'09 Shudder problem

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
Just curious if anyone has had any problems with their jetta having hesitations/hiccups/shuddering.

Like clockwork after I start mine up and drive down the road about 1/2 mile holding the throttle steady it will have a hesitation or almost shudder and jerk then continue on. After this initial shudder it seems to do fine but almost always does it after a startup.

Since this car is manual and my last was dsg I have also noticed that while holding the throttle steady and travelling down hilly roads that when it goes over a hill it almost feels like it is defueling and has a slight shudder there also.

Anyone else having issues like this? I have 4K on it and I figured I would wait until the 5K oil change to bring this all up to the dealer.

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Yes I have noticed this also. Almost like a we used to call a flat spot. I have not noticed as much lately I'm sitting at 3600 miles.

Matthew 53

TDI
2012 6M Passat
Me too

Cudakid said:
Just curious if anyone has had any problems with their jetta having hesitations/hiccups/shuddering.

Like clockwork after I start mine up and drive down the road about 1/2 mile holding the throttle steady it will have a hesitation or almost shudder and jerk then continue on. After this initial shudder it seems to do fine but almost always does it after a startup.

Since this car is manual and my last was dsg I have also noticed that while holding the throttle steady and travelling down hilly roads that when it goes over a hill it almost feels like it is defueling and has a slight shudder there also.

Anyone else having issues like this? I have 4K on it and I figured I would wait until the 5K oil change to bring this all up to the dealer.
Yes, I've noticed this as well. (My car is a manual.) I had dealer check it -- he said the computer showed "no faults." At 2400 miles now it is less frequent. I was worried that I had gotten bad fuel.

Not to start another big ruckus, but why a 5K oil change?

Matthew

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
Matthew 53 said:
Yes, I've noticed this as well. (My car is a manual.) I had dealer check it -- he said the computer showed "no faults." At 2400 miles now it is less frequent. I was worried that I had gotten bad fuel.

Matthew
I believe the first oil change is 5K is it not? This is the break-in oil that needs changed.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Cudakid said:
I have also noticed that while holding the throttle steady and travelling down hilly roads that when it goes over a hill it almost feels like it is defueling and has a slight shudder there also.
I experience something like this, but only on one particular low hill on my commute; as I crest the hill the engine feels like it defuels for just about one second, then comes back up. No shudder, just a smooth hesitation. I finally figgered out how to avoid this: as I crest the hill I make sure not to move the go-pedal at all. My natural instinct is to back off on the go-pedal a little bit, and I suspect that the computer interprets the slight release of the pedal combined with the sudden disappearance of load on the engine (as the hill is crested) as a request to coast (and when it coasts it defuels). Like I say, if I keep from backing off on the pedal I don't experience the problem.

That shudder on start-up that you have, though...that's something I've never experienced.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Cudakid said:
I believe the first oil change is 5K is it not? This is the break-in oil that needs changed.
What does your owners manual say? Make sure you are looking at the schedule for the Diesel engine, not the gas ones.

The 06s got the first OC service at 5,000, but I thought they changed the schedule for the 09s to 10,000 miles for the initial OC.

Let us know what you find in the manual!

Bill

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I guess I expericenced the same thing about 3 times know, basically when I was proceding from a stop sign when I first start the car from sitting all night. I got a 6 speed stick with 4000 kms. But when I drove it off the lot with 25 kms the engine went on and the oxygen sensor had to be replaced. That O2 sensor was changed at 3300 kms and I haven't had the problem since.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
Vehicle hesitation

Cudakid said:

Yeap, I have been having same issue as you are.

Vehicle:
2009 TDI with 5,400 miles
Symptom:
Vehicle shudder / hesitation under light to moderate acceleration for less than a second
Description of symptoms and Discussion:
The hesitation occurs randomly, on cold or fully warmed up engine. When the event happens, it happens on 2nd, 3rd or 4th and 5th gear under light, sometimes moderate acceleration. It does not happen every day; there might be few days in between the occurrences.
During the event, which takes a less than a second, it “feels” like fuel supply is being cut off and then suddenly reinstated, which in turn jolts the vehicle forward.
By all means I’m not an experienced mechanic, but I’m trying to solve the problem before it gets bigger or triggers more problems. From my understanding, the IP is TB driven, so IP going bad is not an issue? Or is it? Lift pumps seems to be working; every time I turn the ignition on, I hear the lift pump.
Can this hesitation be caused by the exhaust system EGR valve? I have read posts that indicate that there is a valve in the exhaust system that opens/closes during the regen?
The fuel I have been getting is either from Hess or Sunoco, and the current “tank” is Shell.
Additionally, no “dash” warning lights are on nor were on. I presume that one step I could do is to perform scan for fault codes.
Obviously, diagnosing this problem will be hard due to its random occurrences.

pecosrunner

TDI
09 jetta sw
09 JSW, manual, has about 4k miles and I noticed it about the 3rd time i drove it(it's my wife's) My wife has not said anything, it doesn't surprise me, and i notice the "hiccup" usually on 3rd gear at a steady pedal pressure.no problems at high speeds down I-20 at 80MPH. I too will mention it to VW on service date.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Matthew 53 said:

Matthew
It is definitely 10K, and the dealer will not perform a no charge warranty oil change unless you're within a 1000 mile window on either side of 10K.

There IS NO BREAK IN OIL... VW hasn't used break in oil in years according to my highly experienced VW dealer. (Mechanics have been there over 25 years).

I too have noticed that "drop out" a couple of times. I thought it was related to the incline / decline sensor, but some of you are reporting this in the manual version - so that shoots that theory.

To me it feels like the car just loses all power for a brief moment. Upon applying pedal it responds as usual, wouldn't you agree?

Wes

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
wesk1954 said:
It is definitely 10K, and the dealer will not perform a no charge warranty oil change unless you're within a 1000 mile window on either side of 10K.

There IS NO BREAK IN OIL... VW hasn't used break in oil in years according to my highly experienced VW dealer. (Mechanics have been there over 25 years).

I too have noticed that "drop out" a couple of times. I thought it was related to the incline / decline sensor, but some of you are reporting this in the manual version - so that shoots that theory.

To me it feels like the car just loses all power for a brief moment. Upon applying pedal it responds as usual, wouldn't you agree?

Wes
I just keep the "go pedal" pressed and wait the split second for a sling shot.... :D

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Mine does it too. My wife has never noticed it...so I won't say anything!

It appears to be normal for this car...but pretty infrequent. I have noticed it maybe 4 times in 1,400 miles.

Tim

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
I have the same problem too,feels like a slipery clutch or something like that...

Same 6 speed manual trans 09

hoeser

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6spd Manual
I've noticed a little something like this, but usually it happens immediately after starting the car and pulling out of a parking space for example, it almost feels like it shut down for a half a second, then its fine. It hasn't done it for a while though.. at 3700km now.

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
pecosrunner said:
09 JSW, manual, has about 4k miles and I noticed it about the 3rd time i drove it(it's my wife's) My wife has not said anything, it doesn't surprise me, and i notice the "hiccup" usually on 3rd gear at a steady pedal pressure.no problems at high speeds down I-20 at 80MPH. I too will mention it to VW on service date.
Exactly. Mine seems to always be a steady light speed in 3rd gear when it does it.

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
hoeser said:
I've noticed a little something like this, but usually it happens immediately after starting the car and pulling out of a parking space for example, it almost feels like it shut down for a half a second, then its fine. It hasn't done it for a while though.. at 3700km now.
Yep, mine does not do it right away. Usually takes about 1/4 to 1/2 mile before it does it. Like clockwork though. After it does it once it stops. The other thing that I've noticed though is that if I am on a hilly road when I crest the top of a hill and go down the other side it'll defuel and cause a slight jerking sometimes too if I am holding the throttle steady.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
40X40 said:
What does your owners manual say? Make sure you are looking at the schedule for the Diesel engine, not the gas ones.

The 06s got the first OC service at 5,000, but I thought they changed the schedule for the 09s to 10,000 miles for the initial OC.

Let us know what you find in the manual!

Bill
Bill the 09 owners manual states 10k is the first OCI, so you are correct sir.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I'm convinced the hiccup in power is because of the incline/decline sensor. And if I top a small road incline at enough speed where it's one of those "roller coaster" moments, the power DEFINITELY drops out for a second. It HAS TO BE the hill sensor that is doing this, and I'm confident it's considered "normal".. however, that doesn't it explain what some of you are feeling with manual trannys... since they wouldn't have this sensor.

Wes

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
pecosrunner said:
I'm wondering if VW is aware about the "hiccup" yet?
If VWoA is monitoring this board... than yes they are aware of it.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I've felt it too and to me, it almost feels like a fuel starvation problem. If I get on the car, it revs right up though. I've tried different fuels and it still happens, so I'm thinking it's a characteristic of the emissions system. Also, if I slow down to a crawl and then speed up slightly in S, the trans drops down and shifts back up and jolts the car. I've been to the dealer and nothing was found, naturally.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
Add me to the list. At least I know I'm in good company. :D

09 JSW TDI Manual

-darren