2002 alh maintenance

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Decided i'd better have someone look at my rig recently. Been having a pause in the acceleration for a bit. Figured it was the egr and manifold caked up. Found out from Dieselland here in Colo. that the maf was dead, and there were some vacuum leaks. Anyways, my point here is that i got lazy because the alh is so consistent and just keeps running without complaint (except when its below freezing). Car is running great now and i'm really contemplating a stage 1 tune for a little more fun factor. Had this TDI for 3.5 years. Bought it with 150k miles on it for $3k. I've had a new clutch and the timing belt done it and it just feels like it will go another 100k for sure.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I've been running Upsolute Stage 1 tune since new. It's been 186K miles and the best money I've spent on this car. The increase in power makes the car much more fun to drive and it hasn't affected the reliability so far.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Upsolute? Really? It's 2018. Upsolute was OK 15 years ago, but any tune that's out there now for the ALH is immensely better. I had an Upsolute in my Wagon in '03, and in '04 attended at TDI Dyno Day in CT. Saw power curves of cars with Rocketchip tunes and never looked back. You can do far, far better than Upsolute these days.

And to the OP, I wouldn't assume, based on what you say you've done to your car, that it's 100%. I'd run some boost logs to make sure the turbo and actuator are working as designed. And look at injector balance. Get the car running as well as it can be stock before tuning. That way you'll enjoy the tuned car even more.