114 pounds (weight) to refuel today

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
How many pounds does an A4 wagon hold? My fuel light was on for about 50+ miles. When I got home I put my 3 jerry cans on the scale. I emptied them and got the 114 pounds. I did not fill the tank totally up but I guess it was fairly full. Sorry for the inaccuracies but I only own 3 jerry cans which I refill when I fill the tank with B100.

Off to google to see if I can find the specific weight per gallon.

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
Gasoline weighs less than water, about 6.5 pounds per gallon. Diesel is more dense, about 7.0 pounds per gallon. Assuming a vented tank, you should be able to fit 16.5 gallons max. This means maximum fuel weight is about 115 pounds.

Last edited:

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
I saw weight listed at 7 to 7.3 pounds per gallon. I am not allowed to pump my bio so I never get a good chance to see what my mileage really is. I just guess which is not pleasing to the accuracy nerd.

04PDWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
DrSmile said:
Gasoline weighs less than water, about 6.5 pounds per gallon. Diesel is more dense, about 7.0 pounds per gallon. Assuming a vented tank, you should be able to fit 16.5 gallons max. This means maximum fuel weight is about 115 pounds.
I've found that my '04 wagon can hold more fuel than that. Hell, if I fuel up at the low fuel light I can get 15.9 gallons fully vented. I have had 3-4 fillups of 17.1xx gallons and one 17.232 gallon fillup. This has been at various different ULSD pumps so I doubt that they are all over stating how much is being pumped. I've never run it dry so I don't know how much extra is left. Add in the 12oz of diesel kleen and the 17.232 is actually 17.326 gallons. That would give me about 121lbs of fuel.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
Georgia is a self serve state if you buy from a retail shop. The only place I can find B100 is at a wholesale distributor that does a bit of almost retail.

So here is a question I will answer next time I buy chicken fat B100. How much does it weigh? It seems that 7-7.3 pounds per US gallon is the possible weight of diesel.

Reviewing my refuel spreadsheet it seems that just about 16 gallons is my typical full tank.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I found that the fuel I'm getting is a mix of soy and chicken fat... glad to see I'm not the only one whos egetting chicken fat biodiesel :)

mrspindlelegs

TDI
Golf TDI, 2004, Reflex Silver
My employer buys Biodiesel for use in a solvent cleaning product. Our incoming QC specification range for density is 0.86 - 0.89 g/ml at 68 - 77°F. This gives a range of 7.177 to 7.427 lb/gallon. The average is 7.30 lb/gal. Thus, rounding off to 7.3 lb/gal should be good enough for government work.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
I weighed a gallon but I did not have a calibrated beaker. I measured a gallon of water on my scale at 8.34 pounds. I filled the next gallon jug with B100 to the same level and it weighed 7.38 pounds. My scale was not accurate enough to do a good tare weight though. ;-( This was an Alpine digital scale for weighing bicycles. Not super accurate but I do not have any calibration weights to confirm my theory. My bikes seem to weigh the same on the digital scale as they do on the doctors office beam scale.

So I agree 7.3-7.4 for chicken fat biodiesel. Even 7.3 which mrspindlelegs suggest is probably more accurate as I have way too many variables. No calibrated beaker. No calibrated/confirmed scale. No factor for it being 90+F today.

Thanks for the numbers windjammer and mrspindlelegs. They confirm close enough my guess. I will nerd out some other time when I have confirmed my scale accuracy and I have a calibrated container.