2006 Jetta TDI (BRM) Lagging after start, black smoke comes out

Psilovybin

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (03/2006) 1K BRM
Never been able to figure this one out bt would love some advice on where to start looking. No Engine codes, checked with VCDS and nothing out of the ordinary or related.

When I first start the car, everything sounds fine so I pull out of the driveway and get on the road and the car feels like it's struggling (on a flat or slightly inclined surface) almost like it's choking so I moderate the accelerator pedal and after about 5-8 seconds of choking, a big plume of black smoke comes out the exhaust and then the car runs absolutely fine until you turn it off.

I'm considering taking the whole intake side off and giving a good cleaning but just checking here to see if there's something else I need to check.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
My guess is it has something to do with the turbo actuator is not moving quickly enough and you’re under boosting until it catches up. You could try the zip tie mod.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Look up the zip tie mod. Thats a common issue on those cars.

Psilovybin

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (03/2006) 1K BRM
Look up the zip tie mod. Thats a common issue on those cars.
I want to try to avoid the zip tie method on this car as it is my 75 year old mom's car. I want to try to find the cause and try to fix it. I might try to get a camera on the turbo area and drive it and see what it's physically doing

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I want to try to avoid the zip tie method on this car as it is my 75 year old mom's car. I want to try to find the cause and try to fix it. I might try to get a camera on the turbo area and drive it and see what it's physically doing
Do the n75 output test and see what its doing?

JETaah

TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
With the symptoms you describe it sounds exactly like what the zip tie mod or equivalent will fix. The zip tie is a great way to diagnose this problem without spending squat. A plastic zip tie would not be very reliable for the long run but a piece of 1/8" welding rod will probably do the trick for a good long time. A new Garrett turbo with the appropriate ECU modifications would better yet.(I’m guessing $1700+ labor?)
Cleaning the intake will likely not fix a thing unless you are not getting MAF readings that follow the requested number at 3500 rpm.
Not a bad idea to clean it out anyway.

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I suggest that you check your vacuum lines and the vacuum reservoir that is part of the cylinder head cover for leaks.