1Z TDI motor+transmission for sale $2,000

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
1996 B4V Donor Shell and good motor, ~251k miles on engine and body.

timing belt done at 245,000

Starts perfectly, no smoke in summer, some smoke at start up in winter but no smoke once warm.

Clean running, smooth, and well maintained engine.

Comes with transmission and clutch that has less than 30k miles on it.

Wiring harness isn't great but it works.

Complete ECU, intercooler, intake, and exhaust pipes.

Body is fading due to NE salt cancer, engine is on a rolling test bed so to speak. Chasiss kind of barely passed Rhode Island's thorough inspection with some kneeling, and begging and promises of body work. It drives but, lets just say 1996 wasn't a good year for VW body steel and sodium chloride.

What it does need are the IP seals ($20 from Dieselgeek) and if you're going to use it as a project and have the chance to pull the bell housing off, a rear main seal is ready to be changed.

Other than that it is a smooth running, starts every time, engine. Head gasket re-done at 210k or so, downpipe replaced at 220-230k it is newish (good condition used part replaced rusted old one).

Injectors replaced with acceptably tested and vetted low mileage set. Have uninstalled new in box set of brand new fat boy Bosio injector nozzles available, and for the right deal a additional complete spare set of injectors.

Time to move on. It has a Rhode Island inspection tag valid until 6/16. It will go most anywhere, come and get it and drive it to your ideal rust free donor car (bring plates).

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Couple points:

-Car is in East Providence, RI

-$2k OBO

-If it helps I can deliver it to the greater DC area

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$1000? Heck I'd take just about any offer at this point.

Anyone? I don't have space at the house to store it.

It is a good example of bad rust but good motor.

Still ideally suited as a rolling test bed for a donor project.

But it does run and drives no problem (100 miles on Sunday, 90 miles the week before)... hate to break it up and part it out.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Taking it to scrap yard for disposal seems easier than dealing with CL (or has been)

project cars not super in demand eh? makes sense, esp given the consistency of this body to rust out, too bad the motor is in so much better shape.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nah, never, you'll never get rid of me, i may have to take a break for a bit but when my oldest kid takes over this wagon replacement, i'll be in the market for a set of oil burner powered wheels...

But I just really hope my passion and everything i've put into this 1Z can find a good home.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
come on, no one wants to pick this up? how about $500?

don't make me take it to the salvage yard. I've come to the realization that I don't have the time to part it out myself but need to get rid of it. Maybe YOU want a part it out project? Drive it this winter, part it out once the weather warms up.

Interior isn't even in bad shape... Photos are up on the CL add http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5224779006.html

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It will easily drive anywhere. Come get it.

I was planning on driving it for another year (until inspection sticker expired) but opportunity to replace came up.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sure - why not, someone with time and space can part it out if they want, come get it soon and it can be yours for a sweet deal

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
for the first time since May 1999 GeWilli does not own a TDI

kind of feeling a bit odd... even my kids say "fill up the car with fuel" not 'gas' so there's that.

Now, i still have all dem der tools for doin dem tbelts and turbos and nozzles and clutches and drive shafts and everything. Maybe someday they'll get put back to use on a car i own... hopefully...