2" home made trailer hitch

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
here a some pics of my hitch project

I used 2" square tube 19"long to utilize the side holes on the bumper shock rail and cut the shock plate off and reused it on the tube so I have 8 bolts holding it all on. Plus no loss of clearance. total cost of purchases 25 dollars. I had the tubing, but bought an 8" receiver tube and bolts. On the passenger side I cut and inch off two sides off the tubing and welded a piece on a 45 so it would fit into the frame rail. I also put angle on the receiver tube front and back to have more strength. pics should be here if I did it right. now I have to make one for black no.7 her sister car I hope to do it in half the time!

Last edited:

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I would like to build something similar to this for my '13 jetta sedan but I would have to be able to hide it incase I run into dsg issues.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
copy a bosal swan neck? why no warranty if you tow something?
my next thing is wiring I hope to find a way around the purchase or the translator bow for my lights 2 times $40 bucks for outfitting 2 cars

billybaru13

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Looks great guys. I was thinking about doing the something to upgrade from my curt 1.25" hitch. I usually drag a trailer around to haul my moto around to races. I would love to use some sort of hitch hauler and not have to bring the trailer. My guess is that the bike with the hitch hauler would be about 300lbs. HAve you guys had that sort of tounge weight on your setups?

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I dont think 300# would hurt on these setups. There might be more of a spring issue and bottoming out. you may need the wagon towing springs. I saw a hitch mount dirt bike hauler made for 2 large dirt bikes on a 1500 chevy. I dont know what their tounge weight is but i dont think it is that much (600-1000# on a class 3). Hopefully some one else will chime in.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The car spring and other car components will be the weak point-no longer the hitch. But too much weight on the back does make turning much harder as does stopping.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
i was considering a bike hauler with a second atachment point to cut out the wobble I see in cargo trays and the bike racks.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I use a homemade bike rack on the back of my RV. Granted my hitch is way sturdy, but I never have problems. Have very minimal money into it.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm sure you could find someone local to fab you one up. I'm camping this week, so I can't do any measuring for you though.