2 unique salvage/rebuilt TDI situations

Josh@jaztuning.com

TDI
Lots
I have two vehicles that were salvaged, but SHOULD be eligible for buybacks.

The first is a 2012. Salvaged 4/29/16, I purchased it from an insurance auction 9/9/16. In the process of rebuilding now. Gets inspected tomorrow and will come back with a rebuilt title. Put the claim in on the VW portal, it went through.

The second is a 2011. Salvaged 10/24/15. I purchased it from an insurance auction 3/7/16. Car is rebuilt, just waiting on the title to come back. Same as other. Put the claim in and it went through.

Now as far as I could come up with, both of these cars should be buyback eligible correct? Anyone have any information to disprove it?

I bought the first one to drive myself, and the second one I was going to sell as is but based on the information I could find, I chose to rebuild it and buyback instead

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I believe that they are both eligible as long as the insurance auction is not misconstrued as a "junk yard"

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I believe that they are both eligible as long as the insurance auction is not misconstrued as a "junk yard"
Even if it is, it shouldn't matter. Neither car had a branded title on 9/15/15, so the "branded title" exclusion (such as it is) doesn't apply.

AGeeK TDI 5

TDI
2015 Jetta, 2013 Passat, 2013 Jetta, 2013 Jetta, 2012 Passat
I own 5 TDIs and bought 4 of them after the June 28th settlement language was released. 3 of my vehicles have salvaged titles. All branded after 9/18/15. I confirmed with Hagens Berman that I can do this. You're gunna ca$h in my friend, but the question is when...

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
I own 5 TDIs and bought 4 of them after the June 28th settlement language was released. 3 of my vehicles have salvaged titles. All branded after 9/18/15. I confirmed with Hagens Berman that I can do this. You're gunna ca$h in my friend, but the question is when...
How do you bypass the registration document requirement on the claim site? I have a salvage I purchased in sept 2016 that runs and is driveable. I bought it as a parts car. It was hit in the rear so the hatch is destroyed and the rear frame is bent.

Last edited:

AGeeK TDI 5

TDI
2015 Jetta, 2013 Passat, 2013 Jetta, 2013 Jetta, 2012 Passat
They all have titles that are actually branded "Rebuilt", so they are registered.

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
They all have titles that are actually branded "Rebuilt", so they are registered.
I have a title for mine in my name but it's branded salvage. For me to register it I would have to rebuild it and get a FL rebuild inspection.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
This is what I've been told over and over" Branded titles are excluded only if (1) the title was branded on or before 9/18/15, and (2) the car was sold by a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15." The "AND" is the key

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
If both your cars are approved.. NICE WINDFALL!:D;)

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Salvaged title approved.

Just received first round of approvals for my salvaged titled 2013 Golf. The next step is the auditor. I would think, and please tell me if I am wrong, the auditor is to ba a check and balance to make sure VW isn't screwing anyone. If so, I feel good I will have an offer within 10 days.!!!:D

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
This is what I've been told over and over" Branded titles are excluded only if (1) the title was branded on or before 9/18/15, and (2) the car was sold by a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15." The "AND" is the key
I've been thinking about this language and I cannot fathom a situation where both (1) and (2) applies to exclude one from the settlement, and that is that the car was:
a: in an accident before 9-18-15
b: title branded by the insurance company prior to 9-18-15
c: sat in a junkyard through 9-18-15, after which someone picked it up at auction.

So if the car was in an accident after 9-18-15, had the title branded, was purchased at auction from a junkyard after 9-18-15, then accordingly it is eligible.

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
The first is a 2012. Salvaged 4/29/16, I purchased it from an insurance auction 9/9/16. In the process of rebuilding now. Gets inspected tomorrow and will come back with a rebuilt title. Put the claim in on the VW portal, it went through.
This one might take a couple go-arounds with the settlement folks. It had a branded title on 9/18/15. It won't have gotten it's rebuilt title until after 9/18/16. It meets the wording of the settlement, but I bet they'll give you a hard time about it.

I'll be selling back 1 clean title car and one rebuilt title (all after 9/18/16) ASAP and am currently rebuilding 2 more post 9/18/16 crash cars as fast as possible.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Looks like previous poster misread the info: OP's car didn't have branded title on 9/18/16.

Curious on the progress of any salvage title, post 6/28 buyers. Good news in another thread today of post 6/28 buyers getting 100% restitution offers, but still some haze if there's a salvage title in the mix...

DOH!

TDI
JSW
My situation and seeking guidance. Have a 2011 JSW with 128,600 miles. Got all docs submitted and approved, awaiting offer letter. I opted for buyback with values of:
10,900 buyback
5,100 restitution
16,000 TOTAL

Hit a deer on Tuesday night and pretty sure it's totaled. Engine was still running and wheels/suspension/frame seem undamaged. Here are what I see as options:

1) No insurance claim and get my body guy to make it driveable to dealership for up to 1000 out of pocket and net 15,000

2) Make claim and it's totaled for 7000 payout. Buy back for 1000 salvage, put in 1000 to make driveable and net 21,000

What am I missing/assuming? What are the risks?

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
Call one of the plaintiff's attorneys, Leif and Cabraser I believe are the leads, and give them all your details and they can advise you far more accurately than any of us here... They are being paid for handling the case and are very responsive.

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
I'd tell them to give you as much as they're willing without putting a salvage title on it. In other words, you don't want to buy the salvage back from them, you want to keep it from ever being their car. Then fix it and turn it in.

My situation and seeking guidance. Have a 2011 JSW with 128,600 miles. Got all docs submitted and approved, awaiting offer letter. I opted for buyback with values of:
10,900 buyback
5,100 restitution
16,000 TOTAL

Hit a deer on Tuesday night and pretty sure it's totaled. Engine was still running and wheels/suspension/frame seem undamaged. Here are what I see as options:

1) No insurance claim and get my body guy to make it driveable to dealership for up to 1000 out of pocket and net 15,000

2) Make claim and it's totaled for 7000 payout. Buy back for 1000 salvage, put in 1000 to make driveable and net 21,000

What am I missing/assuming? What are the risks?

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
So is anyone else with a rebuilt salvage vehicle still waiting to even have their docs looked at? We bought my MIL's '10 JSW right after the scandal broke, but we'd verbally agreed to buy it literally days before sh*t went down, never fathoming what a crazy mess this whole saga would be.

She bought the vehicle when it was about a year old. It was "totaled" while parked at the St. Louis airport during a tornado. As far as anyone knows, the ONLY thing that needed repair/replacement was the windshield (and it has very minor paint chips, but not a single dent). We assume the insurance adjusters simply totaled every vehicle on the lot -- regardless of damage -- in order to simplify matters.

She paid $18k for it at auction, so it was far from a junker. CarFax claims the reduction in value over the same vehicle with a clean title is only -$1200.

Anyhow, it's a little nerve-wracking seeing vehicles purchased after the June deadline receiving offers while we're still on step 1. All of our docs were uploaded on 9/23. I don't know whether to call and sit on hold for hours or just sit tight. And now the JSW has a random driveline clunk, so we have it parked. And have been sitting on 3 vehicles, since the 11 year old car that we'd planned to sell when we bought the JSW has become necessary to keep around due to the uncertainty of what was going to become of the JSW.

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
So is anyone else with a rebuilt salvage vehicle still waiting to even have their docs looked at? We bought my MIL's '10 JSW right after the scandal broke, but we'd verbally agreed to buy it literally days before sh*t went down, never fathoming what a crazy mess this whole saga would be.
She bought the vehicle when it was about a year old. It was "totaled" while parked at the St. Louis airport during a tornado. As far as anyone knows, the ONLY thing that needed repair/replacement was the windshield (and it has very minor paint chips, but not a single dent). We assume the insurance adjusters simply totaled every vehicle on the lot -- regardless of damage -- in order to simplify matters.
She paid $18k for it at auction, so it was far from a junker. CarFax claims the reduction in value over the same vehicle with a clean title is only -$1200.
Anyhow, it's a little nerve-wracking seeing vehicles purchased after the June deadline receiving offers while we're still on step 1. All of our docs were uploaded on 9/23. I don't know whether to call and sit on hold for hours or just sit tight. And now the JSW has a random driveline clunk, so we have it parked. And have been sitting on 3 vehicles, since the 11 year old car that we'd planned to sell when we bought the JSW has become necessary to keep around due to the uncertainty of what was going to become of the JSW.
When i signed up on my Sept 2016 purchased rebuilt title car, I checked "Had a clean title on 9/18/15" and "was bought from a junkyard or salvage auction after 9/18/15" so indicating that it has a rebuilt title. My docs were accepted on 11/14, no offer yet though. I'd be calling if I were you. Assuming your car got its rebuilt title before 9/18/15 there's no way they can refuse to buy it.

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
When i signed up on my Sept 2016 purchased rebuilt title car, I checked "Had a clean title on 9/18/15" and "was bought from a junkyard or salvage auction after 9/18/15" so indicating that it has a rebuilt title. My docs were accepted on 11/14, no offer yet though. I'd be calling if I were you. Assuming your car got its rebuilt title before 9/18/15 there's no way they can refuse to buy it.
Yeah, the salvage and rebuild were documented back in '11. MIL owned it for 4 years. We've had it over a year.

I probably will call. Gotta find a day when I can sit on the phone for a few hours. :rolleyes:

Logancbray

TDI
2012 Audi a3
Rebuilt title buyback

Has anyone successfully returned a diesel 2.0 with a rebuilt or salvage title. I have a 2012 Audi A3 with 2.0 diesel. It was wrecked December 2015 it was rebuilt inspected and registered in May 2016 I drive the car daily. I have been going through the process for months. I got the final offer got it notarized and sent it back. I made an appointment for my return. Approx 2 weeks from today. The day after I made the appointment they sent me an email asking for previous registration. As I stated I have an appointment with them to buy the car. This is insanely frustrating as there is no reason I would have the previous registration and there's no realistic way I'd be able to obtain it. Has anyone else had this problem. Again to be clear my car has a rebuilt title it is inspected, insured, and registered. I bought the car from an auto auction. The title states that the previous owner was aaa insurance. NOT AAA JUNKYARD. Has anyone had this problem does anyone have any experiences or helpful info. Thanks in advance!

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
That's weird...they wanted that proof of sale thing before they even approved all of my docs. My buyback date will be 2/21.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Yeah, that is weird to approve everything, make an offer, THEN request more docs.

My guess is that they started doing the prev reg inquiries after they'd already gotten your offer letter together, but then put you through the paces as you fit some kind of critera, i.e. Salvage/rebuilt title, post scandal purchaser, etc.

Let us know how it goes.