2001 Ford Galaxy TDI PD AUY 115HP

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
helped someone who came to Europe (Switzerland) for a year from Canada looking for a car with several kids. Just wanted to share a profile of what is kind of representative and available and what I found and what work was needed on this particular PD built in Portugal.
Car looked good off the lot in Swiss and I ran VCDS on it for codes and the boost. It was overboosting a bit but engine sounded great with 300K Kms. Of course I was unable to drop the underpan there but did the deal anyway for about $2000. Contrary to the PD injector wiring and PD injector issues most report it had other issues after 300,000 Kms:
- It had a weird issue where the Head Gasket leaked coolant into combustion at high loads with engine overheating. Occured first time when trying to climb Swiss mountains. For flat, part load driving no problem. Drove the vehicle to Germany for the work. Too expensive in Swiss. Supplied Head gasket/bolts and timing belt kit for €200 and shop charged €700 labor.
- AC compressor was shot. Pulley freezing meant on the brink of ripping the belt as well. replaced it self for €40 used. (Germany is parts/used parts heaven)
- AC Condensor then had a hole. Not fixed yet.
- Clutch Master Cylinder leaking. Replaced self for €130 (Had to buy the part in France else €70 in Germany)
- Driverside half axle inner CV boot ripped. Not yet fixed.
- Clutch thow out bearing chirping at cold start. Not yet fixed.

In any case with the work done it is humming really nice up and down the alps. As I said no PD injector and wiring issues.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It's basically the AJM engine and that head gasket thing is very common

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh, a lot of them just have small changes and vw give them a different code, like the AGR, AHF and ALH are basically all the same engine but the AGR has a wastegate turbo and different crank sensor, the AHF is a 110 version but also with a different cranks sensor.

They did it with the PD130's as well, ASZ is the main one but then you got another in the passats and audis that just had slightly smaller injectors.

Not sure what it is that's different between the AJM and AUY though but I think they'll be exactly the same lump underneath.

I think the head gasket thing might be something to do with where the engine was built or maybe the parts used.
The ARL and ASZ are identical bare engines but we have a few ARL's with bad cam wear, apparently there was a bad batch of cams made at some point and only fitted to the ARL even though both engines use the same cam.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Drive a gasser version of that in England several years ago. Decent enough vehicle. Decent size as well

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The tdi is better for sure, the petrols seem underpowered. The older one with the AFN was a really good one, gearing to suit so it was pretty nippy but still returned about 45 mpg UK gallon.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
The ARL and ASZ are identical bare engines but we have a few ARL's with bad cam wear, apparently there was a bad batch of cams made at some point and only fitted to the ARL even though both engines use the same cam.
My colleague has a 2006 A3 with a BKC motor 1.9L. He also needed the cam replaced. I still love the vrooom and feel of the PD engines. It's a pity all these engine top end issues occured with the PDs by moving the injection there.