1.6d to 1.6td wiring questions

CoalRollinMK2

TDI
MK2 Jetta
Hello all,
I’m starting to look for donor 1.6tds to swap into my 1989 Jetta 1.6NA. It’s a CE2 car, so I was wondering if it would be worth my time to source a 1.6td that came out of a CE2 car so the wiring is as plug and play as possible. Wiring is far from my strongest skill, so do you guys think it would be easier to swap a CE2 1.6td than a CE1? Or will it be relatively the same?
Thanks for any help!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hello all,
I’m starting to look for donor 1.6tds to swap into my 1989 Jetta 1.6NA. It’s a CE2 car, so I was wondering if it would be worth my time to source a 1.6td that came out of a CE2 car so the wiring is as plug and play as possible. Wiring is far from my strongest skill, so do you guys think it would be easier to swap a CE2 1.6td than a CE1? Or will it be relatively the same?
Thanks for any help!
Honestly, those cars electrically are so simple and rudimentary I can't imagine that you'd need to worry about it. The only difference I can think of between the the turbo and NA might have to do with the boost pressure sensor on the intake manifold...but otherwise there's just nothing to them and I think both the turbo and non-turbo cars would use almost the same sensors.

Besides, The US didn't get a TD car after 1987 (AFAIK) until the ECOdiesel cars in later 1991/92, and only those ~800 ECOdiesel cars would be CE2 for for diesel with a turbo.

I pulled a CE1 turbo D engine and trans last year, I don't think I got the harness, but I don't remember it being all that much, two oil pressure switches, starter, glow plugs, IP solenoid valve connection, maybe pump mounted switches for AC controls, but not much....

I wouldn't worry about it...TBH.

Steve

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Electrically the 1.6d and 1.6td are the same. There's no sensors on the boost side... the only electrical things on the engine are the glow plugs, fuel cutoff, oil pressure sensors, and temp sensor(s).
A late 1.6TD might have different plugs on the temp sensors... which you could just swap over.

-J