160pd in jetboat

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Hi everybody,I'm new to tdi's although not new to diesels but I have just bought a 1.9 tdi from the U.K. to install in my welded aluminum jetboat over the winter.It is a 160pd from a 2005 seat ibiza cupra,the engine code is BPX and I bought what they called a conversion kit (engine,six speed trany,ecu, airbox and maf,wiring harness,instument cluster,ignition switch and key,throttle pedal and switch and the fuel tank with lift pump.)I won't use the trany as the engine will couple directly to the jetdrive shaft and I want to eliminate as much of the wiring harness as possible and just hook up the essential sensors to make the ecu happy.Does anyone have an idea where I could get a wiring diagram for this car?Anybody think of any issues I might run into.I live in northern B.C. Canada and have no road access so the jetboat is the main summer transportation for my family and myself.
Thanks for any advice any of you might have.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
This'll be used in saltwater, yes? So you'll need to arrange a heat exchanger and raw water supply pump...

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I make occasional trips to the salt chuck across the border in alaska but am in fresh water most of the time however I already have a heat exchanger and won't need a raw water pump as the jetdrive itself is just a big water pump and has outlets to take cooling water from.The tdi is to replace an old mitsubishi 4 cyl. idi diesel so the swap should be pretty staightforward except for the electronics.If anyone has a wiring diagram for this engine it sure would help with figuring the electronics out.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Did you check to see that the TDI "turns" the same direction as the Mitsu? You don't want to go really fast in reverse!

Buy the Bentley service manual for the car it came from. It'll have a complete schmatic for the wiring.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Shakey:

Now that will be one SWEET jet!

Second the suggestion to get a print Bentley, but since the Seat was never sold here, you may have to get someone in the UK to get you a copy. You can contact Bentley from their website, and they may well be able to do the deed directly for you.

I have been contemplating a 160/Corado swap for a while. How much did you pay for your complete swap setup, and how did you locate it? How did shipping, customs, etc. work out?

Regards - Pat

caddytd

Veteran Member
TDI
81 CaddyTD Baby Blue
Hey there... Interesting project. I got the SEAT DVD's as part of my ELSA set from the UK, so I very well might have the wiring diagram that you're talking about. I can check for you next week if you like. The only issue is whether my version goes up to that model year.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys, sorry about the slow response but my internet went down shortly after posting and I haven't been able to get back on till now.I have looked on the bentley site and couldn't find anything for the seats.Pat I paid 2000 pounds for everything which worked out to 42something in canadian dollars but the shipping and customs cost me another 4600 for about 8800 all told.The customs was straightforward with no hassles and came to around 750.If I remember correctly there was no duty just gst and pst.I bought it off of ebay from andy coogan who runs a autowrecking business in england called motorsinmotion and I found him very good to deal with.And to caddytd that would be great if you have the wiring diagrams I would appreciate it if you can check on that.I will get back on when I can but not sure how reliable our internet is right now.Thanks to all Laurie.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Laurie:

Holy crap, that's a pile for shipping. I used to get in entire CONTAINERS of engines from Japan for a lot less than that! Did you air freight or something?

Pat

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Pat, yes I had it shipped air freight.

abbyfireguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2002,black
Any pictures?? I run an 18 ft Welded aluminum jet in the Fraser for my guiding operation and am always interested in what other jetboaters have up their sleeves...

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry but I don't have a digital camera so I can't post any pictures.I built the boat about 12 years ago it is 18'6" with a 5' bottom 10 degrees of vee with a delta pad.Used 5456 aluminum and designed it to be lite but strong.It sees a lot of use through the summer months as it is my main transportation and has worked out very well for me.

jrumon

TDI
Jetta TDI 2000 Canyon Red
Check This Out...

VW MARINE ENGINES:
http://media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9797

23 December 2005
VOLKSWAGEN MARINE ENGINES NOW AVAILABLE IN USA

Distribution Contract with Ring Power signed

WOLFSBURG, Germany - Volkswagen Marine engines are now also distributed in the United States. A corresponding distribution agreement was signed with American company Ring Power Corporation, Florida.

Volkswagen Marine engines are distributed in Europe since 2001. The contract with Ring Power gives Volkswagen Marine access to a market which is several times bigger than Europe and Oceania combined. This is a major step forward in the global distribution of Volkswagen Marine.
Volkswagen AG welcomes this partnership in light of the excellent reputation enjoyed by Ring Power both for their distribution and service of the entire Caterpillar range in Central- and Northern Florida, and for their further commercial activities which will give Volkswagen Marine access to the entire United States. Ring Power has made a substantial initial order of Volkswagen Marine Engines.
The American company will now implement a network of extensively trained Volkswagen Marine partners in all regions of the United States where there is a market for pleasure craft. Product launch in the United States is planned for spring 2006.
Ring Power takes the opportunity to offer users of compact engines a well defined offer of Volkswagen Marine engines, which have extreme refinement, exceptional environmental friendliness, low fuel consumption and minimized maintenance requirements in common – including features like oil change at the touch of a button and automatic adjustment of valve clearance and drive belt tension.
The engines are an outstanding alternative to existing diesel engines for owners of pleasure craft from 18ft upwards. These compact, light weight, high speed and fuel economic diesel engines will be offered in configurations with stern drive, shaft drive and sail drive. This enables entry into the American market for water-ski, sport boat, sport cruiser, sport fish, trawler and sailboat markets.

http://media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9797

jrumon

TDI
Jetta TDI 2000 Canyon Red
More Vw Marine Motors Info...

http://boatdiesel.com/Engines/Volkswagen/Volkswagen.cfm?&CFApp=19&RED=UN1166709717703

Engine Specifications which include current ratings,
dimensions and photographs are available for the following
VOLKSWAGEN marine diesel engines.

SDI 45-4 - Old Model. Natural 4 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 44.3 SAE HP
SDI-40-4 - Current Model. Natural 4 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 38.9 SAE HP
SDI-50-4 - Current Model. Natural 4 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 49.6 SAE HP
SDI-55-5 - Current Model. Natural 5 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 53.6 SAE HP
SDI-60-4 - Current Model. Natural 4 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 59.0 SAE HP
SDI-75-5 - Current Model. Natural 5 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 73.8 SAE HP
TDI 115-4 - Old Model. Turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 114 SAE HP
TDI-100-5 - Current Model. Turbocharged 5 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 99.2 SAE HP
TDI-120-5 - Current Model. Turbocharged 5 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 118 SAE HP
TDI-150-5 - Current Model. Turbocharged 5 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 149 SAE HP
TDI-165-5 - Current Model. 5 cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 162 SAE HP
TDI-225-6 - Current Model. 6V cylinder diesel with ratings of Pleasure Duty 221 SAE HP:(0.00kW).
They also have a 300hp TDI V10...

Huweth

TDI
2001 Passat TDI PD Sport
Hi Snakescreek.
In the UK we mostly use manuals from Haynes. http://www.haynes.co.uk/
They are very good, and always have wiring diagrams. Take a look at the website to see if they have the book for your car (sorry, engine), I'd be very suprised if they don't!