egr cycle the HIGH was 500 and the low was 160. For 011 turbo boost control the HIGH was 1200 and the low was 989.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
With intercooler hose at intake disconnected can you verify that anti shutter valve is stable in open position or dancing around when engine running? Also pull your intake hose of Turbo and feel the compressor wheel for excessive play side to side and axial play. Some little side to side plate is normal but axial play means Turbo is shot. As well post pic of group 11 graph log under 2nd or 3rd gear acceleration.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Could injector lash not being set after cam replacement have an effect on the injector quantity deviation? My cylinder 1 = (-.8), 2 = (-1.8), 3 = (-.2), 4 = (+2.2)

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok well i adjusted the lash adjustment on the injectors, checked all the injector connections, ran diesel purge through the engine, swapped MAF sensor and MAP sensor out of a running 2006 tdi jetta. After all this my injector quantity deviation is -1.8, -1.2, -0.2, 2.99. So it seems a little worse now than it did. Any body have anything else i can try? Do i need to replace cylinder 4 injector with a used one? If so is there anybody on here that has a used BRM injector.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously > 2006 Jetta TDI BRM 5MT [Silver], 2000 Jetta TDI ALH 5MT [Blue] , 2005.5 Jetta BRM DSG [Grey]
just wondering if you vacuum tested the turbo actuator?

BTW is there any smoke when you try to accelerate?

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
There is no black smoke on start up or during acceleration. I started to vacuum test the turbo actuator today but my vacuum hose i had fit to loose and i ran out of time. I will do it tonight when i get back to the house.
Here is a pic of boost actual vs specified on a third gear pull.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
just wondering if you vacuum tested the turbo actuator?
A couple of days ago I put a vacuum hose on the actuator and it moved when i sucked on it. But i didn't put see if the vacuum would hold. I tried to pull a vacuum on it last night and I couldn't get it to hold any vacuum. I cut it open and found it had a hole. Ordered a new one from idparts today and it should be here tomorrow. It would be awesome if this was the cause of all my problems but i still think i have one injector bad or going bad.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously > 2006 Jetta TDI BRM 5MT [Silver], 2000 Jetta TDI ALH 5MT [Blue] , 2005.5 Jetta BRM DSG [Grey]
If your turbo actuator isnt holding any vacuum or it slowly loses vacuum in a short time then thats most probably the issue.

Btw can you hear any loud hissing sound if you rev the engine? if so I would investgate that aswell. Because a boost least can cause your symptoms aswell.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I installed my new turbo actuator today. I have it set to open at 5 inHg but it is at 100% at 15 inHg. I thought I read somewhere to adjust it to start moving a 3 to 5 inHg and be fully extended at 18 inHg.

Is it a problem to be fully extended at 15 inHg? If not how should i adjust it?

Also i have ordered a set of used injectors. Should be here tuesday hopefully. I only plan on swapping cylinder 4 injector since it looks like it is the only bad one. Hopefully cylinder 1 and 2 will come back to somewhere near zero.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Should set actuator at 3 to 19 inHg thats what specs are. Don't mess with injectors unless you for sure know its bad. First get actuator right then go for test drive record boost log and post here results

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
My vane lever is only allowing a 5 to 15 inHg sweep. I could unscrew the stop screw back to where it was, but that is only 1 1/2 turns. I don't know if that will allow the actuator to span 6 inHg more. I am afraid if i go any farther the vanes will be tip to tail.
How do i widen the span of the actuator?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
If thats all djustment you can do then leave it at where its at now, then go for test drive and see how car runs now. Don't mess with stop screw unless you have no other option.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok time for update. I left the turbo actuator adjusted where I had it. But this did not fix the problem. Using VCDS I discovered injector 4 was bad (injector quantity deviation of +2.99). I bought a set of 4 used injectors but only installed one of them in the place of injector 4. I then took the car for a test drive to see that I now had tremendously more power but also a horrible misfire/vibration under hard acceleration. I hooked the VCDS up again and discovered now that injector 3 was showing to be bad (injector quantity deviation of +2.99).

So the next day I swapped injector 3 with another one of the four. Then took it on a drive and it drove exactly the same. I hooked VCDS and now when in fourth gear starting at 1000 rpms and flooring the accelerator pedal it showed (cyl 1=2.99, cyl 2=2.99, cyl 3=-3.01, cly 4=-3.01). This was showing me that now injector 1 and 2 were bad.

I thought it was weird that all the injector quantity deviation #'s changed every time i worked under the valve cover. So I started today off by replacing the injector wiring harness. The car drove no different with new wiring harness. So I swapped injectors 1 and 2 with the two remaining used injectors that i bought. Went for a test drive and now the jetta runs outstanding.

Well it did for about an hour of driving around town. I had previously adjusted the turbo actuator stop screw clockwise by 1 1/2 turns thinking it may have something to do with my lack of power because I thought maybe the vnt's were tip to tail. And for some reason since the problem ended up being the injectors I thought it would be alright if returned the stop screw to its previous position. BAD IDEA. I guess when i did this for whatever reason the turbo was over revving. Now the turbo squeals the entire time the engine is running, especially at higher rpms.

I couldn't be happier that the Jetta is running correctly. Special thanks to DanG144 he went out of his way to help me diagnose the problem. Now i am on the search for a used turbo. If anyone has one please let me know.