17/22

Toddhess92

TDI
ALH
I've been looking to upgrade my turbo on the 03 alh. Tried searching but haven't found anything besides one on Ebay no name brand which I'm not running anything unless it's a Borg or Garrett. Looking for the 17/22 and I cannot find a reputable one seems like they are discontinued. Would rather go the 17/22 route than just a vnt17 or the s7 kerma sells I saw as well. Just wondering if anyone has gotten one recently anywhere. Thanks

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I've been looking to upgrade my turbo on the 03 alh. Tried searching but haven't found anything besides one on Ebay no name brand which I'm not running anything unless it's a Borg or Garrett. Looking for the 17/22 and I cannot find a reputable one seems like they are discontinued. Would rather go the 17/22 route than just a vnt17 or the s7 kerma sells I saw as well. Just wondering if anyone has gotten one recently anywhere. Thanks
Hi

Kerma sells the 17 / 22 ... it's the one they call "doka" ... its about $1350.

I'm thinking about getting it but may have to deal with the clutch first due to strange noises...

Andrew

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Are you talking about the old large scroll 17/22 from the VW vans, (which are next to impossible to find) or are you talking about a new hybrid turbo?
If hybrid, do you have a turbo you can get updated? I have a hybrid 17/56 and some 4 years later, she is still as quiet as a church mouse. I have a custom 24 PSI tune, and talk about fun to drive.:)
EDIT:
Tomorrow is my BDay, so I don't believe the Wife will let me wrench on the Jetta. Now that the camshaft is timed perfectly ( it wasn't and I didn't know) I am going to shorten the actuator arm to bring the boost in sooner; it is no slouch now, but quicker is better. Right?

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Those guys build hybrids day in and day out. $688.00 USD without shipping.
GT1756V VAG is the one priced here.If you have a vnt-17 or even a vnt-15 with a good cartridge, you can likely get out for $300-$400 IIRC---this price is based on what I paid last time, and may be very different as my hybrid was built elsewhere.
They have a 1720 with the large housing too: https://gottuned.com/product/garrett-vnt1720-hybrid-turbo-audi-seat-skoda-vw-1-9-2-0-tdi/

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 17/22 from years ago used the cold side from a VNT-22 and a VNT-17 hot side. Garrett hasn't made the cold side parts for several years, so you're not going to find that 17/22 new anywhere. You may find something similar that someone has assembled. What I liked about the 17/22 was we were able to offer a performance turbo with a manufacturer's warranty. But those days are long gone.

Besides, according to folks here there are now better options, including the 2260.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The 17/22 from years ago used the cold side from a VNT-22 and a VNT-17 hot side. Garrett hasn't made the cold side parts for several years, so you're not going to find that 17/22 new anywhere. You may find something similar that someone has assembled. What I liked about the 17/22 was we were able to offer a performance turbo with a manufacturer's warranty. But those days are long gone.

Besides, according to folks here there are now better options, including the 2260.
You are right there are better options available that come at a significantly higher cost. My Hybrid is almost 5 years old, with120,000 miles, and I really could not be happier; living at 4600' elevation my turbo hardly has to work to make boost. One of these days I will go down to Sea Level, and find out what this turbo can really do.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Please form your own opinions about hybrid turbos...they do come with a warranty just like the factory ones do: 1 year, should be unlimited mileage.
I know there are people doing crap work and we hope we never use them. My Jetta is a daily driver and 4-1/2 years and 120k miles later there are no problems. My turbo is smoother than turkey poop on a flat rock.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Here is a curve ball:https://www.xmanturbos.com/product-...2-180-220bhp-hybrid-turbocharger?currency=USD

This is a 17/22 using a VNT20 cold side with a warranty and compared to the Kerm* Dok ah. I do know how to spell, this is to foil the search bots. The other thing about his turbo, to have a warranty it must be a "professional" installed and a couple of other things too. He knows we buy parts from trusted vendors to save money, so we don't have to pay someone to install the turbos we buy.
Xmanturbos offers a few different configurations: ALH straight, or VNT-17 right hand outlet just like factory.

This the one we have been talking about, the illusive VNT-20 cold side mated to a VNT-17 hot side, with a warranty, and half the price of you-know-who.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I like how hard you avoid saying certain things. Hilarious and I respect it haha

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Nero Morg, thank you. I have learned to avoid conflict with vendors; you never know when a specific vendor is the only one that has the part you needed yesterday, and you were less than cordial with them for some reason. I will praise certain vendors when called for, and when not, I do not send them praise.
I always praise Franko6's work, especially when I am the customer of a certain item, he just did a set of nozzles for me, and my Jetta hauls now. The nozzles he installed gave me throttle response. The ones I took out are-the exact size and make of these nozzles, and the ones I took out ran like crap, bad FE, and smoky too.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I will be cautious discussing fuel economy here, especially since I just installed the new injectors/nozzles done by Franko6. I have only done two partial fill ups and one was average, and one was stellar. Until I double check the FE again, I won't post my numbers.
I will say one more time, the "other guys" consistency in the quality of their work is a crap-shoot after 3 different nozzle installs/swaps by the other guys, they all returned smoke, poor throttle response and poor FE.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

My date with the guru was pushed back so i may take that as a sign to update the tubo ( since he would be changing out the stock alh intake with the brm intake anyways he'll be in the right area anyways).

I looked at the two turbos mentioned in this thread and I was wondering which one was the better of the two choices?

The people in Poland that have to build them seem like they have a lot of interesting aspects Etc but its a 7 day wait to build after payment ....the advantage of the other one was that they may already be built and ready to go?

Which choice is better in your opinion?

do I have to buy any other parts to make the turbo wirk in place of the stock vnt15? Pipes ? adapters ? Which configuration to get it built in option wise?

I do have an upgraded intercooler (side mount) that I could pop down there also or have Guru do that.

Side note : I have never ordered from overseas so I'm not sure how hard that would be or how i would even call them on their unusual-looking telephone number ... not to mention if it would be difficult to speak with them if they don't speak English?

I know Kerma has a version of the turbo called doka but it's pretty expensive compared to these so maybe saving some dollars is not so bad if these are of a reasonable quality?

Thanks and if any input could be provided that would be great I would try to order this as soon as possible

Oh , how is my car going to behave if I don't get the tune changed ?

For what it's worth the reason I'm changing the turbo is because the current one has almost 400,000 miles on it plus I'm hoping for a fuel economy upgrade since that was mentioned on the karma site and I can almost see that happening because of the larger exhaust exit from the upgraded Turbo.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Andrew

Ps - I do have a 3 bar map also

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
If you're looking for another place to get your turbo from that speaks english, send an email to Adam at https://pioneering-performance.com/ to discuss your options with him. He has had excellent customer service on the 2 turbos that I got from him.
Here are some of the options he has on his site at the moment:
VNT-17
VNT-1752(VNT17/22) or could be made into a VNT-1756
I'm not 100% sure if this turbo will work in your car, but it's possibly another option. GTB1756MV
This next turbo might be more than you wanna spend or too large of a turbo, but I'll list it anyway. Custom Cast Manifold GTB2260VK

If the VNT-17/22 is like mine, you'll need a larger piece of hose to connect your TIP to the compressor inlet and a different elbow for the compressor outlet like this one from Forge Motorsports. https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/5445mm_Reducing_Elbow_Silicone_Hose--product--493.html#

Good luck. (y)