09 Shocks and Strut question

T-MILLS

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
So I'm getting close to needing to replace my shocks and struts on my Jetta soon and would like to purchase some on idparts while they still have their Koni sale going on. My question is what shocks would y'all recommend? How comparable are the Koni STR.T shocks to the stock shocks? Or is it worth the extra money to buy the Koni sport or the Koni FSD. I have always thought the shocks and struts on the car give a decent ride and handling for the car. I would like to have a little more responsiveness in the suspension but I don't really want to sacrifice the ride quality. What are y'all's thoughts?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
wondering what you see that makes you want to change shocks/struts

T-MILLS

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
wondering what you see that makes you want to change shocks/struts
It's really just that my car is getting close to 110k so I'm going ahead and buying parts in preparation for needing to change them.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Suspension on this platform easily goes to 200K with no need to change shocks or struts. This is especially true for us comrades in Texas where we have great roads and very little corrosion from salting roads in bad weather. Save the money for a DPF or HPFP event instead.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
So I'm getting close to needing to replace my shocks and struts on my Jetta soon and would like to purchase some on idparts while they still have their Koni sale going on. My question is what shocks would y'all recommend? How comparable are the Koni STR.T shocks to the stock shocks? Or is it worth the extra money to buy the Koni sport or the Koni FSD. I have always thought the shocks and struts on the car give a decent ride and handling for the car. I would like to have a little more responsiveness in the suspension but I don't really want to sacrifice the ride quality. What are y'all's thoughts?
I have them in my setup along with VWR springs. I would recommend checking out vwvortex, as numerous post on the various combinations of suspension setups. STR.T struts are used in a lot of DG/VWR setups with great results. I enjoy my ride quality, after having a few cars on coil-overs the ride quality of my current setup is near factory, except its firm; the handling is very predictable and balanced.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You should understand that changing shocks is not trivial.

Have to pull the axle from the hub, and for some reason, the '09s have them bonded together. So it takes a pretty large force to get the axle out of the hub. Air impact, large hammers, heavy duty axle pullers (pushers in this case).

after applying all that force, other components which may becoming worn could also end up needing to be changed.

so my free advice for the day is to wait till you see some specific degraded performance. (unless you want to change the way the car works, then have at it, and good luck)

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
You should understand that changing shocks is not trivial.

Have to pull the axle from the hub, and for some reason, the '09s have them bonded together. So it takes a pretty large force to get the axle out of the hub. Air impact, large hammers, heavy duty axle pullers (pushers in this case).

after applying all that force, other components which may becoming worn could also end up needing to be changed.

so my free advice for the day is to wait till you see some specific degraded performance. (unless you want to change the way the car works, then have at it, and good luck)
I am getting ready to change the rear bearings (and hubs). I was understanding that these would pull off the axle fairly easily. Is this what you are talking about above?

Thanks,

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I am getting ready to change the rear bearings (and hubs). I was understanding that these would pull off the axle fairly easily. Is this what you are talking about above?
Thanks,
The rears are easier than the front hubs. I just changed all four wheel bearings. He's talking about the front hubs where the half shaft is sometimes hard to get out of the hub as the spline gets stuck.

There are some pretty good Utube videos on changing wheel bearings if you search around.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I did front struts without pulling the axles, rears are easy also. The rear bearings and hub aren't too hard to do, but the inner race could need persuading to get off, the hardest thing is to torque the axle bolt, 133 ft lbs then 180 degrees more, best to use a cheater and have someone hold the bit in the bolt with their foot to keep it from slipping, and it's a triple square bit.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was talking about the front bearings. sorry for any question.

the front bearings on mine were bonded to the axle.

My persuasion was a two pound harbor freight brass hammer on the couple turn out axle bolt. Finished up with a wooden dowel of the proper diameter and a few more whacks.

on the bright side, today I found a loose bolt which holds the bracket to the body (which also holds the subframe and LCA rear bracket) which could be the source of my chasing vibration.

I made an appt Tuesday afternoon with the local firestone place for another alignment and balance.