1.8T crank pulley on a TDI

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
99, white,2 door golf and 98, white, Jetta
My pulley came off on me the other day and took quite a beating. Was wondering if i could replace it with one off a 1.8T/2.0? They're a little lighter but what interests me more is they are more readily available and therefore cheaper. Both pulleys have the same overall diameter, serp belt groves, and bolt pattern. If anyone has any thoughts as to the pros/cons or if it'll work please weigh in.

ak47tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
99, white,2 door golf and 98, white, Jetta
None really. Luckily it fell off at idle sitting at a traffic light (after a short full throttle blast in 1st gear out of a parking lot). I drove through the intersection, pulled over ran back to grab my pulley, shim, serp belt off the ground and then i drove home. The next day i drove the car to my work. One of the techs fished out the 3 broken screws (one was missing), my dad filled the sharp spots off my pulley, we found some appropriate length bolts, and put it back together. Our efforts that day were to get me to a car show, i'm going to replace the pulley since i really don't trust it's still in perfect ballance.

Last edited: