2002 Golf Hatch Locked Open

Coasty

TDI
2002 Golf Manual 265k miles
I was transporting a large wheel barrow in the back of my golf so I clicked a ratchet strap hook into the trunk lock as I've done with many other cars and then put the other hook underneath the car to keep the hatch down as I drove through town. When I was done trunk unlock button didn't open the catch so I couldn't close the trunk. I'm thinking there is a switch somewhere that isn't letting the latch open. I can't seem to find it though. Any thoughts?

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Same thing was happening with a buddy's Beetle hatch lock

A good soaking with WD-40, and it would "half latch"

A few more closings and openings, more WD 40, it works fine now

Just a suggestion....

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Could be the actuator for the latch mechanism. Pop off the interior plastic hatch cover (2 screws in the grab handles, then pull straight off). The actuator has what looks like a piston that moves in and out, these apparently fail quite regularily. $38 CDN at the parts depts, get the new updated one if that's the problem.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've had this problem too in my 02 Golf. In my case the solenoid actuator worked fine, the lock assembly was fine, but still it was difficult to open the rear hatch and sometimes impossible to get it to latch when closed.

To open the hatch, I had to activate it using the switch inside the car and then put the key in the lock and turn it all the way around to get it to finally open. Closing the hatch and getting it to lock again afterwards was hit or miss...mostly miss. :( Slamming the hatch down hard also didn't help.

I finally pulled the latch cover off after uttering much profanity and studied the design. I found my problems were due to the lever or link between the lock mechanism and handle wasn't moving freely. This lever or "teeter totter" piece was binding up where it pivots. When this piece can't pivot freely, everything else gets stuck too. Mine was stuck badly enough that it was difficult to move by hand. Lubing it helped a lot and solved the problem. I need to pull it apart again and get some fresh lube in there because it's getting sticky again.

This seems to be fairly common in older Golfs. I'll take some hi-res pics and post 'em after I get in there again.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Try hitting the unlock hatch switch as usual. Then using your fingers try to push the lock mechanism (the metal tab that closes over the metal tab thing to keep hatch closed) back into open position.