115v rear outlet not working

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The 115v outlet in my 09 sedan is not working at this point in time. When replacing the 30AMP fuse, it blows immediately. I tried a second fuse to be sure, and it blew as well.

I have access to VAG-COM, however I am a complete newbie and not sure if it is possible to diagnose the issue with it. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to troubleshoot this? I am willing to take the car apart if necessary :)

GPS Tech

TDI
1998 Jetta
Is there anything plugged into the outlet? if there is I will take that out first.U can test to see if it is grounded out with a volt meter.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Currently I do not have anything plugged in, and the fuse has been removed from the fusebox as it will blow immediately. This is with the ignition off.

This afternoon I will attempt to work on it again, we'll check the grounding first.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I wouldn't think there would be power there to blow the fuse. Since in my car the AC power is only on if the engine is running. But then again that depends on where the switch/relay is in the circuit.

GPS Tech

TDI
1998 Jetta
Take the meter put it on ohms. One lead to a known good ground. The other to the center of the outlet. Some meters have a audible if not a reading. Of 0.0 means the positive is connected to the ground. A short. Circuit in other words.

vdubber4life

Banned
TDI
mkiv, mkiii
If you pull that side of the trunk lining away, there is a plug in that back of that electric port that can become disconnected. Look to see if its plugged in.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Thanks for the suggestion, we'll try again this weekend. We looked at the center console, but have no idea how to dis-assemble it at this point without breaking some parts if this becomes necessary. I saw a Service Manual from Bentley Publishers, would this be a useful purchase?

Upside u symbol is ohms

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Are you referring to the 12v outlet in the trunk on the passenger side? I've plugged my GPS in to verify this outlet, and it is functional. Is it related to the 115/110 outlet in the center console in some way?

If you pull that side of the trunk lining away, there is a plug in that back of that electric port that can become disconnected. Look to see if its plugged in.

2RENU

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
I have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI. I purchased it brand new and the 115v AC plug has never worked. I'm trying to figure out which fuse is used for this inverter. I know that it is a 30A fuse but is it in the interior fuse box or under the hood? which one is it exactly? My car has no fuse mapping diagram for either fuse box. *I guess they don't want us in there messing around ;)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
For a 2011 car, I'd let VW do the repairs.

2RENU

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
For a 2011 car, I'd let VW do the repairs.
Yeah I hear ya but it's just not convenient to go to the dealership for every little thing. And when she was in for her 10,000 mile service i forgot to ask them about this AC inverter issue.

Does anyone know which fuse it is? ? ?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI. I purchased it brand new and the 115v AC plug has never worked. I'm trying to figure out which fuse is used for this inverter. I know that it is a 30A fuse but is it in the interior fuse box or under the hood? which one is it exactly? My car has no fuse mapping diagram for either fuse box. *I guess they don't want us in there messing around ;)
I don't know what fuse either, but am annoyed by the lack of fuse map also, but I think at least your car has a traction control switch! :mad:

Mine has two acc. sockets, one under the air con controls and in the back seat area in the center console back. The ignition has to be on for either to work, I imagine yours is too and you knew that. :rolleyes:

Since whichever one has never worked, perhaps the wire connector was never completely pushed on at the factory. If you take out the tray in front of the shift lever, the wire for that one it is pretty tight.

2RENU

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
I don't know what fuse either, but am annoyed by the lack of fuse map also, but I think at least your car has a traction control switch! :mad:

Mine has two acc. sockets, one under the air con controls and in the back seat area in the center console back. The ignition has to be on for either to work, I imagine yours is too and you knew that. :rolleyes:

Since whichever one has never worked, perhaps the wire connector was never completely pushed on at the factory. If you take out the tray in front of the shift lever, the wire for that one it is pretty tight.
Hey Dozenspeed, Thanks for the the reply. I am actually referring to the AC "alternating current" power inverter at the back of the center console. Not sure if your car has that or not.

It looks like "JCREWS" has saved the day with both the fuse socket suggestion and links to 2 fuse box mappings.

Thanks JCREWS!

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Trying to find someone who might have fixed a 2015 SportWagen issue. My 30A fuses pop on contact with the fuse box :(