1985 rebuld

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
now now Canadians, settle down. :)

The Jetta has already been traded to me for 5 lessons on bushing installation.

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
[FONT=&quot]#1-Let me start by saying Ron no more great ideas....this was a job that needed doing, but it was a pain in the ass. This also opened a can of worms, in the way of cleaning.....

#2- Ron remember how we were talking about the scene in Over the Top, where the guy drinks the motor oil. You were positive it would kill you very quickly, let me say I think it maters on the weight of the oil, because I drank about a liter of diesel and I'm still kicking two hours later, however I’m very thirsty....

Ok so here it is the removal of the diesel tank. It was very dirty both inside and out, and I now plan on changing the lines from the tank to under the hood....

Here we are in the trunk...

after removing the cap exposed wire, and hoses

Sending unit removed and cleaned, had to be very careful with it...

This wet/dry vacuum was key through the entire process to ensure loose dirt didn’t fall in the hole, and for sucking and cleaning out the tank...once washed out.

[/FONT]

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
[FONT=&quot]A peek in the hole to see how much fuel we were dealing with..

My first attempt to siphon the tank, didn’t work to well...

I was going to filter it through an old tee, to see if any large pieces of crap would come out..

Car jacked up ready to loosen the straps

Removing the boot here to expose two nuts...

[/FONT]

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
[FONT=&quot]Nuts through the strap

Here are the nuts behind the boot..

Lowering the tank very slowly so nothing would get snagged...

Here she is out, what a wrestling match that was..

[/FONT]

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
This is what was exposed after the tank was removed to bad will be cleaned before the tank goes back up...

Missed a few key pictures, next I siphon out the rest of the diesel. This is the point were some of it was ingested. I also didn't get the pictures of me violating what I’m sure is an EPA law. I cleaned the inside out with gas soaked rags, than ran water through the entire thing. Did that a few times till the water was clear in the wet vacuum...Here it is all cleaned up....

Since I wanted to get a little more done and didn’t like the way the doors always stuck I sprayed them with my new favorite product...Amsoil synthetic spray grease, works amazing the doors open with ease now.....

Stay tuned more work to come feel I'm getting close to this thing being fired up!!!

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Hey, before you get everything buttoned up back there, can I get you to give me a diameter (or perhaps more easily, a circumference) of the sender unit's hole in the top of the tank?

I'm looking for the possible need to interchange parts between the Q and a Mk2 to get a functioning in-tank pump. Fox parts won't interchange, they're a totally different style, but you at least have the same style seal and flange.

If your Mk2 diesel's tank orifice is the same size as my B2's, I'll go hunting for a Mk2 CIS in-tank pump.

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
TurbinePower said:
Hey, before you get everything buttoned up back there, can I get you to give me a diameter (or perhaps more easily, a circumference) of the sender unit's hole in the top of the tank?
The diameter is 3.5" meaning across the center of the hole

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
well attempt number one to install the axles didnt go so well might have to remove the whole knuckle, I still plan on redoing the rack but i will wait till I do the suspension cause it will make the job much easier....but i got a few other things done..

First up was replacing the old speedo cable. I replaced it about ayear ago when i got the car but recntly the metal flange broke off..

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
Then I cleaned up the washer container, also replaced the little rubber gromet for 30 cents...

Got the shift linking squared up...

new speedo gear, what a ***** to find...

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I love the silver exhaust manifold! Mine just get flat-black, it's less blingy but I'm not usually a fan of flash and glitter. :D

What went wrong with your axle install?

silverstar03

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Props on an epic thread. I'm jealous, you're gonna have a brand new mk2 diesel and you didn't even go to Argentina or China to get it... ;)

Also I think this is the first build I've seen that absolutely completely in any way whatsoever did not use an engine hoist! congrats

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
silverstar03 said:
Props on an epic thread. I'm jealous, you're gonna have a brand new mk2 diesel and you didn't even go to Argentina or China to get it... ;)

Also I think this is the first build I've seen that absolutely completely in any way whatsoever did not use an engine hoist! congrats
Haha thank you....no hoist here me and uncle Ronnie just lifted the car instead haha.....Couldnt get the axles to go in the control arm seemed to get in the way, I was trying to do it with the entire suspension all buttoned up. I saw some where that if you removed the knuckle the whole set up will swing out I have to read a bit more, this is just a minor set back, but honestly the fun part. If there was no issues along the way nothing would have been learned. I bought all new hoses and a hose for the intake. that mcmaster Carr is one hell of a site!!!

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
I notice that the instrument cluster has no tachometer? Just a speedometer, an analog clock, a fuel gauge, and a water temperature gauge?

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
Doug remember you gotta fill the trans through the speedo-cable hole. So you may want to fill it up before you install the cable in the trans. (If you havent already)

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
I think the big ben sytle clock is growing on me.....its a testiment to german puncuality.....yeah gonna wait to fill the trans last thing really

Last edited:

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
So what did you get done this weekend?
Two days with no updates is a bit ridiculous! :mad:

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
Your right it is....between Pre-cana, that focus (church test) and the engagment pics not a damn thing....thursday plan for fuel tank going back in and running the new lines....

AWPGTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1985 Jetta
Got some real nice stuff from Mcmaster carr...

Clear hose from filter to injector pump...guess it was long enough Ron!!

New fuel lines too, and from tank. This is the proper diesel/gas rated hose. Can not belive how flexable it is compared to the 25 year old hose that is in the car!!

Pre-filter I plan to run inline

mountable zip ties that should keep all the wires under the hood in control

new clamps for all the hoses

Here is the air hose I went with, like Ron said its much better quality then anything OEM...here is a mock up of where it will go but I plan on mounting it up too look factory...