2001, won't start, have VAG fault codes, help!!

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI, Jetta 2009 TDI
I have a 2001 Jetta, 135,000 miles, that wont start with the following engine faults

16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit: Malfunction
P0380 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62): Open or Short to Plus
P1256 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
P1557 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-00 - -
17656 - Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation
P1248 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

The glow plug fault is an old problem, but the other 4 are new. Everything is stock and I have never adjusted the pump.

Symtoms are, rough idle over past week; blinking glow plug light over past two days, died on road this morning. I am in Boston and the temperature today was 13 F.

I replaced fuel filter, (prefilled it), and it still wont start. The codes seem like it is injector pump related. Any advice?

thanks,
George

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Don't Panic!

If you changed the filter, then you probably put a big slug of air in the system and need to get rid of it. Crack open (with a wrench) the nut on the #3 injector and spin the motor until fuel squirts out, then retighten.

While you're there, check the condition of the connector and wiring on that injector.

Also, how much glow time are you getting? Should be several seconds at that temperature. If not, then the coolant sensor is where you look next. check its wiring and replace if necessary (the sensor). If you leave it unplugged, you should get maximum glow time.

Oh yes, you DO have winterized fuel, don't you? If not, go get some Artic Express and pour it in.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks weedeater,

Do you have an opinion on the fault codes? I fear that they are related to the problem. I will try your suggestions.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
I loosed #3 fuel injector nut and then cranked. Fuel did come out after a bit of cranking, but it was a dribble not a squirt. I tightened it and then tried to start. No luck.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Many of the codes will come in simply by having a clogged fuel filter, or putting on a new one with air in it,as the quantity adjuster tries to keep the engine running it can reach its limits, though we do not know if that is what you had.

The coolant sensor may be bad ... that code is not expected. If the coolant sensor is bad it will affect your timing and make it hard to start and run rough, but you would not expect the fuel quantity codes.

The glow plug doesn't mean anything.

Did you read the codes before or after changing the filter?

Dan

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks DanG144,

Chronological events:

Rough idle and glow plug warning light is blinking for a few days.
Left lights on overnight and drain battery on 13 F night.
Jumpstar car in morning; drive away; and dies about a mile down the road.
After tow, warmed up car in garage and replaced filter (prefilled).
Still would not start.
Ran Vag-com for codes.

I know ignoring the early symptoms may sound irresponsile, but I am in the middle of recovering from a significant house fire. Unfortunately the car was neglicted and I my nature is to resist bringing it to a dealer. Any help is appreciated.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
new symptom just in:

The measued quantity of fluid in the old filter was about 12 oz total, 8 diesel, 4 water Seems like about half full. What could cause this?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
bad fuel.

And bad news, I think. If that water made it to the pump, it's probably toast.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks weedeater,

Maybe you misinterpeted my point. The fuel filter was half full, the other half was air. There was only a small amount of water present.

How can I get that much air in the system and what is the best way to get it out? I dont have any suction tools. I did loosen # 3 nut and fuel came out. Kind of like a dribble, not squirting. This seems odd to me if the operating pressure is 3000 psi.

George

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
cleaning fuel tank

I would pull all the fuel out of my tank. Clean the tank. Clean the fuel pickup unit. Replace the fuel filter again. It is actually an easy task to clean the tank. You do not have to remove it, just work through the hole under your right rear seat. I used a 2.3 gallon mityvac (sucks and pumps by a bicycle type hand pump -costs about %100 from Northern Tool) to do a couple of tanks. You can pump it out and put it into 5 gallon bottles. Depending upon how foolish/brave/desperate you are you might be able to use a shop vac or siphon to remove the fuel. Actually wipe down the inside of the tank with rags. Clean out the fuel pickup.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=68872

Start off with new fuel. Use a fuel additive that is supposed to remove water FROM DIESEL FUEL for a few tanks full.

You will have to go through the usual priming steps, complicated by the fact that ice may be blocking your lines and pump. You could also use a 2.3 gallon mityvac to force fuel into your IP to prime it.

The Injector Pump (IP) may be bad. Ice in it certainly won't do it any good. But I would try it.

PS. Weedeater, Oilhammer, MOGolf and many, many others know more about these cars than I do. This is just what I would do.

PM me your phone number and I will call you this evening.
Dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The water in your tank could have frozen and plugged your fuel pickup unit. The passages in it are very small; living where you do you probably want to change to the H sending unit or modify your existing one as referrenced in the thread above.

Warning, once you get water into Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, organic growth is almost sure to follow. You probably want to use a BIOCIDE like Power Service BIOKLEEN.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Dan and Weedeater,

After adding some antigel additive in the fuel and persistive cranking, I got the car running this morning. All the faults cleared except 01039 coolant temp sensor G2.

I plan to drill out the check valve in the sender sometime soon.

TDI com is great. This is a good example of the internet positives. I love you guys.

George