2006 Jetta delete without tune

Tzaracki

TDI
2006 Jetta
Like the title says I’m looking to delete my 2006 Jetta tdi , wondering if this is possible without a tune ? I understand there will be a check engine light ( it’s already on due to the p.o. Swapping transmissions to a manual). This is just a work beater car, so I’m hoping I can cheaply delete the egr and run it without a tune. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Tzaracki

TDI
2006 Jetta
It’s hissing, I am planning on taking it apart to clean but if I can just get rid of it that’s all the better . Not looking to blow smoke or anything just simplify life.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, that EGR cooler is junk then. They leak at the changeover flap shaft, the bushings wear out. Normal, happens eventually to every BRM EGR cooler. There is an updated design that seems to hold up a little better, but they still eventually will have little soot marks around that shaft.

Tzaracki

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yeah not looking to put a ton of money into it , just keeping it reliable. Probably just order the block off kit

oilhammer

TDI
Quick cheap easy way to do this:

Leave the cooler in place, that way you needn't mess with the rerouting of heater hoses.
Take the EGR tube off between the turbo and cooler, put the block off plate on the turbo itself.
Unplug the EGR valve connector.

Tzaracki

TDI
2006 Jetta
Do I need to worry about blocking off the cooler half ? Or just put the block off plate on the turbo and I’m good

oilhammer

TDI
So long as the EGR is shut, it will stay blocked off on that side. Technically, the EGR valve could weep a little oil over time, which would first go back down through the cooler and eventually blow out the other end, so you could put a second plate there if you want (so, you'd be blocking off BOTH ends of the EGR pipe you removed).

The 'other pipe' is not present on the BRMs, it is made on to the EGR cooler itself.

Pic I found, disregard the arrow, but notice how the pipe on the right side of the pic is attached to the cooler? Something unique to the BRM, the other 4 cyl TDIs are not arranged like that.

northern diesel

TDI
2006 mk4 TDI Jetta Wagon
@oilhammer ... I just finished removing my egr cooler, and will be blocking off the egr pipes with blanking plates... I already rerouted the coolant lines.
I am deleting the EGR and decided to take out the cooler mainly to have room to access my intake manifold and turbo which I suspected was my problem.
I will be tuning the wagon and wanted to try to fix nagging limp mode.

I wonder if you would recommend a new turbo upgrade to go with my upgraded intake manifold (the PD 150)?
https://flic.kr/p/2pvUyzE Any advice on this would be helpful. The KP39 turbo if serviceable wouldn't be bad, but with some modification in mind, I wonder if I would be better off with a VNT 17/22 or even an S7.

I guess what I am looking for, is whether an upgraded turbo with the PD150 would be plug n play on my BEW PD engine.
I am leaving the exhaust stock. (for now).

Any opinions or advice is welcome here as I weigh my options.

oilhammer

TDI
You have a BEW engine, the OP has a BRM engine. Different issues.

I like the Garrett VNT-17 on the BEWs.