2002 golf grind on start-up

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
video:

i've been hearing this noise starting my car recently. my theory is that it's the starter getting stuck and not retracting right away. i was letting someone drive my car and they would keep holding the key when starting it. they stalled out quite a bit because they suck at driving stick so they turning it off and on quite a bit. i kept telling them not to hold it but they just kept doing it. not letting them drive again. the car has 230k miles and it's still on it's original clutch. if anyone knows what it actually is or can confirm its what i think it is that would be great. the google drive link above is a video of me starting the car with my phone under the front end.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Could not access the video, it said that the owner would receive an email. but sounds like your starter is going by the way you described it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The theory is that this starter noise is associated with clutch dust. I do not know if that's true. Some people have removed and cleaned the starter, but that seems like a lot of work if there are a lot of miles on the starter already. You'll have to decide for yourself when to get a new starter, or if you want to try cleaning it.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Starters can be rebuilt too. It's a simple mechanism. Plunger and a set of contacts. Granted I haven't rebuilt one from this car, I wouldn't hesitate opening it up if you have it off the car. Pretty easy to get it out too. If you have to remove it anyway, might want to see if rebuild kits are available (I just had mine out this weekend). Much cheaper option than buying a new or inferior aftermarket one.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Mozambiquer

TDI
That worked. Sounds like it's getting a bit sticky. You can clean it up and that'll do a lot for it. Do you know if yours is the Bosch or Valeo starter? The easiest way to see the difference is that the Valeo one has the bolts on the outside, like the one I rebuilt, and the Bosch one has those bolts on the inside. The Bosch one has bushings, which can get dry, whereas the Valeo one has needle bearings.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Yeah, that's the starter dragging. Been there, done that. I think it's a judgment call if you want to fix or replace it. Getting at the starter is a bit of work, since the battery tray needs to be removed for access. Plus the two starter mounting bolts also pull double duty as engine-to-gearbox mounting bolts, so they're going to be pretty tight. I made a Youtube video about it, if you're interested.

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
just fixed the car today. it's a bosch starter, the original as well. i took it apart, cleaned and regreased everything. dropped it back in and it was perfect. it took me about 4 and half hours and costed $6 because i only had to buy the grease. thank you guys for the help, saved me a bit of money and gave me something fun to do.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
My Golf did that when I got it at 100k...I let it continue until about 240k when its engine took up residence in a much nicer body. At that point I did leave the nice Jetta starter resume its life behind the Golf engine. It did not get worse, and I will clean/lube it if ever I need a starter.
cheers,
Douglas