120k Mile Service? 2012 T3 TDI Lux

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Hi All:

My 2012 TDI LUX is nearing 110k miles and is closing in on the end of its warranty coverage for both CPO and emissions which is at the end of September 2021. What needs to be done or should be done at 120k miles? I'm planning on tuning and deleting the DPF as soon as it is out of warranty. I would plan on having an independent experienced TDI mechanic do the work. I'm planning to keep at least 1 more year and do about 2k - 3k miles per month. Any advice would be appreciated!

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
How long have you owned it, and what kind of services have you had performed thus far?
I've had it since 72k miles when it was recommissioned. Prior to sale they replaced the Ad-Blue heater. I've kept up with 10k mile services (i.e. LOF, cabin filters). At 84k miles the HPFP failed (happened to my 11 JSW too 10 years ago) last March so they replaced all 3 fuel pumps, injectors, lines, etc.. Did front and rear brakes at 95k miles including fluid flush. Outside of that nothing else.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Well, there's LOTS that should've been done if you want to do things properly..... do you have the maintenance schedule?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maintenance Cards_USA_Touareg_3.0L TDI_June 2013
2012 Volkswagen Touareg Maintenance Schedule For USA 3.0L TDI Engine
Miles10K20K30K40K50K60K70K80K90K100K110K120K
AdBlue®. Fluid: Check fluid level and add if necessary (3.0L TDI only)XXX6,*XXX6,*XXX6,*
Airbag system: Perform visual inspection
(Every 1 year regardless of mileage)
1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *
Air filter element and snow filter: Replace element and clean screen and housing
(Every 6 years regardless of mileage)
7, *7, *
Battery: CheckXXXXXX
Body: Visual inspection for corrosionXXX
Brake pads: Check thickness and brake disc condition (front and rear)XXXXXX
Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition front and rear. Look for contact pattern and corrosion of brake discs, and check brake fluid level subject to abrasionXXXXXX
Brake fluid and clutch unit: Change fluid (Every 3 years regardless of mileage and every 2 years after)4, *4, *4, *4, *4, *
Coolant level and frost protection: CheckXXX
CV joints: Check for leaks and damageXXX
Diesel Particulate Filter: Perform after the first 120,000 miles or 120,000 miles after a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) replacement. Check ash loading according to manufacturer work procedure; Replace if necessary. NOTE: If DPF replacement is not necessary, perform check every 20,000 miles thereafter until replacement becomes necessary.X
Door checks and mounting pins: LubricateXXX
Dust and pollen filter: Replace
(Every 2 years regardless of mileage)
2, *2, *2, *2, *2, *2, *
Engine: Change oil and replace oil filterXXXXXXXXXXXX
Engine and engine compartment components: Check (from above) for leaks and damageXXX
Engine and engine compartment components: Check (from below) for leaks and damage, check transmission, final drive, and drive shaft bootsXXX
Exhaust system: Check for leaks, damage and secure fittingsXXX
Fuel filter: ReplaceXXXXXX
Headlights: Check adjustmentXXX
Interior lighting and glove box lights, cigarette lighter / power outlets, horn, and all warning lamps: CheckXXX
Lighting: Front and rear lights, luggage compartment lighting, turn signals, hazard warning lights: CheckXXX
Power steering: Check oil levelXXX
Rear window: Check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)XXXXXXXXXXXX
Ribbed belt: Check conditionXXX
Service interval display: ResetXXXXXXXXXXXX
Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to the driver's side door pillarXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sunroof and panoramic sunroof: Check, clean, and lubricate (if applicable)XXX
Sunroof: Open sunroof and check front water drains and clean if necessary
(if applicable)
XXXXXX
Test drive: Check braking, kickdown, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, handling, and parking brakeXXX
Tie rod ends: Check for excessive play and looseness, check bootsXXX
Tires: Check tread depth, condition, tire age, wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)XXXXXX
Tires: Rotate front to rearXXXXXXXXXXXX
Tire mobility kit: Check and observe expiration date on the tire filler bottle (Every 2 years regardless of mileage)3, *3, *3, *3, *3, *3, *
Tire mobility kit: Replace tire filler bottle
(Every 4 years regardless of mileage)
5, *5, *5, *
Underbody sealant: Inspect for damageXXX
Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, Check fluid level and add if necessaryXXXXXXXXXXXX

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Maintenance Cards_USA_Touareg_3.0L TDI_June 2013
AdBlue®. Fluid: Check fluid level and add if necessary (3.0L TDI only)XXX6,*XXX6,*XXX6,*
Airbag system: Perform visual inspection
(Every 1 year regardless of mileage)
1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *1, *
Air filter element and snow filter: Replace element and clean screen and housing
(Every 6 years regardless of mileage)
7, *7, *
Battery: CheckXXXXXX
Body: Visual inspection for corrosionXXX
Brake pads: Check thickness and brake disc condition (front and rear)XXXXXX
Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition front and rear. Look for contact pattern and corrosion of brake discs, and check brake fluid level subject to abrasionXXXXXX
Brake fluid and clutch unit: Change fluid (Every 3 years regardless of mileage and every 2 years after)4, *4, *4, *4, *4, *
Coolant level and frost protection: CheckXXX
CV joints: Check for leaks and damageXXX
Diesel Particulate Filter: Perform after the first 120,000 miles or 120,000 miles after a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) replacement. Check ash loading according to manufacturer work procedure; Replace if necessary. NOTE: If DPF replacement is not necessary, perform check every 20,000 miles thereafter until replacement becomes necessary.X
Door checks and mounting pins: LubricateXXX
Dust and pollen filter: Replace
(Every 2 years regardless of mileage)
2, *2, *2, *2, *2, *2, *
Engine: Change oil and replace oil filterXXXXXXXXXXXX
Engine and engine compartment components: Check (from above) for leaks and damageXXX
Engine and engine compartment components: Check (from below) for leaks and damage, check transmission, final drive, and drive shaft bootsXXX
Exhaust system: Check for leaks, damage and secure fittingsXXX
Fuel filter: ReplaceXXXXXX
Headlights: Check adjustmentXXX
Interior lighting and glove box lights, cigarette lighter / power outlets, horn, and all warning lamps: CheckXXX
Lighting: Front and rear lights, luggage compartment lighting, turn signals, hazard warning lights: CheckXXX
Power steering: Check oil levelXXX
Rear window: Check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)XXXXXXXXXXXX
Ribbed belt: Check conditionXXX
Service interval display: ResetXXXXXXXXXXXX
Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to the driver's side door pillarXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sunroof and panoramic sunroof: Check, clean, and lubricate (if applicable)XXX
Sunroof: Open sunroof and check front water drains and clean if necessary
(if applicable)
XXXXXX
Test drive: Check braking, kickdown, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, handling, and parking brakeXXX
Tie rod ends: Check for excessive play and looseness, check bootsXXX
Tires: Check tread depth, condition, tire age, wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)XXXXXX
Tires: Rotate front to rearXXXXXXXXXXXX
Tire mobility kit: Check and observe expiration date on the tire filler bottle (Every 2 years regardless of mileage)3, *3, *3, *3, *3, *3, *
Tire mobility kit: Replace tire filler bottle
(Every 4 years regardless of mileage)
5, *5, *5, *
Underbody sealant: Inspect for damageXXX
Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, Check fluid level and add if necessaryXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thank you for this. Sorry I should have been clearer that I've been following the schedule in the sense of I've had the dealership do this (I have a good local dealer I trust). I was asking more about front/rear differentials, transmission fluid, etc. VW says they are lifetime but I've seen people post about changing theirs. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should plan for in the next 5-6 months.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depends on your use and intended "service life".
People who tow or beat on them a lot, will typically do diff\transfer case fluid changes around 60-80k intervals..... some do it as often as 40k but that seems overkill. If you're just a mall cruiser, you can probably do 100k intervals..... if you haven't had any of them yet, I would suggest doing all of them, unless you plan on getting rid of it in the next year or so.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brake fluid flushes should be done every 2 years if you really want to avoid corrosion and stuff.... but I know almost no one does this. (myself included)

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Depends on your use and intended "service life".
People who tow or beat on them a lot, will typically do diff\transfer case fluid changes around 60-80k intervals..... some do it as often as 40k but that seems overkill. If you're just a mall cruiser, you can probably do 100k intervals..... if you haven't had any of them yet, I would suggest doing all of them, unless you plan on getting rid of it in the next year or so.
This. Mine was used for towing purposes and while it is not a diesel, at 120k it needs a transmission solenoid/s rebuild. It is a common maintenance/issue at that mileage for most VW/Audi autotragics. The stealership tried to charge me $1750 for the unit alone and God knows how much more to install a $500 diy job.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I don't see towing causing problems with the solenoids, but perhaps other wear parts. Of course it would depend on the engine as the gas engine would have to downshift more than the Diesel.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Towing makes the rig work harder, creates more heat, accelerates wear on mechanical parts, increases fluid "break down", yaddy yaddi yadda......
It's they equivalent of "severe use" conditions on just about anything. (tires, brakes, fluids, etc)

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been putting off rebuilding the transmission valve body and associated solenoids and I'm starting to get paranoid about it. Could putting it off possibly destroy the torque-convertor? I have driven it rather slow for the first day of ownership just because mpg is horrid. In rare situations I get the hard stutter when switching gears but it is not consistent and rarely occurs.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What are you details? Some Touareg (possibly an earlier gasser) that gets horrid MPG while towing (a 30' TT)?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchased it specifically for the R32 motor for a future swap. It has tall wrangler tires and I get a measly 10mpg. It's an '04 with 121k miles with a proper tow package, so after giving it a second glance over I figure it could be driven for quite a bit more before I get to the project of stripping the motor. Only thing in my way is that occasional stutter from the trans. I would like to keep it running and maybe tow a bike to the tracks.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, so your T1 gasser is nothing like the OP in here.... it's got a gutless\torqueless engine (for being such a large suv) that depending on the engine code either had 217hp or 237hp and something like 225ft-lb of tq back in the day. 120k later, who knows how much of that output is still around. Add to that the fact that you've got a different tranny\transfer case, two less gears and taller tires hindering the final gearing even more, I'm not sure what your MPG expectations are.

I also can't figure out what you mean by "proper tow package"? So what, you have a factory tow bar?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
All that is true and I am not too concerned about mpg, and I am OK with this motor in this suv because it is the most reliable one for the touareg.

Plus, the motor is for my mk2 GTI. But since there are more miles left in the rest of the car, I wonder if the torque converter is being affected by my indecision to dump $500 into rebuilding it.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
And the whole proper-tow-package thing, it has two balls, not one. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the whole proper-tow-package thing, it has two balls, not one. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
No idea... but if I had to guess, I'd assume you're referring to the sway control "small side ball" on whatever aftermarket hitch came with it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Receiving 00260 code on VCDS. Some pos broke my front passenger window so now I am not sure if I want to fix the truck, and wondering how long I could possibly ride it without anything else being effected driveline wise. Like I said, for the time being it is almost a non-issue and the shift-jerk is rare and days/weeks apart.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're already checked your wiring? If it's just one solenoid acting up, maybe it's worth replacing.... shouldn't run you $500 unless you have a garage do it for you.

SSP said:
The solenoid valve N89 is located in the control valve assembly. It works as a yes/no solenoid valve, opening or closing an ATF channel. When the solenoid valve is opened, the ATF pressure on the converter bypass coupling is increased. If the solenoid valves N88 and N89 are opened simultaneously, the brake B2 closes so that the ”engine brake” is effective in Tiptronic mode, 1st gear. If it is not under power, the valve is closed.

Effect of signal drop-out
If the signal to the solenoid valve N89 drops out, the converter bypass coupling can no longer be subjected to the maximum ATF pressure. Driving with the ”engine brake” is impossible.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've replaced plenty of solenoids in Aisin automatics, including the ones used in T'regs. No big deal.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
You're already checked your wiring? If it's just one solenoid acting up, maybe it's worth replacing.... shouldn't run you $500 unless you have a garage do it for you.
I've replaced plenty of solenoids in Aisin automatics, including the ones used in T'regs. No big deal.
As soon as I go to check the wiring, it's all fluids out and at that point, I might as well refurbish/replace everything including the filter and new wiring. Myself doing this will cost $700 for all parts. Refurbished valve body is $500 itself

And I don't know if it is worth it for me to change a single 89 solenoid and then another one goes bad. Sorry to hijack the thread OP.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
It all depends on what your intended service life for it is....
Here's something that you might find useful if you don't already have it.....
Yeah, thanks for that. One look at that cutout and I am 100% sure that it will effect the torque converter and at the point where the whole transmission has to be pulled the car is deemed trash. Now I have to decide if I plan to take this track thing seriously. Fwiw, I have always loved how T1's looked and their rugged capabilities. It really is a great vehicle for NYC roads and on the highway it's butter smooth.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I watched a few in-depth videos and as I suspected the thransmission valve body is directly responsible for addressing a few functionalities of the torque converter.