2.0tdi swapping r32 golf

Schwartz499

TDI
2012 Passat 2.0tdi motor
So I have just come across a 2.0 tdi motor out of a 2012 Passat and was looking at trying to swap it into a manual r32 golf and was wondering if that was possible and what should I do about wiring harnesses and stuff like that.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well you'd need the ECU and engine wire harness. The ECU would have to be sent in to have the immo deleted.

Not to mention idk if the bell housing would bolt on that block. Be a neat project

Schwartz499

TDI
2012 Passat 2.0tdi motor
Well you'd need the ECU and engine wire harness. The ECU would have to be sent in to have the immo deleted.

Not to mention idk if the bell housing would bolt on that block. Be a neat project
Yeah I was reading some stuff about the bell housing. Maybe get a haldex trans from a Audi TT?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VR6 bolt pattern won't work, while it is a similar arrangement, for reasons only VAG knows, the inline 4 gets canted 15 degrees to the back, the VR6 gets canted a few degrees to the front.

Also, you don't say if the R32 is the A4 (manual) car or the A5 (DSG) car. In either case, you'd need to source a 4 cyl gearbox to use.

Also, the CKRA engine from the NMS Passat would be the LAST 2.0L CR TDI I would want to use in any swap.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
The VR6 bolt pattern won't work, while it is a similar arrangement, for reasons only VAG knows, the inline 4 gets canted 15 degrees to the back, the VR6 gets canted a few degrees to the front.

Also, you don't say if the R32 is the A4 (manual) car or the A5 (DSG) car. In either case, you'd need to source a 4 cyl gearbox to use.

Also, the CKRA engine from the NMS Passat would be the LAST 2.0L CR TDI I would want to use in any swap.
Agree need to know platform of R32 is it Mk4 or Mk5?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well the A4 version would certainly be easier, as those are manuals... even though as I stated you won't be able to use the gearbox anyway, but dealing with a manual will already make the rest easier as you won't have that other control unit trying to talk to the others. You could possibly use a 1.8t TT quattro gearbox to make it happen.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
The problem with MK4 cars is they K-Line protocol cars , and CR ECU is CAN Bus protocol which gets communications via Separate Can Gateway module.
2012 Passat reads speed via CAN BUS from ABS vs MK4 reads it from Speed sensor and this will probably put car in Limp mode and limited to 3000 rpm.
So Mk5 will be better choice for that car , and it can be coveted to manual 6 speed as well.