1z p&p

Narviktdi

TDI
A3 8l & Golf 3
Hi there, i'am new here.
I've been trying to read up on how to get more out of my 1z Golf mk3.
But there are a lot off numbers and words i don't understand.

First. I can get my hands on a cheep gt1749v.
Is that the correkt turbo for my use, or will it sitt "wrong".
What is the difference to the va ??

For the vnt, i can use afn parts ??
Like exhaust manifold, ecu, nozzles ? What else ?

Let me ask, what is the easyest way to get the 1749 to work on the 1z ??
Whitch parts would be p&p, and what else would i need ??
What about software ?

Please be gentle with me, i am trying to learn...?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Ok, that’s a lot of info to address right now.
In a nut shell, the 1z engines are basically all the same when it comes to mods. The more out of the box you go, the more you’re going to have to make work.
Cheap? How cheap is cheap? Got a price?

You have a TON of reading to do. Lurk around these forums ad read up on other people’s builds. Talk with tuners about what you want to do.
Do you have a HP goal? Or just have this for a project because it’s cool?
Let’s start with what you want to do with it, then how much $ you have, and then we can go over some options.

In a nut shell, can’t use VTN turbo on a 1z (boost vs vacuum), you can but it’s a lot of swapping parts over and adapters. There is no "correct turbo" just ones that fit and ones that need more modification to get to fit. Most parts can be swapped around, some not so much. You will come across VE and PD when you’re looking for performance parts. VE=ALH and PD=BEW these parts are NOT interchangeable to the 1z or AHU but other 1z engines like ones in other countries have different codes and they all are basically interchangeable.

You can go down the proverbial rabbit hole with these engines and cars because so much of them needs to be upgraded for the next step to work, for instance, once you go with something past a stage 1.5 you probably need a new upgraded clutch that will work for future performance parts. Each stage of modification and power output requires you go further into the rabbit hole. Before you know it you have gone over budget. My 230hp mk3 Jetta cost me about $2,500 USD go get to that power but to handle it for autox I had to spend another 4 grand around the car to get it to handle the power.

You need to have your engine in TIP TOP perfect running order before you go ANYTHING to it.
When was your timing belt done (age and miles)? What about your transmission? Manual or auto? Fluids? Leaks? No reason to put a few grand into something unreliable!

Last edited:

Narviktdi

TDI
A3 8l & Golf 3
Hi, and thanks for reply.
Well, i don't really have a budget. I just wanted to do something with the motor, and i stumbled over the gt turbo.
Then i was googling 1z and vnt, and came onto thid nice site��
Was reading some threads, but those guy's where going all in. And i didn't know if i needed all the upgrades.
Thats why i wanted to create my own thread��

So, got the 1z, maybe a gt1749v, and can get som afn parts like ecu, manifold, nozzles....
Is this a start, or shouldn't i think about afn at all...??
So, what i want, is the vnt turbo to work on the 1z.
That would be a great start. And anything other tuning i would go from there....so dont really have any hp goal..yet.
The hardware i am not so affraid of, if i know what to get.
The software worries me more. I live in a little town in northern norway, without any tuners��
But, i maybe know of a guy how does some software.

The engine needs a new belt anyhow.
Don't know how good the clutch still is, read the vr6 is an upgrade ??

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Turbo wont be good unless you go with some bigger nozzles. 502s or 764s probably the 764s you will need a clutch South bend stage 2 endurance minimum you need egt gauge or you can burn up the turbo unless you go with smaller injection. Malone running or kerma tdi or darkside is probably your best bet for a chip. I would put in a colt cam . Kerma will do a reground one for you for extra savings. PD 150 intake and and 4 bar map sensor for the ECU. Make sure you keep the boost down to 27psi or you can start to run into head lift like I did. ARP head studs will help but only if your not leaking yet. That's a modest build but to crazy. Forget about the vtn turbo or plan in spending a few extra hundred bucks to get it to work and that's a grey area only few have done. Stick with a waste gate turbo and get an upgraded intercooler or modify one to fitm 27x7x2 is the biggest you can squeeze in there with out modifying the front rebar. I have a similar set up with a 32psi gt2052. Making 230 hp at the wheels. I'd probably go with smaller nozzles like the 520s or 1100 series
11mm injection pump is nice too.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
The AFN motor is a 1Z/AHU with a VNT turbo. If you want to put a 1749 on your 1Z motor, you will need the AFN ecu and possibly the wiring harness. If you can get injectors, might as well get them.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good luck with the conversion for AFN, from what i turned up when i was looking at that was a $300 swing just to convert over, maybe parts are cheaper now but you need MORE than just the ECU, you need the MAF, N75, and wiring harness for that engine.

Narviktdi

TDI
A3 8l & Golf 3
Thanks guys,
Getting the afn hardware is no problem, i'm talking to 2-3 guys who are parting som afn's.

So my shoppinglist so far would be:
-afn exh mani
-afn ecu + harness
-nozzles
-N75
-afn maf
-afn injektors
-4bar map sensor
-better clutch
-pd150 intake
-cam (do i need this ?)

What about the rods and pistons, are they good ?
Exhaus i will do myselv.
Have only the 5 speed, will it hold ?

Narviktdi

TDI
A3 8l & Golf 3
I could get the gt1749v for around 120£.
All the afn stuff for under 200£
N74 35£ , 4bar map 50£
Clutch ?
Pd150 intak 60£
Egt gauge ?
But the mapping iam not sure, and this will be the biggest challenge for me. But, i maybe have a guy. Will ask him...

So i don't think its all to bad, money wise....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you need to talk with a tuner. your kinda all over the place. you need a goal.
for the most part stock internals will get you to 170 to 200 hp but thats close to the limit.
ive told you to use the south bend stage 2 clutch or any clutch to handle 400+ ftlbs of torque.
Auber makes the best gauges as you can use them as a relay to trigger things like defuel or h2o injection if EGT's get to high. Auber Gauges
you say you want to use AFN nozzles? you need good high performance nozzle to do anything

you have more than enough information here on these forums, get reading.

Narviktdi

TDI
A3 8l & Golf 3
Ok, maybe i wasn't clear.
My question is, how to convert the 1z to vnt, cheaply.
I would like to use the gt1749v, because i get it cheap.
I would like to use p&p parts that are available, and read that afn parts could be used. And i could get my hands on some.
With cheap or cheaply, i don't mean it in a bad way. It should be a solid build.
I've been reading some stuff here now abaut the 1z, but haven't found the recipe i was looking for. For using the parts that i want to use, if i can, or if they would work.
I don't wanna go for the limit, like 200hp. If i get 150, thats fine. Would be nice. For now.
And yes, i know about the Auber, they are good��
So, what i am asking is a shopping list, maybe from someone who as build a "simple" 1z vnt, maybe used som afn parts, just to get me started.
And yes, i continue searching here on my own too.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
200 is no where near the limit.. I'm doing a 400hp build. Things like harder internals, lower compression, girdle plate, dry sump oil, and so on.
150 is very easy to do. You can do that with that turbo and the parts to swap and larger nozzles. And a stage 2 tune and maybe a clutch and a few other bits. But mostly just better parts not necessarily performance.

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
Thanks guys,
Getting the afn hardware is no problem, i'm talking to 2-3 guys who are parting som afn's.

So my shoppinglist so far would be:
-afn exh mani
-afn ecu + harness
-nozzles
-N75
-afn maf
-afn injektors
-4bar map sensor
-better clutch
-pd150 intake
-cam (do i need this ?)

What about the rods and pistons, are they good ?
Exhaus i will do myselv.
Have only the 5 speed, will it hold ?
I could get the gt1749v for around 120£.
All the afn stuff for under 200£
N74 35£ , 4bar map 50£
Clutch ?
Pd150 intak 60£
Egt gauge ?
But the mapping iam not sure, and this will be the biggest challenge for me. But, i maybe have a guy. Will ask him...

So i don't think its all to bad, money wise....
Oh, my...
You need only ECU from AFN, which is in ALU case.
Dont waste your time on gt1749v, better already find some gtb series turbo, they arent expensive. Like GTB2056VL, which you will be able to direkt fit on AFN manifold with some threading work.
Then get some nozzles 0,260+
IP 11mm
You will need better FMIC
and exhaust work,
And offcourse some remap.

Narviktdi

TDI
A3 8l & Golf 3
Oh, my...
You need only ECU from AFN, which is in ALU case.
Dont waste your time on gt1749v, better already find some gtb series turbo, they arent expensive. Like GTB2056VL, which you will be able to direkt fit on AFN manifold with some threading work.
Then get some nozzles 0,260+
IP 11mm
You will need better FMIC
and exhaust work,
And offcourse some remap.
First of, your numbers on the B4 look gread. With wg turbo !!
Ip 11 comes only from auto cars ??
Where comes the gtb of from ??

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
Go trough Turbo technical data in this forum, and you will find all what you need.
11mm IP you can get from Renault 1.9DTI engine