2005.5 Replacement Trans (5sp)

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I found a 2005.5 TDI for sale with 146K, that has a bad 3rd gear. Asking price is $9500. I have not looked at the car yet, but I am considering it.

This would be my first TDI, and I have been doing a large amount of reading in this forum. I have no problem switching out the trans and installing a new SMF and Clutch. At 146K, I would plan on replacing the TB and having a hard look at the cam (see, I have been reading), and factoring that into my price.

Are the 2005.5 and 2006 5SP transmissions interchangeable (I would think so). I found a listing for a 2006 TDI trans that I plan to call about tomorrow before I go look at the car.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Yeah, they are both GQQ code transmissions, mounted to BRM engines. I hear you can also swap in a 6-speed from the newer cars as well.

By that mileage, I would figure one of two things has happened as far as the cam; 1 it's been replaced, or 2 it's operating on the FM theory (freaking magic.)

Good luck with your purchase(s). :D

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I would consider a 6 speed conversion, although these trans are easy to repair..

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I may see about having the transmission repaired. If it is just replacing the 3rd gear and syncro, I may do it myself, and do the 5th gear swap while I am in there. One 5sp transmission that I found at a recycler is $2000 and that is with a broken bracket. I would think even if I had a shop repair the transmission, it would be less than $2000.

Mach1

TDI
You can pull it out and ship it to Scott dewitt here in Texas, he rebuilds/modifies them..

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
OK, I bought this 2005.5 TDI. Blue/Gray Package 2 (everything except for NAV). I checked all the switches, heated seats, A/C, Sunroof, Radio. All the misc items seem to work. Interior needs a good cleaning, some wear and tear on the doors and drivers seat. Looks like 2nd and 3rd gears are bad, it will not shift into those gears. As mentoned before, the plan is replace/repair the transmission, flywheel/clutch, TB, all the fluids, and check the cam. The car did not come with records, but the Carfax does indicate regular oil changes at ~5K (at dealers), brake fluid flushes, so the car may have been maintained (or at least tried to).

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
If you are in Virginia and need 5-sp MT from '06 let me know. Mine will be OUT as soon as my daughther is out :D.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I did get the Jetta for less than $9500. I think it is in good shape cosmetically, looks good for a car with 150K. Even the engine compartment was fairly clean. Even if I have a laundry list of items to replace, fix and check, I think it will be a good car.
If the cam needs to be replaced, it still would not be too bad. I did find the P2564 code with the generic scantool, and am hoping it is only the wire connection to the vane sensor.

What a great price on that transmission!!!

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
I guess how did they purchase the NON-remanufactured trans out of factory! Even if you wanted to, you can't order a brand new trans (without the "X" in the p/n) through the dealership...

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I guess how did they purchase the NON-remanufactured trans out of factory! Even if you wanted to, you can't order a brand new trans (without the "X" in the p/n) through the dealership...
more hid3 factpinions...

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Before I pull my transmission, I thought about performing two checks/tests. The symptom is that I can not put the shifter into 2nd or 3rd gear. Reverse, 1st, and I think 4th and 5th can be selected. I say I think about 4th and 5th, since I can not get the car moving fast enough to shift from 1st to 4th. With the engine running, and clutch depressed 2nd and 3rd cannot be selected. With the engine off and the clutch depressed, 2nd and 3rd cannot be selected.

Would either of the following two checks/tests help confirm the need to replace the transmission?

1) Adjust the shift linkage

2) Replace the transmission oil. It would be interesting to see the amount of metal and the look of the oil from the draining. Having purchased the car without records, I am not sure if the transmission oil has been drained previously.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
1) Adjust the shift linkage

2) Replace the transmission oil. It would be interesting to see the amount of metal and the look of the oil from the draining. Having purchased the car without records, I am not sure if the transmission oil has been drained previously.
1) Good idea
2) You can drain the fluid to a clean container and see how much and what comes out of there. Then, in order to save on expensive fluid, add the amount what is missing and fill the trans correctly. If that solves the problem you'll be the most happy person in NA.

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
When I changed mine, it only had a little more than half the gear oil in it. There is a TSB about this.

1) Good idea
2) You can drain the fluid to a clean container and see how much and what comes out of there. Then, in order to save on expensive fluid, add the amount what is missing and fill the trans correctly. If that solves the problem you'll be the most happy person in NA.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Well, I adjusted the shift linkage, and was able to get 2nd gear back. 3rd is gone. After going out on a test drive and shifting from 2nd to 4th, I see now why 3rd is gone. For any city driving, 3rd would be used most of the time.

Next step is to drain the fluid, if I find any metal, then I will probably pull the transmission this weekend. If the fluid looks good, then I will refill (per the TSB), and see if that works.
Any problem using Mobil 1 70w90 GL-5 fluid as a test to see if it helps? If I would get 3rd back (which I doubt), I can then drain and replace with the proper GL-4 (or VW) fluid.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
I'd use the cheapest trans fluid available. If you find out that this helped, then consider a flush & refill with proper OEM fluid.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
For some reason, I lost 2nd gear today. After readjusting the shift linkage, 2nd came back. Still no 3rd. I did drain the transmission fluid, and it did contain the proper amount, so I refilled. The fluid did not look dark, so it probably had been changed recently. Have not had time to drive the car around, but I still could not shift into 3rd.

Could there be something wrong with the shift linkage? Are there bushings that wear or break that could prevent shifting into 3rd. I cannot even get the lever into the 3rd gear slot, it is like there is no slot. I would think that if the 3rd gear was bad, you could at least get the lever to where 3rd is.

Does shift forks or pins break, and then get it the way of the shifter movement?

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
The shift cable endings (shift forks, or pins how do you camm them) indeed wear out since there are bishes. Mine on on the way out.

Mach1

TDI
Dont be too quick to pull that trans, sounds like shifter problems, the shift adjust has to be set up just right, or it will not go into gear.

Dieselgeek has the setup up on his site, you have to pin the trans and the shifter, then adjust the cables, and yes, I would check them for wear in the bushings, at both ends..

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I have checked. double and triple checked and adjusted the shifter linkage (per DieselGeek's instructions). Even used the shift selector on top of the transmission to shift through the gears. The transmission will not select 3rd. Reverse, 1st and 5th, all at the same position as 3rd gear, only on a different level of the selector can be selected. Dropped the Transmission last night, not too bad of a job, it did get hung up on the lower control arm, had to twist the transmission to get it out.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Got the new transmission installed with a new SMF/Clutch. Car shifts great and I have all the gears. Did strip the clutch slave cylinder bleed screw, so I need to stop by the dealer to get one of those (why plastic for the slave cylinder and bleed screw?).

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
How much transmssion fluid did you use for the first fill?

Glad the install went well.

I am having my transmission worked on right now. I should know the extent of the damage by tomorrow, but I will get it back dry and was wondering if you used more than the recommended 1.8L of gear oil... I have read that the dry transmission takes a full 3L.

I called a local VW stealership to verify this, but they couldn't answer me.

Thanks

Got the new transmission installed with a new SMF/Clutch. Car shifts great and I have all the gears. Did strip the clutch slave cylinder bleed screw, so I need to stop by the dealer to get one of those (why plastic for the slave cylinder and bleed screw?).

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The transmission I received from ECS did have oil in it. I did drain the oil to see how much was in, and it had 1.8L to 1.9L. So I put back in 1.9L.

I never found any information about dry transmissions. If mine was dry, I probably would have put 2 or 2.5L in, drive it around the block to cirulate the fluild, and then drain. If less than 1.8L came out, then I would put in 1.8L, if more came out, then put in only 1.8.

Maybe the shop working on the trans, can give you an idea of the amount of oil that came out?

theinternot

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Good idea.

I will just do a fill, run it, drain it, and see what is left.

I doubt the shop measured what came out... and even so, I think I still want to see what gets held in the gears vs. what actually comes out in a drain.

Thanks!

The transmission I received from ECS did have oil in it. I did drain the oil to see how much was in, and it had 1.8L to 1.9L. So I put back in 1.9L.

I never found any information about dry transmissions. If mine was dry, I probably would have put 2 or 2.5L in, drive it around the block to cirulate the fluild, and then drain. If less than 1.8L came out, then I would put in 1.8L, if more came out, then put in only 1.8.

Maybe the shop working on the trans, can give you an idea of the amount of oil that came out?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
When you put the transmission back in, if you do it, or have a shop do it, and then bleed the clutch slave cylinder, be very careful of the plastic (yes plastic) bleed screw. It is very easy to over tighten, strip the threads, and require the purchsae of an entire slave cylinder ($100).
Ask me how I know :mad:

I would suggest not manually bleeding the system by opening and closing the screw while someone pumps the clutch pedal. A pressure bleeder, where you open the bleed screw once and then close it when bleed, will reduce the chance of stripping the screw.