1000 miles in my 2010 Golf TDI

ultranaut

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 2-door
Today I passed 1000 miles on my Golf. If I remember correctly it had 8 on it when I bought it. I've had the car one week. In general I love the Golf and overall would rather drive it than any other car I have driven thus far in my life. Including the BMW I took on a road trip last year. I look forward to driving my Golf every morning to work and every evening home.

That said, there are several things I believe prevent it from being perfect:

1) The steering wheel column dips down too far. I guess I like my wheel a little unusually low, or my seat unusually high, because in the most comfortable position I easily hit my knees. Getting in and out of the car is worse but it also happens while driving, unless I keep both legs stretched out. I'm currently trying to get used to it being a little higher than I would normally like because I hate hitting my knees.

1a) Related to this is the center arm rest. To put it bluntly, it sucks in almost every way. My biggest issue with it is that it is placed too far back in the car and/or is too short to really be useful, even extended to its maximum length. Just an inch or so further would improve the arm rest 75% for me. The lid on it is bizarre as well, it has two settings, one of which makes the second center cup holder useless. Speaking of which, if you place a drink with a straw in that cup holder you will hit it with your fingers if you grip the front of the arm rest. You can still do it but don't be surprised if you poke your hand on the straw. I found that one out while holding onto it through a very tight turn, not the time I like to be distracted by things poking into me. Maybe I just need to turn slower :)
Also, you can't access the tiny storage in the arm rest while driving. At least not safely.

1b) As mentioned above, the cup holders in the middle suck. It's an awkward location to store drinks and if used they interfere with the arm rest. To me it seems like VW designed the car and at the very end realized they had forgot the cup holders.

2) The drivers side door leaks sound. Everywhere else in the car is impressively dampened except for a little spot right near my left ear. I always drive with the stereo on so it's easy enough to tune out. What's weird is the sounds are distorted when they leak through, driving next to another car it's engine sounds almost like if you hold your ear up to an open carbonated beverage in a can. It's like a fizzing noise with a slight metallic quality, very strange.

3) The cruise control is awkward to use. I really prefer cruise control to be accessible on the steering wheel itself. It makes it easy to do minute adjustments to your speed. If I could, I would replace the volume adjuster on the steering wheel with the cruise control speed adjuster. I don't need to change volume nearly as often as I need to change speed. I do most of my driving on cruise control and adjust my cruise control speed very often.

4) The touchscreens have no place in a car. I can't feel what buttons I'm pressing, without tactile feedback I have to look if I want to be sure I'm hitting the right button. I usually have much more important things to look at than my stereo while I'm driving. If it had actual buttons it wouldn't require so much attention to. It's not a huge issue since the major controls like volume and switching between radio and disk can be done with buttons. If you want to do something as simple as change to another CD though, the touchscreen requires your attention. It may be that I will memorize where each button in the primary menus of the UI are located after a longer period with the car, right now though I don't feel safe doing anything with the touchscreen unless I'm stopped.

5) The texture of the seat fabric is a little rough. I've found that if I wear a t-shirt it can sometimes slide up a little on my lower back and expose my skin directly to the seat fabric. This a very minor issue to me but I can easily imagine a girl in shorts or a mini skirt (and/or bikini) being irritated by it. Or a nudist... You get the idea.

BrettN

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Congrats!
I just went past 1000 miles on my 2010 JSW TDI this week, having myself driven all but a handful of those miles. Also had my frist trip (~50 miles of mixed highway and city driving) where I averaged >42 mpg.
To comment on a couple of your points:
The cupholders and arm rest are much improved from my 2001 Jetta. I haven't used cruise control yet, so can't comment there. I haven't fiddled with the touchscreen much; I am using the steering wheel controls to scroll through my Sirius presets, though.
Hope you have many more 1000s of miles of happy motoring!

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Congrats on your Golf,
ultranaut said:
1) The steering wheel column dips down too far. I guess I like my wheel a little unusually low, or my seat unusually high, because in the most comfortable position I easily hit my knees. Getting in and out of the car is worse but it also happens while driving, unless I keep both legs stretched out. I'm currently trying to get used to it being a little higher than I would normally like because I hate hitting my knees.
how long are your legs, at 6'3" with my long legs I have never hit my knees, have you tried lowering your seat or raising the steering wheel?

want to hit your knees, I would suggest test driving a PT cruiser. :mad:

ultranaut said:
1b) As mentioned above, the cup holders in the middle suck. It's an awkward location to store drinks and if used they interfere with the arm rest. To me it seems like VW designed the car and at the very end realized they had forgot the cup holders.
I concur, try having a foam cup with a straw in it, I have poked a hole in the bottom of two cups sofar.

ultranaut said:
2) The drivers side door leaks sound. Everywhere else in the car is impressively dampened except for a little spot right near my left ear. I always drive with the stereo on so it's easy enough to tune out. What's weird is the sounds are distorted when they leak through, driving next to another car it's engine sounds almost like if you hold your ear up to an open carbonated beverage in a can. It's like a fizzing noise with a slight metallic quality, very strange.
mine just leaks, driving in the rain yesterday I got a semi regular drip falling on my arm or leg.
Dealer is working on it now.

ultranaut said:
3) The cruise control is awkward to use. I really prefer cruise control to be accessible on the steering wheel itself. It makes it easy to do minute adjustments to your speed. If I could, I would replace the volume adjuster on the steering wheel with the cruise control speed adjuster. I don't need to change volume nearly as often as I need to change speed. I do most of my driving on cruise control and adjust my cruise control speed very often.
maybe I have gotten used to VW's cruise, but I love the location and use of the controls, I can adjust speed and reset the speed with only my Left hand.
I think the location is much better in my father's Cadillac with the controls located on the steering wheel where you bump the buttons during normal operation of the vehicle.
I like the small speed indicator in the MFA window on the Golf, giving you a speed that the cruise is configured for if you are resuming a speed.
I do wish it had configurable speed buttons on the front of the stalk, 3-4 buttons would be great were you could set 30, 45 and 60 MPH speed settings with one button touch.

ultranaut said:
4) The touchscreens have no place in a car. I can't feel what buttons I'm pressing, without tactile feedback I have to look if I want to be sure I'm hitting the right button. I usually have much more important things to look at than my stereo while I'm driving. If it had actual buttons it wouldn't require so much attention to. It's not a huge issue since the major controls like volume and switching between radio and disk can be done with buttons. If you want to do something as simple as change to another CD though, the touchscreen requires your attention. It may be that I will memorize where each button in the primary menus of the UI are located after a longer period with the car, right now though I don't feel safe doing anything with the touchscreen unless I'm stopped.
I have gotten good at glance and stab, the "button" areas are plenty big, even for my ample fingers. my eyes are not off the road longer than they would be for checking gauges or mirrors.

ultranaut said:
5) The texture of the seat fabric is a little rough. I've found that if I wear a t-shirt it can sometimes slide up a little on my lower back and expose my skin directly to the seat fabric. This a very minor issue to me but I can easily imagine a girl in shorts or a mini skirt (and/or bikini) being irritated by it. Or a nudist... You get the idea.
humm, my girl likes the fabric feel. if you have to imagine a girl in your car then I feel sorry for you...
Personlly I like it better than the Velour of previous generations. but would have a big preference of Leather over the sport cloth.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
ultranaut said:
To me it seems like VW designed the car and at the very end realized they had forgot the cup holders.

Real cars don't need no stickin' cupholders!!! :)

But about the cruise thing. The first 1000 miles I absolutely hated the cruise control on the signal stalk. Now it's old hat. What I truly love about the cruise though is that it shows the MPH you have it set at. What a brilliant idea, when the speed limit changes and you hit it five times up or down you no longer have to guess how many times you just hit it. It's all right there in the instrument cluster. Now the cancel function is a bit hard to get right sometimes. But... at least they didn't add another button.

As for the arm rest, you know it has a bunch of settings between fully down and the upper setting? Just lift it up to where you think you want it and then put your arm on it, it'll fall about a half inch and then stay...

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
ultranaut said:
I think there is a way to disable the touchscreen and use the stereo by just touching the side buttons. Don't quote me on that, but i thought i saw that when i was going thru setup in the stereo functions.

Nevermind, it only shuts the tone and not the touchscreen. nevermind! :)

Last edited:

StoBro2

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I only have about 700 miles on my JSW TDI, but I've learned a few things in the last couple of weeks:

Operating the touch screen is a lot less intuitive than having discreet buttons for functions. No tactile feedback.

I've never had satellite radio before, so maybe it always sounds this way. The programming always seems to have a strange, phase-shifting sound to it. Definitely not high-fidelity.

The HVAC control knobs are not well marked. Trying to decipher where the air is being sent is not easy. The knobs need raised pointers and they need to be recessed so they don't block the markings surrounding them.

I always drive with both hands on the wheel, so I don't care if the car has a center armrest or not. I'll never use it.

Likewise, every car I've had for the last 15 years has had cruise control, and I think I've used it maybe three times. Another feature I never use.

I have experienced assorted buzzes from the dashboard area, but they seem to come and go at random. Every time I try to track down the source, I can't reproduce it.

For all of the reports that the new TDIs don't sound like the old diesels, that may be true, but mine still sounds like a diesel, whether idling or accelerating. It's not necessarily bad, but I don't think anyone would be fooled into thinking it's a gasser.

PetiteFlower

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
The cruise control on the stalk bugs me too, but mostly because on my last car, it was where the volume control is on my 09. So I keep going to change the speed and turning the radio way up or down! But I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, I've only gotten past the 5000 mile mark where CC use is allowed (according to the break-in guide) in the past few weeks :)

ultranaut

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 2-door
I think I've found a seat/wheel position that works for me to be comfortable and not hit my knees. I'm still not happy about the arm rest length but I'm getting used to it. I haven't messed with it too much as far as adjustments go, it seems like it decides to stay in positions randomly.

I spent two hours on the freeway messing around with cruise control. I still greatly prefer controlling it from the steering wheel, but unless I have to turn it off entirely it's not too bad on the stalk.

I read my owners manual, it was very weird how it listed all of these features I've never heard of. Do any Golf TDIs come with adaptive cruise control, automatic parallel parking, or have side mirrors that angle downward automatically in reverse? First I've heard of any of these.

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
in Europe

They have these features in Europe, there is also a youtube video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEuFFv2A2RQ&feature=related it starts at time 2:11

The self park feature is pretty cool but too much technology IMO - and it makes you a less competent parallel parker!

We get less overall options here in the U.S. :eek: , but of course it is less expensive too. I really dig those wheels on the car, though, better than the stock Porto's.

ultranaut

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 2-door
Here's one that was really annoying me last night:

The sunroof knob is difficult to use in the dark. The little black dot that shows you which way it is oriented can't be seen except in good lightning conditions. If you try to shut the sunroof it's way too easy to mess up and not tell. You either turn it too far or not far enough. Why the hell didn't they make that little black dot light up like all the other knobs and buttons?!

Last edited:

ultranaut

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 2-door
surfingjdjohnson said:
They have these features in Europe, there is also a youtube video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEuFFv2A2RQ&feature=related it starts at time 2:11

The self park feature is pretty cool but too much technology IMO - and it makes you a less competent parallel parker!

We get less overall options here in the U.S. :eek: , but of course it is less expensive too. I really dig those wheels on the car, though, better than the stock Porto's.
God that blows my mind. Parallel parking is something most people suck at horribly, it seems a system like this would be a huge seller in the US. I don't mind parallel parking but it can be stressful sometimes because my girlfriend is one of the best parallel parkers I've ever seen, it's a little intense having someone like that in the car with you while you are doing your thing. If I could just hit a button and let the car handle it all...

Those wheels were pretty nice, I still like the Porto's better though. I'm not into wheels but I can't think of any "stock" wheels I've liked better than the Porto's.

Why does Europe get better cars?!?

ultranaut

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 2-door
StoBro2 said:
I've never had satellite radio before, so maybe it always sounds this way. The programming always seems to have a strange, phase-shifting sound to it. Definitely not high-fidelity.
Depending on the station mine is decent enough quality, I definitely get the strange phase shifting sort of sound. Sometimes it sounds kind of like an older cell phone with poor reception. What annoys me most is that the audio randomly cuts out. I'll be listening to the news and then suddenly there's 2 seconds of silence. I'd understand if there was some kind of overhead obstruction, like if I was in a tunnel or whatever, but in a wide open area things like that shouldn't happen. I'm increasingly doubtful I will pay for the subscription when the free 6 months runs out unless it's less than $5 a month.

colt

TDI
None - Yet!
ultranaut, I totally agree!!!! This is my only real complaint.
ultranaut said:
The sunroof knob is difficult to use in the dark. The little black dot that shows you which way it is oriented can't be seen except in good lightning conditions. If you try to shut the sunroof it's way too easy to mess up and not tell. You either turn it too far or not far enough. Why the hell didn't they make that little black dot light up like all the other knobs and buttons?!

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
ultranaut said:

YES! i wanted to say that as well, its winter here so we dont open it that often but i think the switch should have a light in it. I used it couple of times and had to turn on the light to see how it should be closed. The knob shoud have a light on it.

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just passed 5000 miles & 7 weeks on my Golf.
Here's my short list:
The steering has too much assist

The shifter needs more resistance, I find it really easy to shift past neutral by accident.

The climate control knobs either have to be angled towards the driver or rethought since it's really hard to tell by looking (especially during the day) and impossible to tell by feel what they are set at especially the vent control.

For short people the sunvisor is useless unless the seat height is all the way up.

I wish the seat could tilt foward and back.

The mirror knob just feels like it's going to break one day when turning the heated mirrors on and off.

AusTexRocker

TDI
2010 Golf 4 Dr-DSG-United Grey Metalic
I too am unhappy with the armrest. It just does not extend far enough out. I have also noticed the above mentioned issues with sunroof knob and climate control knob, but I am getting used to those. My Subaru had the cruise control on the stem also, so this feels normal ot me.
One thing I have noticed that no one else has mentioned though, when the sunroof is open, I get this really weird wind vibration sensation until I reach about 50 mph. If I open a side window it is not so bad. Anyone else experiencing this?

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
It hasn't been warm enough for me to open the sunroof for very long. But, I do seem to remember some slight buffeting when I did have it open...

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
AusTexRocker said:
I too am unhappy with the armrest. It just does not extend far enough out. I have also noticed the above mentioned issues with sunroof knob and climate control knob, but I am getting used to those. My Subaru had the cruise control on the stem also, so this feels normal ot me.
One thing I have noticed that no one else has mentioned though, when the sunroof is open, I get this really weird wind vibration sensation until I reach about 50 mph. If I open a side window it is not so bad. Anyone else experiencing this?
This is very typical of sunroofs in general. Kind of a standing wave phenomenon. Opening side windows does get around it. I have never been a fan of sunroofs for this reason and the leak liability. Others hate them because they intrude on headroom.

AusTexRocker

TDI
2010 Golf 4 Dr-DSG-United Grey Metalic
Yeah, standing wave says it very well. I did not want the sunroof but it was kinda forced on me. My Subaru's sunroof definately intruded on headroom. I bumped my head frequently but i NEVER had this buffeting effect with the side windows open or closed. No worries, I love this TDI and just hit my 1000 mile mark this morning on the way to work.