2002 golf trunk

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Is there a release handle on the inside. Mine is a Jetta and there is a greenish handle on drivers side. This is what I used when the cable inside broke on mine.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Can you open the rear hatch from the driver's door switch?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Your gonna have to go in through the back seat , fold them down , remove the two screws in the handle and pop the inside trim off the rear hatch. Once you get that off you will see the locking mechanism and with some lube , lube it up and move it out of the way so you can unlock it. Not fun but doable……

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Your gonna have to go in through the back seat , fold them down , remove the two screws in the handle and pop the inside trim off the rear hatch. Once you get that off you will see the locking mechanism and with some lube , lube it up and move it out of the way so you can unlock it. Not fun but doable……
Not fun, you may even crack some plastic but that's how its done.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The actuator arm snaps on to a ball attached to the latch if I recall correctly. The actuator arm has probably come unsnapped from that ball.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
on mine, the actuator moves an arm that rotates on a spring pin, that pin backs out and doesn't let the arm on the motor interact with the handle on the hatch
Push it back together with a pliers and its right as rain

to get it open, crawl into the back and rip the plastic off the hatch up near the window so you can jam an arm down in there, then blindly fumble with the latchy bits until you manage to get the hatch to open
then you can remove the plastic and see what you're doing once the hatch is open

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You’re going to have to get that plastic panel off to see what’s going on with the lock mechanism. I’ve had to remove mine a couple of times because if a stuck or inoperable lock.

If you remove the two Phillips head screws that are located in the pull down handle then pop the plastic off at the window you should be able to get the plastic trim piece off or at least reach the lock mechanism so you can manipulate it manually and get the hatch open.