2005 Jetta TDI Wagon smoking

NOVAJettaWagon

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Black
I bought my Jetta wagon in January...I have since put around 13K miles on it. I'm averaging around 45-48 MPG per tank, and the car is smoking profusely under moderate-heavy acceleration. There are no engine mods on the car. Is this normal or should I stop in at the service department? It's not losing any oil.

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
It always looks like a lot more smoke than it is when you see it in the headlights of cars behind you at night. Mine was the same even when it was stock. You should even see a little during the day under full throttle. Check your air filter, and try a differant brand of fuel. The smoke in the headlights check is not a good test.

spencer842

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI-PD Wagon
I have a brand new Jetta Wagon GLS TDI with 590 miles and it does the same thing. During the day I see nothing, but at night it does seemt like a lot more. I think that is normal.

mhp

TDI
Jetta 2005 Black
I've noticed the same with my 2005 Jetta... Can someone confirm what is the cause. I'm suspecting that the increased particles in the exhast from the heavy throttle that can be seen due to headlights behind you. It is dense enough to diffuse the light, but sparse enough that you cannot see it during the day.

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I notice it with mine when people are following me with their headlights on. Never really thought it was a problem...and I don't get anywhere near your mileage!

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
I can't ever see smoke in our PD TDIs, but, we nearly always use >50% biodiesel (current 175 gallon batch is B66), we always use additves (currently Stanadyne and FPPF Fuel Power), and...

possibly the most important thing, I full-throttle accelorate for at least a couple of shifts a day.

Each morning I have to merge from the Blue Ridge Parkway onto 220north, while going up an incline usually into small gap in heavy traffic. I accelorate from ~10mph to ~50 mph - essentially I floor it in 2nd, run it to between 3500 and 4000 rpms then floor it in 3rd to ~50mph, then shift to 5th and cruise.

The rest of the day I drive for fuel economy and my TDI rarely sees >2200rpm.

However, after I drove 1012miles on one tank of fuel in my Golf PD by setting the cruise and driving 55-60 on a road trip, I fueled up and firmly accelorated back onto the highway. Under hard acceloration and after 18 hours @ ~2000 rpm my Golf smoked like crazy - but I accelorated all the way up to 110mph, held it there for a minute or so and all was better

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 04 used to smoke on hard acceleration. I have since chipped it at Rocketchip Stage2 and I see no smoke now and the car is Very fast.....
I use B20 Bio-Diesel and standadyne exclusively