100,000 mile club

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Just wondering how many members have surpassed the 100,000 mile mark. I purchased my passat SE TDI with DSG in july of 2012 and hit 100,000 in dec of 2014.

I've had the following done or happen so far;

All maintenance done buy the dealer at all the recommended intervals

I put 6oz of power Kleen and 1qt of biodiesel in every fill up

86,255 turbo failure

87,101 exhaust flap replaced

93,044 VW replaced the turbo again and all Necessary parts after the extended warranty was issued ( My fidelity extended warranty covered the first one and re used a bunch of things that I was not happy about)

94,846 nox sensor and module replaced

99,722 update 23n5 performed

102,500 heater core replaced

Owning this vehicle so far has been interesting. It's my first VW and I must say drives like nothing I have owned before. Even at 100,000 I wouldn't say it feels any different than it did at 1000. If it wasn't for the turbo failure and the nightmare I had timing wise between my extended warranty company and VW corporate being difficult to work with I would say this was my favorite vehicle to date. I planned on seeing if I can hit 500,000 with it but in light of the turbo issues I now am not so sure that will be possible or economical if it fails again.

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I have a question- do you store your car in a garage? Temps are critical for these cars. Just let it idle a couple of minutes and see if you can make the DSG do its shifting at or below 2200 rpms. When you get to the first or second mark on the temp gauge increase your speed and shift points to 2500. When your oil warm up, all is good. Some people have engine heaters that they purchase aftermarket. Ask around for sourcing on that.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Formerowner
Car is kept outside. I try to start it and let it run until the temp hits 100F on the scan gauge. I also try and drive it very easy until its up to full operating temp. I am considering a frost heater now that it becomes more and more likely that the turbo issues are are heat related.

I would also like to thank everyone on this forum for the support and kindness that you provide.

The true measure of a man is how he treats those who can provide him no means of financial or social gain....

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I'm at 152,000 miles now. I've had 3 problems, first with the right rear window not going back up covered under warranty. Second was a headlight unit that went bad before the recall and lastly I had to replace the engine wiring harness 12,000 miles ago. Other than that just normal service every 10,000 miles.

Mine is kept outside as well. In the winter it usually idles about 10-15 minutes before I leave while I wait in the car for my sister to come out and get in to leave. Then I just drive gently until I get to the interstate to make sure everything is warmed up and working.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Hey Grove! I'm glad your car is fine! You are treating it like the wise man you are! Best wishes,

Shawn

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Car is still in the shop for the heater core. They called today and said the module that runs the door flaps isn't functioning properly. I checked before I took it in and there were no codes thrown though.

They are also telling me the one rear caliper is leaking and needs replaced. I did not notice any fluid slung inside the wheel well so I'm assuming it must have just started.

Car is worth around $12,000 and I still owe $16,000. When I purchased it I got a very very low rate so I didn't put much down. Just wondering what some opinions are on whether to keep it or if moving into something else makes more financial sense....

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Keep it. You have already taken most of the depreciation hit. The next 100,000 miles will be a lot less expensive even if you have to spend a couple thousand on repairs.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'd say keep it. Financially speaking here - repairs are probably much less than the $4k you're upside down and you really don't want to roll that into the next car and be even more upside down when you drive off the lot. Pay the car balance down if you can, hopefully to zero balance, then sell it/trade it and have some equity in the next car. It's easy to do - just estimate what your new car payments would be (likely higher) and start applying that to this one. I've been double paying my payments (over $900/mo) since I purchased my mine and now owe less than $17k on it. It hurts the bank balance every month but it's worth it to me as I would like to try going without a car payment for a few years (what a concept!), and then try to pay cash on my next vehicle.

If you had the turbo replaced twice, the second time around it should have been done correctly since VW now knows what the problem is and combined with the 23N5 update, you shouldn't have any future problems turbo wise (one can hope!).

geckonh

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Got car in March of 2012 and will turn 100k this week.

All service work done at dealer.
Turbo failed at 72k...VW replaced.
Most recent issue was passenger front and driver rear door latches have failed. $400/ea. Had one fail under warranty also. 3 of 4 door latches failing seems to be an issue and VW wants nothing to do with it. I have had contact with them about and was told I am SOL.